Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-10-17, 03:15 PM   #16
ScaredOldKid
Unicyclist

Your are only as high as your down foot pedal is off the ground. Think about that more then how far your head is from the pavement.
Old 2017-10-17, 03:18 PM   #17
Unisiklet
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOldKid View Post
My fear was only overcome by raw determenation. I too fell twice backwards and that put the fear in deep. I put a mouse pad in my pants and it help remove some of the fear.
Two things worked for me.
First: get off the tennis court because it has mental stopping points. Go to a long sidewalk where you just look ahead and go.

Second: look around at people, trees, house, anything to help get your mind to not think about falling.
Cheers!
Will do !! Time to try different roads and pavements, and your other quote, "you are as far as your down foot",ahhh ,that ease my mind too thank you ,it is great to know it is not only me
20 inch Nimbus Trail, 137 mm crank

https://www.youtube.com/user/unisiklet/videos
Unisiklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-23, 01:43 AM   #18
Unisiklet
New Jersey

Day 13

Day 13
Uniycle learning Diary Day 13 for 36 inch big unicycle. [Nimbus Nightfox, 150 mm V2 cranks].. The second unicycle at the end of video is 20 inch nimbus trials , 137 mm crank . Here is the Youtube Video:
https://youtu.be/DkZJc0c7jMQ
After my unicycle day 1-11 post and all great recommendations , I tried to follow them : I changed my location from tennis court to lake walking road . Also pumped up my 20 inch old unicycle and practice on it,(After 36 inch, 20 inch felt soOo small and so close to the ground! &#128514. I also put 150 mm cranks (took out 137mm), it helped, at least I feel tiny bit better control, I guess. Still cannot keep my weight on seat hence the wheels turning every revolution, I can do two or three seconds but then start giving my weight on legs. The problem with 36 inch is ; I need to commit and speedup but that feels so scary, so most of the times I was slow and udpied second rev , the times I ride was if i speed-up but really mental block there . another challange is the road’s cracks and bumps mentally makes me focused on them and UDP (=Un Planned Dismount) . When I ride My core muscles gave up after 8/9th revolution. -Edison NJ
20 inch Nimbus Trail, 137 mm crank

https://www.youtube.com/user/unisiklet/videos
Unisiklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-23, 04:11 AM   #19
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOldKid View Post
I put a mouse pad in my pants and it help remove some of the fear.
I just want to post that online somewhere, completely out of context, and collect comments on it.

That said, the rest of that post was full of good advice. While a mouse pad probably wouldn't make much difference on impact, it could make one feel more confident, and that can count for a lot. In time, you will learn to detect dismounts to the rear and develop the reflex to get a foot (or two) out back of you to catch you, and that will take away a lot more of the scariness of that happening.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2017-10-23 at 04:11 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36inch, beginner, diary, inch, learning, learning journal, newbie, unicycle