Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-06-06, 07:22 PM   #46
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
You could get the seat post itself easily at a shop that sells BMX parts.
Ah yes, thanks Eric. But, my mistake, I meant the seat-frame or base portion.

Is the diameter of the T-bar the same at that for the KH handle?

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers

Last edited by steveyo; 2010-06-06 at 07:24 PM.
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 08:21 PM   #47
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeratunicycledotcom View Post
It is interesting that this is coming loose. I can not give you an instant answer as to why it is coming loose. I have been testing the handle for over 6 months and only had to tighten once. That was after a couple of days of riding and I had just not tightened it enough.
I agree that locktite should deal with it. This is what it is designed to do. I am as I say puzzled why it is needed though.
As I find out more I will come back to everyone.

Roger
it's probably not problem on the German model : P
Old 2010-06-06, 10:00 PM   #48
muniing sam
Unicyclist

UDC NZ sells the seperate parts: http://www.unicycle.co.nz/shop/unicy...s/saddle-parts
Old 2010-06-07, 10:41 AM   #49
rogeratunicycledotcom
Mostly OKish Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo View Post
While we have your attention, Roger...

I would love to be able to buy the individual pieces of the Shadow handle, like one more straight T-bar, or just the seat-post portion, etc. Any plans to sell the bits separately?
They are available through the UK, but not on the site yet. It will be 8 days before we get them up, but if you want them just call.

Roger
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.co.uk
+++++++++++++++++++
rogeratunicycledotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 11:48 AM   #50
DavidHood
Raising my own riding partners

Suggestion for Impulse with Shadow

One more piece that I would have liked to see come in the Impulse with Shadow kit is a straight (i.e. no T) short (5" should do so 4 inches stuck in leaves 1 inch sticking out) so that we would have an option to mount the brake lever directly under the seat without using the Shadow handlebar. Might seem silly to you pros but the Impulse was my first 36er and I fully intended on "practicing" a bit before I installed the Shadow but, during initial assembly, I found the circumference of the seat base too large for the brake lever and not wanting to tinker with removing the brake cable (I'm a bit mechanically challanged) I was left with no choice but to install the Shadow on day one. Of course, it turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to me because I learned to ride it with my left hand glued to the handlebar the way it should be. But two weeks later and intensely focused on learning to free (Static, Jump, Roll) mount this beast it would be nice to remove the handle for a couple days so that I can cheat by reaching over with my right hand and holding the wheel still to mount. Just a thought.
DavidHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 04:30 PM   #51
uniShark
muni commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHood View Post
One more piece that I would have liked to see come in the Impulse with Shadow kit is a straight (i.e. no T) short (5" should do so 4 inches stuck in leaves 1 inch sticking out) so that we would have an option to mount the brake lever directly under the seat without using the Shadow handlebar. Might seem silly to you pros but the Impulse was my first 36er and I fully intended on "practicing" a bit before I installed the Shadow but, during initial assembly, I found the circumference of the seat base too large for the brake lever and not wanting to tinker with removing the brake cable (I'm a bit mechanically challanged) I was left with no choice but to install the Shadow on day one. Of course, it turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to me because I learned to ride it with my left hand glued to the handlebar the way it should be. But two weeks later and intensely focused on learning to free (Static, Jump, Roll) mount this beast it would be nice to remove the handle for a couple days so that I can cheat by reaching over with my right hand and holding the wheel still to mount. Just a thought.
Wow, that's quite a bold investment for not having ridden a 36er before!
Anyhow, here's a thought: Just remove the entire brake caliper and the shadow handle. Should just be a couple screws holding on the caliper, no need to mess with the cable, and ought to be easy to re-install (with one replacement zip/cable-tie). I can't imagine you'll have any need for the brake while you're focusing on practicing free mounts.

pLs forgve anu typist imak win positing forum my fone.

Last edited by uniShark; 2010-06-08 at 04:35 PM. Reason: note the cable tie
uniShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 04:41 PM   #52
scotthue
10k & Marathon World Champ

Send a message via Skype™ to scotthue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHood View Post
If I understand what you're saying, you could just go to any bike shop and get a 22.2mm seatpost for $5 and then cut a bit off and file it down for the brake lever.
scotthue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 04:45 PM   #53
redwelly
Sam Wakeling

Send a message via Skype™ to redwelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthue View Post
If I understand what you're saying, you could just go to any bike shop and get a 22.2mm seatpost for $5 and then cut a bit off and file it down for the brake lever.
Do bike shops have 22.2 posts? I thought that was a unicycle oddity. 22.2 is a standard handlebar diameter (at the hand ends, not the middle) and is also the size of most non-ergo bar-ends. It shouldn't be hard to find some 22.2mm tube around somewhere with bike odds and ends.

Sam
redwelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 10:05 PM   #54
scotthue
10k & Marathon World Champ

Send a message via Skype™ to scotthue
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwelly View Post
Do bike shops have 22.2 posts? I thought that was a unicycle oddity. 22.2 is a standard handlebar diameter (at the hand ends, not the middle) and is also the size of most non-ergo bar-ends. It shouldn't be hard to find some 22.2mm tube around somewhere with bike odds and ends.

Sam
My LBS does, but it has loads of old parts in their basement.
scotthue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-16, 12:35 PM   #55
steveyo

After riding my Shadow Handle-equipped KH29 Guni on a good, long ride, complete with a couple sprawling UPDs, I can give it some more review. I have it set up with the straight bar, uncut. It could still be longer, but I've got mine stuck into the seat base all the way, and I believe there are a few inches of play to lengthen it even more.

The riding position is certainly not like a flat-back cyclist in full aero-bar position, but more like a comfy hybrid-bike riding position. On the road or easier XC (like the race) I spend most of my time riding with both hands on the bars. I don't like that forward position for climbing, but grabbing the straight bar closer to the seat, or even just the seat handle, easily solves that problem.

I like where the brake is placed (see pic below); it's easy to reach and use.

UPDs: a couple times, on the bumpier, rockier bits of the dirt road in this race, I mismanaged the brake-lever - squeezed too much, too little, too much, then flying UPD!

Those times I couldn't catch the uni, it whammed done right onto the bar-ends. Besides scooping up a little sand, the only negative result was that in the hardest crash, the straight bar twisted about 10 or 15 degrees in its clamp. I was quickly able to twist it back straight and get back underway immediately.

I give this bar top marks for versatility and durability.
Attached Images

Old 2010-06-16, 03:20 PM   #56
uniShark
muni commuter

Thanks for the update. Looks like a nice set-up!
And congrats again on the race.

pLs forgve anu typist imak win positing forum my fone.
uniShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 11:48 AM   #57
steveyo

Broken

Last night, I was riding up a steep hill, and torquing up on the handle when something gave, and suddenly it felt I was pulling the seat up under me. The Shadow handle makes the seat beautifully stiff, and suddenly all that stiffness was gone. I thought I was going to have to call for a ride, but, by carefully sliding the tube back together, and not pulling up on the handle AT ALL, I was able to gingerly ride the thing home.
Attached Images

Old 2010-06-18, 12:19 PM   #58
jogi
vegan rider

funny normaly a welding never break - it always breake aside
www.ridetriton.com
jogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 12:21 PM   #59
steveyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogi View Post
funny normaly a welding never break - it always breake aside
Hmmm. Maybe a defective weld?

Old 2010-06-18, 12:25 PM   #60
jogi
vegan rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo View Post
Hmmm. Maybe a defective weld?
if it would be steal I would be pretty sure about - but I have not so much experiance with aluminium
www.ridetriton.com
jogi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handle, impressions, nimbus, shadow