Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-03-23, 05:08 AM   #1
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Should rim tape bulge out?

The rim tape on my new KH29 does not bulge out of the rim when the tire is inflated.
Is this normal?

Every hole is an actual cavity that allows water in. I can't imagine riding through a mud hole that may trap a lot of debris in those holes.

Does the tape need to be re-installed?

Thanks for any help.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 06:18 AM   #2
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

That's normal. You end up with surprisingly little crap building up in your rim with the open holes, even when riding in mud.

Some people put clear tape over the holes to prevent debris from getting in. I would consider doing that if I were building a wheel with a drilled double wall rim, but would not bother if it's already built. That's just me.

Tags
bulge, rim, tape