Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-12-05, 08:17 AM   #16
Spinningwoman
Finally freemounting unicyclist

If the lack of padding on your butt is inhibiting, you could do what I do and get a pair of roller-derby shorts to wear under your jeans! In retrospect, I think the important thing if you are using a wall/fence is that you find a long enough one that you can build up to letting go for longer and longer stretches as your balance improves. I still can't unicycle on my patio at home - it is short enough that from the start my brain is saying 'hey, whoa, watch out for that wall, watch out for the steps...'. Once you get to the stage where you are flying alongside the wall for 6 pedals or so without touching it, coming away from it won't seem such a big deal. I found it worked well at that stage for me to pedal along the wall until I felt poised, then veer away.
Old 2016-12-07, 04:52 AM   #17
Michelle7728
Unicyclist

That's what I was thinking too last time I practiced. Unfortunately the area I was practicing at is only accessible to me on the weekends...in fact seems like all parking lots around here are in use during the week as well...and I live on a hill....and it's getting darned cold out, and dark before I get home.

However, I'll just persevere and practice when I get the opportunity, even if it's just the odd weekend! It won't happen fast, but as they say "slow and steady wins the race."

Back to your suggestion, I was thinking of going back and forth along it until I'm not really touching it any more, then I'll "leave the nest" and try to fly!
Michelle7728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-01, 06:08 AM   #18
slamdance
Unicyclist

I also just started last year in October and finally "got it" after about 70 hrs of daily hour sessions. Sometimes 2x a day. Whoever said 10-15 hrs?
Of course, there were injuries and frustration. My 24" uni got tossed pretty high in the air.

Hope you are still sticking with it. Don't let weather conditions beat you. Find underground garages, commercial buildings, anything with cover. Practice/practice/practice.

What helped me most was all the research and videos watching other people. Try this try that. Somethings to think about. Feeling of falling forward, stomping/pumping/twisting the unicycle, pinching your thighs to hold seat straight, knock your knees inwards, crouching forwards(yes you can look at the ground), using elbows/shoulder/hip twisting. setting the seat low so your legs can do the balance vs (advance) upper body lean control, pedaling and resisting with opposite foot.

I'm starting to get much better/efficient and those early learning methods are starting to fade, but I hope to help others trying to get over the "seeming futility" to finally do the impossible!! keep on.

Last edited by slamdance; 2017-02-01 at 06:25 AM.
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 04:33 AM   #19
Michelle7728
Unicyclist

Smile Newbie near Seattle

Thanks slamdance!

Wow, that's an impressive amount of stick-to-it-ness!

I have not given up on the idea of learning, but yes cold weather is a show stopper. I figure if I'm too tensed up because of the cold, I won't be able to relax and enjoy the learning process...or be very effective at balancing.

I like the idea of underground parking garages for when it's just raining outside, and I have been on the look out for them...actually I might have just found one. We'll see.

Meantime, I've started back in on my Waterrower, so at least I will have some leg muscles for when the weather warms back up!

Whereabouts do you live, and do you mind my asking your age? Ignore that last bit if you'd like...i'm just curious if you're my age or older. I am so impressed that there is such a range of ages among unicyclists...especially beginning ones!

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your story and words of encouragement. I have not given up...just putting the idea on hold for a little warmer weather. Once I know how to ride, the cold won't be such a factor for me.

Last edited by Michelle7728; 2017-02-07 at 04:35 AM. Reason: typos....even after proofreading twice! ;-)
Michelle7728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-14, 05:48 AM   #20
slamdance
Unicyclist

Starting Uni at 50's

Yes, I guess I'm following in the footsteps of the unigeezer(Terry Peterson). He started at 50. Got hooked and excelled. He lives in the perfect location at the beach 30 miles from me.

I'm in my early 50's and I still run and workout with weights(injuring myself 75% of the time, but continuously shuffling/re-engineering my workouts). I used to go on vacation and windsurf annually, but I've missed a few consecutive years. This led me to finding a good cross training activity. Balance boards and such. Then I eventually thought why not a unicycle.

I like the thought of doing something that is impossible and extremely hard. Something not just anybody can pick up and do. Maybe being a product of the 80's generation of being different/rebellious but "must conform" in the working world is a factor?

Anyways, I sympathize with you on feeling bottled up with no place to ride. Just sitting on the unicycle in a door way gives you some practice. I was trying to learn how to "jump mount" so I tied the wheels of my spare(junk) unicycle with some rope to prevent moving. You can do that also to practice balancing without fear of it slipping out under you and breaking your big screen tv. Keep on
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-15, 07:30 AM   #21
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Good luck to both of you! I agree with slamdance on all of that. I never gave a single thought to unicycles before 50 but it's been great, even during the struggles of the first months when I wanted so much to be able to just get on the thing and ride around the neighborhood until I felt like stopping. Now I can do that, and far beyond the neighborhood if I want, but no other unicycle challenge has been quite the same adventure as initially learning to ride.

I'm pretty convinced that the important learning is done by muscles and nerve fibers, and all the thinking and talking we do about it mostly keeps our brains occupied while our bodies are doing the important business. So keep at it. There's no substitute for time in the saddle.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-06, 05:18 PM   #22
NWUniRider

Riding in Renton

Hi Michelle, I am a 69-year old rider, have been riding for 10 years. I have found a couple of good places to practice and ride in Renton. I still have some problems mounting, think you could help me with that a bit? Let me know and I'll send you my contact info.
NWUniRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning, newbie, seattle