Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-11-03, 04:18 PM   #16
uniscott
Unicyclist

I agree with the strengthening / stretching, seat hieght and frank comments. Taking two ibuprofen BEFORE I ride has done wonders for me. If they start hurting in less than 30 minutes or do, there is probably an issue you need to fix with set up or technique.
uniscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-06, 04:43 AM   #17
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Peterson View Post
I love unicycling, but going down hill is ruining knees. I don't know what to because I'm addicted.
If you guys could give me any tips to 'save' my knees that would be great.

Unicycle or Die!!
I prefer "Unicycle then Die".
But tell us a little more about your knees and your unicycling. Are you riding a 20" on mountain bike trails, or pavement? How long have you been riding? How old are you? How's your seat height (a picture or video would be useful there)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
You don't need a brake on a 20".
Normally I would agree but maybe not for Ethan, it depends on his particulars. He might just be riding with his seat too low or something. That said, a brake is super-useful for preserving your knees on downhill riding. Also working your "supporting" or "opposite" muscles can make a big difference; unicycling only works your legs in that circular range of motion, while ignoring a lot of the muscles we use for moving side to side, pivoting, etc.

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-06, 04:58 PM   #18
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

What should I do?, what should I do?

YOU SHOULD ACT LIKE A MAN!

Sorry I couldn't resist, I've just watched The Godfather (Johnny Fontane scene).
Old 2017-11-07, 02:22 AM   #19
Ethan Peterson
Mountain Unicycling Utah

Well, I have been riding on some mountain bike trails and some pretty steep terrain. In the beginning it hadn't given me to much problems but my knees are just starting to hurt. I'm 13 and have been riding for about 2 1/2 years. I think a video would be a better representation of my unicycling, so..........
My YouTube channel is called Ethan.Pete. I have videos of me unicycling that you could go and check out!
Thanks!
Ethan Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-07, 02:55 AM   #20
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Just watched you Flag Rock video. Good stuff.

The 20 looks fairly proportional for you and it seems well suited to the trails for you. I don't think I would be in too much of a hurry to go up a wheel size. If I were to switch out equipment for the sake of your knees I would consider going one size shorter on the cranks and adding a brake to drag on the downhills. The shorter cranks will help you stay smooth and reduce jerky movements and the brake will also do the same by removing some stress from your legs.

The brake doesn't have to be anything fancy. I would consider a side pull caliper brake from a BMX. They don't all have the same amount of clearance but I think you should be able to find something to clear a 2.5" tire.

If you do get a caliper brake mount it "backwards" to the rear of the frame to keep it away from the back of your knees.

For the leg straitening exercises I mentioned earlier I did a lot of them while sitting in class. Training the body and mind at the same time .
Old 2017-11-07, 03:02 AM   #21
Ethan Peterson
Mountain Unicycling Utah

Yes, thank you, I have been doing the leg straightening things and they seem to be working!
Old 2017-11-07, 05:31 AM   #22
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Peterson View Post
Yes, thank you, I have been doing the leg straightening things and they seem to be working!
That's great! And now I think I understand your knee problem: Flag Rock! Looks like a load of downhill with steep parts. That amount of downhill is just tough on the knees. So a brake would definitely help, but those "balancing" exercises are valuable no matter what.

Watching your video reminded me of me, a long time ago, except I didn't really learn to ride until I was 17, and didn't start riding trails until 18. And my local hills were tiny! No mountains. I didn't have local access to that kind of downhill until I was what, 34! Wow.

There are a bunch of unicyclists around the SLC area. We had the National Unicycle Championships there in 2004 (a little before your time I guess) and got to ride some really fun and beautiful trails, including the first officially permitted unicycling at the Snowbird resort! Lots of great places to ride around there, and only a few hours away from Moab!

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-07, 02:07 PM   #23
Ethan Peterson
Mountain Unicycling Utah

Yes! Thank you! I will try to set up a brake on my uni. But, I actually just went to Moab and rode slickrock! I was just going to make a video about it!
Thank you for all the help!
Old 2017-11-07, 03:27 PM   #24
TX seeker
Unicyclist

knee strain

I just learned in June and for the first 2 to 3 months experienced the same thing with knees aching and I feared that I would not be able to keep doing this, which I was surprised at because i was a competing cyclist for over a decade and my knees never were a problem and actually got stronger.

Riding down steeps will still cause some knee strain for me, but what finally fixed it was what others have previously said on this thread. I raised my seat [while learning I had purposely put my seat too low] and I finally got to where I was able to just sit, balance and pedal without putting so much weight on my feet all the time. I consciously knew I was doing that and wanted to relax, but I just couldn't help it.

So, just keep practicing and learning to relax and ride comfortably. It just takes time and it'll pass, but do be careful about overdoing it when learning. Give yourself plenty of recovery time between.

Good luck and keep it up!
TX seeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knees, ruining, unicycling