Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2018-01-14, 03:24 PM   #1021
Setonix
Unicyclist

the location where I normally ride is in the middle of a big forest with hardened cyclepaths along a dirtroad. One of the side roads is a mountainbike trail, which I tried once more than a year ago and it was simply too difficult. I couldn't mount on such narrow trails, so I left it as is. Today I decided to try it again, as I've seen many of those cool municycle vidz on youtube. This part of the trail wasn't very long but with tree roots protruding everywhere and the trail is at a slight incline, so perfect for downhill municycling. This time it went so much better. Sure I UPD'd a few times but that is part of it. I managed to mount without much problems.
What I did learn about the ride was that I have a long way to go to learn to use the brake. I just roll down trying to keep my balance as long as possible swirving everywhere around pits and bumps and roots, but at some point Im not in control anymore. Also a tire at 30psi is probably too high a pressure for muni as with some drops of 15cm down some roots, I started bouncing, which quickly results in a UPD.
The last few weeks I've been riding some of my other uni's, (19", 26", 32"), but today I decided to take my fave 29" Nimbus and it just felt like being home with it again.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-17, 06:56 PM   #1022
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Lousy weather, howling icy gale, and all the local fields and tracks are ankle deep in mud.

I took the 24" ultimate wheel down to our local recreation ground and practised for a bit on the unused basketball court. I got bored with that so I went over to the pavilion. This has a path round it that is around a metre/yard wide and the total perimeter is around 150 metres/yards with 6 "outside" corners and 2 "inside" corners.

I managed to ride the UW all around the building in each direction without a UPD.

I'm usually good for 1-300 metres in a straightish line, and I've ridden some big circles and figure eights before, and some "slightly uneven" ground, but this was my first time riding anything quite so precise. Not bad to be learning cool new stuff at 55.
Mikefule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-17, 10:15 PM   #1023
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I'm usually good for 1-300 metres in a straightish line, and I've ridden some big circles and figure eights before, and some "slightly uneven" ground, but this was my first time riding anything quite so precise. Not bad to be learning cool new stuff at 55.
That sounds really good. Three weeks ago at the unicycle club, someone had brought an ultimate wheel, which I naturally wanted to try out, but I was clearly hopeless without a frame and seat to help keep the wheel upright. It was a lot harder than it looked on youtube ^_^. I can't ride SIF either, so I shouldn't have expected too much.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brag, landed, thread, today, tricks, version 2