Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-06-01, 08:48 AM   #31
ezas
Unicyclist

Any one have pictures of the curved bar I keep reading about?
ezas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 12:08 PM   #32
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezas View Post
Any one have pictures of the curved bar I keep reading about?
Look on the page 1 of this thread, or at the UDC website pics.

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 09:38 PM   #33
steveyo

I rcvd my Shadow handle today. I have a KH uni, so I needed a shim to go from the 27.2 down to 25.4 seat post which is included with the handle. Got that, then I needed to cut the seat post, and, skillfully and/or luckily, estimated the new length correctly so as not to cut twice.

I had a bit of trouble getting the KH seat bolts through the holes in the shadow seat frame. They were barely long enough to get the nut back on the bolt threads. In the end I went to the hardware store and got longer bolts, which made it easier. Then, after unsticking the KH foam, there was one bolt which kept pushing up into the foam and spinning instead of tightening. Arg!

Then I did a quick test ride with the full-length straight bar, and the seat set horizontally. Then I raised the seat a centimeter, and did another. Hmm...something is loose. OK, it's the single bolt which attaches the seat frame to the post. This is an opportunity for an improvement, because to tighten this nut, one needs to remove the seat, the repetition of which I was getting sick. I put on a little lock-tite and cranked it down but good.

Now it's all set, though, and I really like the length and rigidity of the bars, and the brake is easy to place in a convenient spot. All the integrated hardware is a vast improvement, making the seat/bar system nice and stiff, and lighter than my previous homemade bars.

I'm psyched to ride it more than just around the block, and I'm wondering about leverage when climbing hills, of which I do a lot. More later.

Old 2010-06-02, 10:44 PM   #34
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
after riding it a bit, I've found that it's easier to climb and descend with a shorter bar, but I like the longer one much better overall.
Old 2010-06-04, 08:09 AM   #35
ezas
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo View Post
Look on the page 1 of this thread, or at the UDC website pics.

Thanks. Pictures on front page of this thread gave me everything I need.
ezas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 02:08 PM   #36
DavidHood
Raising my own riding partners

curved up or down? kind of a personal question! don't ya think?

Quote:
Are you using it curved up or down?
Curved up with the brake lever all the way out on the end just like the picture on the UDC site. The two posts seem to be doing a good job protecting the brake lever when I UPD and I have the double clamp on the seat post just tight enough to prevent movement but not so tight that the handlebar won't bend (it just twists the seat and all) when I UPD.
DavidHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 02:26 PM   #37
DavidHood
Raising my own riding partners

Shadow handlebar pivotal seatpost "high tensile bolt"

Quote:
I had a bit of trouble getting the KH seat bolts through the holes in the shadow seat frame. They were barely long enough to get the nut back on the bolt threads.
Same issue with the stock Nimbus seat on my Impulse. The first time I removed/replaced the seat frame which I have to do WAY too often (more on that later) I thought for sure one of my seat bolt holes was stripped before I figured out that it was the foam pushing it back out.

This is driving me NUTS (pardon the pun) but the pivotal seatpost that allows for 4 x 6 degree adjustments via an integral high tensile bolt" comes loose after even the most gentle UPD and ends my ride because I am afraid that I am going to strip those teeth that allow you to tilt the seat back and forth. I prefer back tilt but put it right in the middle this last time in hopes that will keep that "high tensile bolt" from coming loose yet again. Beginning to wish it was non-adjustable like my old Nimbus 24" MUni which was rock solid. If it is loose, the shadow handlebar moves up and down while riding. Any tips? I am tightening that bolt as tight as I can but it keeps working it's way loose!
DavidHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 03:13 PM   #38
steveyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHood View Post
Same issue with the stock Nimbus seat on my Impulse. The first time I removed/replaced the seat frame which I have to do WAY too often (more on that later) I thought for sure one of my seat bolt holes was stripped before I figured out that it was the foam pushing it back out.

This is driving me NUTS (pardon the pun) but the pivotal seatpost that allows for 4 x 6 degree adjustments via an integral high tensile bolt" comes loose after even the most gentle UPD and ends my ride because I am afraid that I am going to strip those teeth that allow you to tilt the seat back and forth. I prefer back tilt but put it right in the middle this last time in hopes that will keep that "high tensile bolt" from coming loose yet again. Beginning to wish it was non-adjustable like my old Nimbus 24" MUni which was rock solid. If it is loose, the shadow handlebar moves up and down while riding. Any tips? I am tightening that bolt as tight as I can but it keeps working it's way loose!
David: I put a little blue lock-tite on that bolt, but I haven't really hammered it with a hard UPD yet, so not sure how well that works. Hopefully , Roger from UDC UK will chime in here with a recommendation.

Old 2010-06-06, 03:37 AM   #39
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHood View Post
. If it is loose, the shadow handlebar moves up and down while riding. Any tips? I am tightening that bolt as tight as I can but it keeps working it's way loose!
I'm having this issue, about 2 weeks of riding and it's come loose, not one single drop since I got it. . . not terribly loose, but anything bugs me : P ocd + 1/2
Old 2010-06-06, 07:00 AM   #40
Xyphota
Unicyclist

I have had mine for almost 3 weeks now and have had to tighten it twice in the first week. Although it hasn't come loose since the last time I tightened it, and I've also had my 2 worst upds since then so i don't know what's up lol
Xyphota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 01:51 PM   #41
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
My first and last impression on the handle!

Yesterday I went riding Trials in Montreal and Hugo came on his new Nimbus Shadow uni with the Handlebar, so I tried it!

Anyway, I liked it, he had set it up to the longest point possible. I dont know if it's just me but it didn't looked really stiff IMO. Even at the longest point I would've liked it a little longer again. Anyway, that's my really small review, I've only rode it like 10 minutes anyway... I like my handle better though.
Old 2010-06-06, 05:41 PM   #42
rogeratunicycledotcom
Mostly OKish Unicyclist

It is interesting that this is coming loose. I can not give you an instant answer as to why it is coming loose. I have been testing the handle for over 6 months and only had to tighten once. That was after a couple of days of riding and I had just not tightened it enough.
I agree that locktite should deal with it. This is what it is designed to do. I am as I say puzzled why it is needed though.
As I find out more I will come back to everyone.

Roger
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.co.uk
+++++++++++++++++++
rogeratunicycledotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 06:20 PM   #43
steveyo

While we have your attention, Roger...

I would love to be able to buy the individual pieces of the Shadow handle, like one more straight T-bar, or just the seat-post portion, etc. Any plans to sell the bits separately?

Old 2010-06-06, 06:54 PM   #44
Tirving
Post Muni

Quote:

I would love to be able to buy the individual pieces of the Shadow handle, like one more straight T-bar, or just the seat-post portion, etc. Any plans to sell the bits separately?
+1
I would like to know if parts will be available too
Tirving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 07:11 PM   #45
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Quote:

You could get the seat post itself easily at a shop that sells BMX parts.

I would also like to get my hands on some T-bars but they would be for my own handles.

I wonder if anyone has stuck a curved handle from the Shadow in a KH T-bar yet.

Last edited by saskatchewanian; 2010-06-06 at 07:12 PM.
saskatchewanian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handle, impressions, nimbus, shadow