Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-10-29, 01:04 PM   #16
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
A low seat kind of sucks for miles of uphill, and though I often don't change it, it's worth doing.
Last time I rode in a similar configuration (flat and up, then down, then flat again), I thought about the dual quick release seat clamps as a good idea. I know it's easy to fetch the Allen wrench, but out of laziness, I never really do it.
They're a bit heavier though, anyone using one here?
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-29, 01:17 PM   #17
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
I find I gotta break all the rules when off-roading. You know the standard rule: tall seat/short cranks, back straight, look forward for maximum machine like efficiency rule.

When fighting for balance on gopher hole pocked grass, steep ups and riding in rock quarry I can't do that. I gotta drop the seat and put more weight on pedals. Also, go long cranks and sit light on the seat and lean forward, a lot.
That's not breaking the rules, that's following the age old, succesfull recipe for rough terrain. George Peck did that, Kris Holm did that, it's the standard practice since forever.
Old 2017-10-29, 03:09 PM   #18
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Last time I rode in a similar configuration (flat and up, then down, then flat again), I thought about the dual quick release seat clamps as a good idea. I know it's easy to fetch the Allen wrench, but out of laziness, I never really do it.
I have one on my 36 but seldom need to adjust the seat height.

I have a Hope Tech single lever clamp on my 24 and change the seat height now and again, but not often.

All of my unis have quick release seat clamps of one kind or another. I can see no reason not to.
Mikefule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-30, 10:20 AM   #19
Moslki
Unicyclist

Quote:
My Oracle 36 came with the double quick release clamp and it didn't last long. I found that if you didn't tighten it enough the seat would twist if doing a quick jerk movement when riding. On the other hand I found that if you tighten it too much the clamp gets too stiff. In other words: in my opinion it was more hassle that it was worth so when it broke I bought a KH seat clamp instead (allen wrench type). I couldn't be happier: it keeps the seat post properly clamped in place and it is very quick to change the height of the seat if needed (the allen wrench is only a tiny tool to carry with you after all).
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-30, 11:25 AM   #20
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
I also have those seat clamps on some of my unis, but since I always ride with a small backpack, then I might as well have all needed Allen keys in there. Mostly I keep the saddle height the same, but occasionally I change to see if it makes a difference.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
height, road, seat