Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2009-03-05, 03:15 AM   #31
cbs
Unicyclist
 
cbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gaithersburg
Age: 49
Posts: 851
How do you ride a 24" and 26" being 5 feet tall? I'm 5'1" and my inseam is 28" but thats the lowest the seat would go. I dont see anyone riding with the leg fully extended...... Just wondering as I might get into muni later.
cbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 03:43 AM   #32
saskatchewanian
ERIC P
 
saskatchewanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: La Ronge, Saskatchewan, Canada
Age: 34
Posts: 6,465
There are a few shorter people who ride 36ers. One very prominent 36" uni rider who is not very tall is Ken Loi (gizmoduck)
saskatchewanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 06:46 AM   #33
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ede, Netherlands
Age: 66
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs View Post
How do you ride a 24" and 26" being 5 feet tall? I'm 5'1" and my inseam is 28" but thats the lowest the seat would go. I dont see anyone riding with the leg fully extended...... Just wondering as I might get into muni later.
That's the lowest the seat would go? What's that's?

Regardless, what is it that limits your seat from getting lower? If it's NOT the seat hitting the seat tube (which is the upper frame tube), cut off some length of your seat post (which is the thinner tube that goes into the seat tube).
You can just cut it with a hack saw, but be sure to file the outer edge of the cut so that it doesn't get stuck.
Also, don't cut more than you need to, you need at least two inches of insertion to have a rigid connection.

If however the seat does hit the frame and it's still highish for you, it looks like you have a so-called longneck frame. Good for freestyle but not for short people.

Last edited by Klaas Bil; 2009-03-05 at 06:51 AM.
Klaas Bil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 02:29 PM   #34
cbs
Unicyclist
 
cbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gaithersburg
Age: 49
Posts: 851
Well for the Nimbus 24", this is what it says for the seatpost,
Minimum Inseam Length Required For:

200 post - 28 inches
300 post - 31 inches
400 post - 35 inches

club is
Minimum Inseam Length Required For:

200 post - 28 inches
300 post - 31 inches
400 post - 35 inches

And KH seems to go 1" longer. I didnt see stats.

So being that my inseam is fully extended 28", that means I can only ride with my leg fully extended. I dont see anyone riding without a touch of knee bend. But does this mean I can still cut the 200 post even shorter? So I can get it a 26" height? I am a newbie so I dont know this info! I might in a year from now get more into muni or use it a lot for transportation. Both would be better with a bigger wheel if its possible.

Last edited by cbs; 2009-03-05 at 02:31 PM.
cbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 03:43 PM   #35
GearQueen
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 11
Hey MBalmer

I'm 50 and female, and started learning last October 08. I'm having a really good time learning, and love the fact that I can go out my back door, and have a good time in the driveway, or down the sidewalk in the neighborhood.
Most of the other sports I do, like windsurfing, snowkiting, mtn biking all take a good bit of traveling, so this has been nice to have something fun to do at home.

It was good to see your post, since I was starting to notice that there was a lack of female, participation on this forum. Which is no different from any of the other forums that I belong to. Not too many females post anything on the windsurfing sites, I'm one of the few who ever does. I guess it just our nature to learn quietly in background.

It sounds like you are learning fast. It took me a couple of weeks to take off away from the fence and ride in a straight line. I'm fairly tall at 5'11" and got a torker 24, since my inseam is 34. I still had to cut the seatpost a bit to be comfy. I have not gotten to try any other size of uni yet, but would like to.

I'm working on the turning. I'm getting better, but the sharp turns on a sidewalk corner, or a sharp U turn usually cause UPD. I keep practicing in my driveway with a couple of big trash cans and ride figure 8's as many times as I can. I also really want to learn to idle. I'm improving, but it's comeing slow.

Post what you are working on learning, and what you are doing to learn it. Maybe it will give me a idea, on something to work on. Thanks for posting.
GearQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 04:26 PM   #36
mbalmer
Is it June yet?
 
mbalmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Age: 60
Posts: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearQueen View Post
I'm 50 and female, and started learning last October 08. I'm having a really good time learning, and love the fact that I can go out my back door, and have a good time in the driveway, or down the sidewalk in the neighborhood.
Most of the other sports I do, like windsurfing, snowkiting, mtn biking all take a good bit of traveling, so this has been nice to have something fun to do at home.

It was good to see your post, since I was starting to notice that there was a lack of female, participation on this forum. Which is no different from any of the other forums that I belong to. Not too many females post anything on the windsurfing sites, I'm one of the few who ever does. I guess it just our nature to learn quietly in background.

It sounds like you are learning fast. It took me a couple of weeks to take off away from the fence and ride in a straight line. I'm fairly tall at 5'11" and got a torker 24, since my inseam is 34. I still had to cut the seatpost a bit to be comfy. I have not gotten to try any other size of uni yet, but would like to.

I'm working on the turning. I'm getting better, but the sharp turns on a sidewalk corner, or a sharp U turn usually cause UPD. I keep practicing in my driveway with a couple of big trash cans and ride figure 8's as many times as I can. I also really want to learn to idle. I'm improving, but it's comeing slow.

Post what you are working on learning, and what you are doing to learn it. Maybe it will give me a idea, on something to work on. Thanks for posting.
Hi,

Right now I'm just waiting to get the unicycle. Patience is supposed to be a virtue. I rode my daughter's friends but don't have my own yet. I would like to be able to comfortably get around, frontward and backwards, and also do dirt trails. I think all the jumping looks fun, but looks potentially painful. I think the snowkiting looks awesome. Is that on skis or a snowboard? I used to have a mountain board but it's illegal in the entire Bay Area so I sold it. I also mountain bike, road bike, scooter, snowboard/blade, and ride a motorcycle.

I see that you are in SLC. I was born there. I still have some family in the area. I love Utah. I wish teachers made money there, but they are the worst paid state or I would move there in a heartbeat.
mbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 04:47 PM   #37
aspabb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: canton, ohio
Age: 67
Posts: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to aspabb
Well, I am 56 and a male. I just started and you are never too old. Great that you can go so far. keep it up.
aspabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 04:58 PM   #38
harper
768 - It's in your DNA
 
harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Age: 67
Posts: 9,167
Mmmmmmmmmmm...older women...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
__________________
-Greg Harper

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 05:07 PM   #39
cathwood
Life's a beach
 
cathwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Prestatyn
Age: 54
Posts: 3,687
I'm 5' 2" and I ride 29er and 36" unicycles. I'm soooo good with the hack saw
__________________
Cathy
cathwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 05:59 PM   #40
Harley
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs View Post
Well for the Nimbus 24", this is what it says for the seatpost,
Minimum Inseam Length Required For:

200 post - 28 inches
300 post - 31 inches
400 post - 35 inches

club is
Minimum Inseam Length Required For:

200 post - 28 inches
300 post - 31 inches
400 post - 35 inches

And KH seems to go 1" longer. I didnt see stats.

So being that my inseam is fully extended 28", that means I can only ride with my leg fully extended. I dont see anyone riding without a touch of knee bend. But does this mean I can still cut the 200 post even shorter? So I can get it a 26" height? I am a newbie so I dont know this info! I might in a year from now get more into muni or use it a lot for transportation. Both would be better with a bigger wheel if its possible.
You can certainly cut any post shorter. As someone mentioned earlier,keep it as long as possible but you could go to a post length as short as 2". As A 200 mm post is aprox 8" long this means that you could take as much as 6" or 150mm off if you needed to.

This will open up quite a few options for you related to larger wheel sizes.
__________________
Always remember: With patience and perseverance you can piss a hole through a rock.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 06:01 PM   #41
Harley
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspabb View Post
Well, I am 56 and a male. I just started and you are never too old. Great that you can go so far. keep it up.
Welcome to the forums
__________________
Always remember: With patience and perseverance you can piss a hole through a rock.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 06:14 PM   #42
critter
Year of the Tiger
 
critter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Oahu Hawaii
Age: 61
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
You can certainly cut any post shorter. As someone mentioned earlier,keep it as long as possible but you could go to a post length as short as 2". As A 200 mm post is aprox 8" long this means that you could take as much as 6" or 150mm off if you needed to.
Three inches in the tube is better than two. As long as you can bottom out the seat post.


cut it off.
__________________
MUni! The closest I'll ever get to bull riding!

Last edited by critter; 2009-03-05 at 06:16 PM.
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 06:28 PM   #43
cbs
Unicyclist
 
cbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gaithersburg
Age: 49
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
You can certainly cut any post shorter. As someone mentioned earlier,keep it as long as possible but you could go to a post length as short as 2". As A 200 mm post is aprox 8" long this means that you could take as much as 6" or 150mm off if you needed to.

This will open up quite a few options for you related to larger wheel sizes.
Oh wow, thank you! I did not know this. This is great news, I think lol. So now if I get into muni or want to do distance, I can go up in size. Or maybe not good news as that means more unis later lol.
cbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 08:33 PM   #44
unouni
Unicyclist
 
unouni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ocala florida
Posts: 276
hey ladies, im a lady....i got my blue 20in nimbus yesterday. I wasnt crazy about the peddals so my husband picked me up some less intense ones at the bike shop today. i practiced off and on all day yesterday, I had to work so I squeezed in the practice when I could.

Unicycling is sooo fun..I think we're going to get along great! lol
unouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 11:55 PM   #45
ConiferMuni
Holm-Schooler
 
ConiferMuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Conifer, Colorado
Age: 55
Posts: 56
You're never too old (or too female) to muni! I try and ride few times a week with my friend Judy. She's 50, and I will be 45 on Monday. I always wear plenty of pads and -always- wristguards. I don't usually need them, but every once in a while I take a dive where I'm really glad I have them on. I've never hurt myself significantly, even with some pretty impressive crashes. My whole family is joining me on the trails now (7 and 9 year old daughters and 11 year old son, 49 year olds husband). We're all having a ball learning together.

-- Agnes
ConiferMuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
older, people, women


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People looked much older in past generations? MuniAddict Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself 33 2009-01-09 10:49 PM
People looked much older in past generations? MuniAddict Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself 0 2009-01-04 03:45 AM
Let's here it from the women. cathwood General Unicycling Discussions 71 2008-08-06 01:43 AM
Can older women learn this? PuffAddr General Unicycling Discussions 19 2004-05-25 06:46 PM
Any older trials riders? unibabyguy General Unicycling Discussions 17 2002-10-26 09:48 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2019 Gilby
Page generated in 0.08805 seconds with 11 queries