Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-09-12, 10:43 PM   #1
Togger
Unicyclist

Have To Turn Upper Body to Go Straight

I have limited riding experience, but I notice that in order to go straight, I have to put my right arm out directly to my side, but my left arm has to be pointing about 45 degrees forward. If they are both out to the side, I turn left. I feel that my body is lined up straight ahead though. Could this be caused by uneven sit bones, or uneven leg length?
Togger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 12:02 AM   #2
ImFalling
Graham

Its caused by inexperience. Ride more.
ImFalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 12:44 AM   #3
aarons
Eating a sandwich

Yeah. Your muscles are still adapting. You'll straighten out as you ride more.
aarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 12:48 AM   #4
emile
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to emile
Check if your seat is straight.
emile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 01:03 AM   #5
MTUni
Unicyclist

You might also check the surface you ride on. If you are on a crowned road, the crowning can mean you have to lean a little to balance.
MTUni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 02:28 AM   #6
kahunacohen
Unicyclist

I am a fairly experienced unicyclist and find that happens with a particular uni of mine. Maybe the frame is bent or something. Or I notice it happens when this particular uni's seat is not exactly centered. It's my Sem with a particular tire. I never have a problem with my Kris Holm. Not sure why exactly.
kahunacohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 05:41 AM   #7
Feisty
Unicyclist

Location: Worthing, England Unicycle 1: KH20 LN Sold Unicycle 2: KH24 (HS33) Sold Unicycle 3: 24 Impact Gravity Unicycle 4: KH26 (Disc) rebuilt Unicycle 5: KH29 (Disc) Unicycle 6: Triton 36 (Disc)
Everyone goes through that stage so don't fret it is as has been said due to inexperience, once you get super comfortable at riding yoru whole body relaxes and things just flow with yourmuscle memory doign everything for you

For me I found it was a hip thing, I was letting my right hip drop more on my dominant leg as that was pushing harder than the left, so by pushing harder on my left leg to even out the pedal forces it caused my left hip to drop and straighten my pelvis so I wasn't riding left shoulder forward to correct my lower body.

So basicaly try pushing / put more weight on the side of the shoulder you are leading with

Worked for me

Last edited by Feisty; 2012-09-13 at 05:42 AM.
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 04:37 PM   #8
4umfreak
Unicyclist

I have an off camber seat post, so that caused a bit of that for me. The mounting plate isn't welded on straight. I shimmed it with a couple washers on that side and it's much better but still not perfect.
If you want to rule out the uni, ride the same surface in the same direction with the uni under you backwards - do you still lean the same way?

Geagle Search Engine a unicyclist.com inspired search engine. (kh longneak vs shortbeak)
4umfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 01:19 AM   #9
GregHands
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4umfreak View Post
I have an off camber seat post, so that caused a bit of that for me. The mounting plate isn't welded on straight. I shimmed it with a couple washers on that side and it's much better but still not perfect.
If you want to rule out the uni, ride the same surface in the same direction with the uni under you backwards - do you still lean the same way?
You will also discover bent peddles that you didn't know you had by riding the uni "backwards"
GregHands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body, straight, turn, upper