Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-09-04, 06:05 PM   #16
ScaredOldKid
Unicyclist

Cost of having two wheels

For a brief moment I though "Hey just by the 27.5 because the frame will take smaller wheels and have a 26 or 24 wheel made for it as well as the 27.5 that comes with it. This plan quickly went away when I added up the cost on another wheel, hub, spokes, tire, tube etc.
Old 2017-09-04, 09:38 PM   #17
lobbybopster
Unicyclist

The Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOldKid View Post
For a brief moment I though "Hey just by the 27.5 because the frame will take smaller wheels and have a 26 or 24 wheel made for it as well as the 27.5 that comes with it. This plan quickly went away when I added up the cost on another wheel, hub, spokes, tire, tube etc.
Yes, alot less expensive than that larger number of frames and seats! If they all used ISIS disc hubs, you would not need to adjust your equiptment, just swap and go. Road to Muni, and back the same day.
lobbybopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-04, 11:07 PM   #18
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunk View Post
I've been reading that you're a beginner..
I suggest, before getting a muni, you're better to get solid freemounts.
When i switched from 19 to 24, i almost could not enjoy the thing.
I wasn't able to freemount yet, so i had to go back to the basics.
If you can wait and delay your uni-shoppings, try to concentrate on freemounts, idling, hopping up small things and riding backwards.
Then get a 27,5 or even a 29!
You're right, but I'm tempted to tell the OP to ignore you I got my 26" muni when I'd been riding for 2 months and I was ready for it at that point and got going on it fairly quickly. So maybe not quite immediately for the OP, but he shouldn't have to wait all that long. Though I was also static mounting consistently by that point (I learned to freemount within days of learning to ride using the method in http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78310) and got that working on the 26 fairly quickly - it's not much fun doing muni if you can't.

As for other skills, I couldn't idle or ride backwards when I got mine (only learned to ride backwards 5 years later!) and whilst I could hop I did quite a lot of muni riding before using that on a ride. No need for the OP to have any of those skills to enjoy unicycling off road.
Old 2017-10-31, 12:19 PM   #19
ScaredOldKid
Unicyclist

Update

I bought the Oracale 27.5". It is fun to ride and the tire is easier for me to ride on the street then the 26" knobby tire a friend has on his 26". So far very happy.
Old 2017-10-31, 01:45 PM   #20
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
I bought the Oracale 27.5". It is fun to ride and the tire is easier for me to ride on the street then the 26" knobby tire a friend has on his 26". So far very happy.
and you feel more wobbly on the 27.5 compared to the knobby 26, because of reduced friction?
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-31, 01:52 PM   #21
ScaredOldKid
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
and you feel more wobbly on the 27.5 compared to the knobby 26, because of reduced friction?
Actually less wobby on the 27.5 when it comes to pavement riding. As far as off road / grass not sure. I was able to ride longer on grass with the 26 that had 165 cranks. Smaller wheel longer cranks more power my guess.
Old 2017-10-31, 03:18 PM   #22
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Actually less wobby on the 27.5 when it comes to pavement riding. As far as off road / grass not sure. I was able to ride longer on grass with the 26 that had 165 cranks. Smaller wheel longer cranks more power my guess.
I would expect more wobbly on tarmac with a road tire, as it has less friction. As long as you ride faster, you will eventually get more friction of course.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-31, 07:35 PM   #23
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

The tire can make a big difference in riding characteristics. If you have two very different tires, it's no good to compare those two unis in terms of wheel size, since you can't tell what's the size and what's the tire. Suffice it to say that there's not much of a percent difference in wheel size, so they will be pretty similar, all other things being equal.

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-02, 03:56 PM   #24
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Would be interested in your reviews of the Kenda Havok.

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-02, 08:56 PM   #25
ScaredOldKid
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
Would be interested in your reviews of the Kenda Havok.
Terry if you are asking me please keep in mind I'm new to the sport about 3 months. I like the tire way more then the knobby tire that on my friends 26". His tire, on pavement, felt like I was walking in football cleats. This Kenda Havok feels more like walking in sneakers. As a total newbee I was able to make sharp turns and in general have a nice smooth feel to the ride on pavement. They say the tire weights a pound less the the 26 and I believe it. Cheers

Last edited by ScaredOldKid; 2017-11-02 at 08:57 PM.
ScaredOldKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-02, 10:39 PM   #26
kahunacohen
Unicyclist

27.5. Don't get a 24.
kahunacohen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26 275, buying, crank length, nimbus oracle 24, oracle, oracle 24