Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-07-03, 06:35 PM   #706
rich
Unicyclist

Great! I'd probably rather buy the base with no hardware though, especially if that works out cheaper. Always wary of stripped nuts!
Are you UK based by any chance?
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-04, 01:44 PM   #707
Wennn
Unicyclist

It seems to make more sense to offer a complete seatbase, with T-nuts already installed to make it as plug and play as possible. However you will still have to acquire the bolts and front/back bumper yourself.

However, it seems like easycomposites doesn't ship UD to Singapore, so I will have to try to source for some UD locally ):
Wennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-07, 05:50 AM   #708
Wennn
Unicyclist

CAD drawing for my carbon frame.
Attached Images

Old 2017-07-11, 07:08 PM   #709
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wennn View Post
CAD drawing for my carbon frame.
Looks nice! Now to the really tricky stuff:
A) how are your bearing holders bonded to the frame?
B) how are you going to manufacture this?
I'm curious of your ideas.

Sorry for my English...if it is wrong
finnspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 06:25 AM   #710
Wennn
Unicyclist

Mmh, okay, this isn't really an answer, but I'm playing around with a few ideas I have, perhaps I will start a thread for my lightweight muni build once the frame starts taking shape.

I won't build it for a 4.8 tyre anymore, going for a 100mm wide/390mm tall inner surface of the frame, hopefully I can get it under 4.5kg with a Duro Crux 3.25" tyre.

*I am not really a good rider, and I understand practice helps way more than gram counting, but I enjoy thinking about equipment!
Old 2017-07-13, 11:17 PM   #711
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Blue 29er GUni build

Building a GUni from scratch - it's going to be blue frame, blue rim and black spokes so should hopefully look epic!

I was originally going to try an Oracle 29 frame, but decided to go KH purely because I'm too lazy to be modding it. Turns out I'm going to have to mod the frame anyway because the hub is a slightly older version *doh*

137/117mm cranks to go on it - I reckon going to the 117mm will make for a fast road machine with two useful gears (as apparently the curse of G29's is that you basically only ever use the higher gear...) and the 137mm will make for a nice XC machine... I guess I'll find out

I've got a black seatpost and Impact Naomi saddle to sit on, as well as some blue Nukeproof pedals to finnish it. All this and a Halo Twin Rail tyre should make it nippy on the road but copeable for easy XC riding.

Not 100% sure if I'm getting a handlebar yet - I'm going to try without, as it'll eventually be my 'general getting around' machine, so want to keep it fairly compact and small, but at the same time the speedy high gear might need it - again, I guess I'll find out!

“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-13, 11:36 PM   #712
Alucard
Unicyclist

Excellent colour choice Eddie
We look forward to pics of your finished unicycle.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-13, 11:43 PM   #713
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Ahh Alucard, sorry I missed your reply to me on FB (Yes I checked because I saw your username)

My original colour choice was to essentially build a miniature-sized Oracle 36er (that crazy bright green) - my plan was to beg UDC to roll me out a 29er rim from the green colour, and stick me some green stickers on the nimbus frame instead of blue, but ahh well, I'm happy with blue as long as there's a lot of it

Probably won't be finnished 'til the weekend as I have to wait for my brother to come round with his torque wrench (and for my dad to show me how to build this wheel...) but I'm getting all the ducks in a row now to make sure I can spend as little time as possible putting it all together now and spend the weekend learning to ride it
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Last edited by Piece Maker; 2017-07-13 at 11:44 PM.
Old 2017-07-15, 12:09 PM   #714
davejh
Unicyclist

Building up the 32.
Attached Images

davejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 04:49 PM   #715
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

And the 29er GUni is complete! Well, it's together anyway. I've not actually torqued the cranks up at all as I'm waiting on my brother to lend me the torque wrench, literally just put them on for the photo shoot

I went with a Nimbus Stadium saddle - figured I'd try something new, but didn't want to go full-on flat with a KH saddle. I really like the Naomi saddle so hopefully the Stadium is somewhat similar

Spoked the wheel up, not yet 'true' but getting ready to be!

Completed GUni -

Last edited by Piece Maker; 2017-07-15 at 04:50 PM.
Old 2017-07-15, 06:51 PM   #716
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Nice blue guni.
You will probably finish by buying a torque wrench and all the other tools needed and I think you'll feel the need for a handlebar since it becomes a virtually bigger wheel than your 36er when you shift up.
You can do without but you use to ride your 36er with a handlebar, so you'll probably try your qu-handle on this one, i'm pretty sure about this
- KH 26 + Knard 26x3 + HS11
- Qu-ax trial 19"

Last edited by UniDreamerFR; 2017-07-15 at 06:52 PM.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 11:31 PM   #717
UPD
fail better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDreamerFR View Post
You can do without but you use to ride your 36er with a handlebar, so you'll probably try your qu-handle on this one, i'm pretty sure about this
Yeah, a lot more grabbing on to the saddle or bar handle with all that toque you'll be needing. Interesting that I first practiced the 36er without grabbing on , but with my arms in the air for control. The exact opposite is true with the Schlumpf. My practice now is to ride relaxed hands free on the g36. Handles are good, but not good for UPDs. Others can learn fine without UPDs, but not me, I seriously can say and admit I need them in order to get better..😁
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 11:38 PM   #718
UPD
fail better.

Does the Stadium feel like the Naomi that Im used to?. Nope, not to me. For me, I wished I spent more time "breaking" into to that saddle. I gave it away (quite a butt headed move)....oh well!😁
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 11:56 PM   #719
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I've actually got all the other tools, just not the wrench my brother doesn't live far away so it's no bother to borrow his I'll definitely look at getting my own if it becomes a necessary maintenance tool often though.

I don't really use my q-handle loads but it is at least nice to have somewhere to put my headlight and Garmin, so purely on that basis I might invest in a handle (maybe a KH just to mix it up a bit) in future

As for the saddle... if it doesn't feel like the Naomi, then fine, as long as it's hard, thin and fairly flat chances are I'll be happy I suppose time will tell!
Old 2017-07-18, 04:24 PM   #720
newob
Unicyclist

Very nice work, Piece Maker.
newob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, post, projects