Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2010-01-17, 09:54 PM   #31
hugo
currently not damaged

Send a message via MSN to hugo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniOrBust View Post
All this Schlumpf talk got me excited to go window shopping.
But I don't see any for sale at unicycle.com.

Where do you buy these, specifically if you live in the USA?
I believe that Florian Schlumpf ships directly to the USA:
http://www.schlumpf.ch/uni_engl.htm

Send him an email to ask for details.
Old 2010-01-17, 11:29 PM   #32
MuniOrBust
show me the muni!

$1421. So frustrating. Too bad it's such a complicated low-volume item.
I bet it'd be fun.
MuniOrBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 12:46 AM   #33
Tirving
Post Muni

I want one and almost sprung for it but for $1400..... I just can't justify it. I have 4 uni's, 2 Muni's, 1 learner and a 36-er and I just started in November....so I haven't been too cost-concerned, but $1400.....I don't want to do it.... but I do...
Tirving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 01:03 AM   #34
mbalmer
Is it June yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirving View Post
I want one and almost sprung for it but for $1400..... I just can't justify it. I have 4 uni's, 2 Muni's, 1 learner and a 36-er and I just started in November....so I haven't been too cost-concerned, but $1400.....I don't want to do it.... but I do...
Ha ha. you're worse than me. I just bought my 8th unicycle but I started way back last March. I'm going to get a schlumph. I'm already old and need to enjoy what's left of my pre-geriatric ability. It will take me three months before I can order it but I'm going to have it for the summer. That's the goal anyway. YOU CAN JUSTIFY IT!
mbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 01:13 AM   #35
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Just piping up for you folks considering it...

I just had a lovely ride, on my KH29 Guni, on quiet rolling cart paths on a nearby closed golf course. That hub is awesome; every time I ride it I like it more.

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 02:23 AM   #36
MuniOrBust
show me the muni!

I've been riding muni since August 2009. I love it and can see myself doing it until I physically can't.

I ride a 24" Onza muni that I got used. It's great, but sometimes I want to go faster. A bigger wheel would help with that, but I think that would impede my progress on more technical trails. A geared hub seems like a good answer. (assuming I bought a KH24)

Sometimes I put off purchases even when I can more or less afford it. Years later when I finally buy it, I find myself wishing I had done so years ago. Buying a Schlumpf two years from now could mean I have two years less to get my money's worth and two years of missed fun. On the other hand, perhaps in two years they'll be significantly cheaper or have some new features.

Why Florian? Why must you torture me so?

Last edited by MuniOrBust; 2010-01-18 at 02:24 AM.
MuniOrBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 04:37 AM   #37
Tucson Uni
Andy

I got a promotion and will therefore be getting a big bonus this year. Thinking about getting a geared hub, but I am not sure what I would put it on. I have a KH24, KH29 and KH36. The idea of a geared 36 is intriguing, but scares me a bit. The speed would be a thrill, but UPDing at 20mph would be bad. My favorite riding is Muni, so maybe a guni 24 or 26. The 26 would require a whole new uni. Anyone have thoughts on 24 vs 26 guni for Muni?
Tucson Uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 04:54 AM   #38
Tirving
Post Muni

If I get one....it's going on my 26" Conundrum..... I think it's most versatile on a 26" Muni....my opinion though.
Tirving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 05:08 AM   #39
naturequack
Igloo ceiling

Buy it! Just buy it. Best unicycle purchase I ever made. I've got mine on my 36". It's hard to go wrong on whatever unicycle you put it on, except for maybe a 20". That would be a little silly. Yeah, falling at 20 mph would be scary, but you don't have to do that. I have to work hard to get going that fast. And then it's only briefly in relatively safe conditions where I'm concentrating really hard. Usually I'm only going about 20 kmh in high gear.
Just go for it. Besides if you guys buy enough of them, then maybe the price will go down and I'll be able to afford a second one.
Geoff

Mustn't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
naturequack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 08:25 AM   #40
hugo
currently not damaged

Gents,

I got my Schlumpf hub last April (2009) and since then I rode about 900 km on that 29" Guni. But right now I am thinking of getting a second hub for my KH36.

I still want to keep my geared KH29 because it is optimal for XC and fast riding. But with a geared KH36 I will (hopefully) be much faster on the road, especially when doing marathons.

I am fully aware that I need much more training because riding a 36" in high gear can be very exhausting (and it is already on the 29").

Unfortunately I still need to wait for a few months because these hubs are so expensive.
Old 2010-01-18, 02:54 PM   #41
MuniSano
Hartman Rocks, Uncompahgre beyond..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Uni View Post
Anyone have thoughts on 24 vs 26 guni for Muni?
I've been using my 24" guni for a while now and really love it. For me the 24" is the perfect set up as it is really easy to travel with (I've got a hardshell suitcase that the entire unicycle fits in with only removing the seat post and pedals). And for what trails I ride, I can't imagine running in high gear with a larger wheel; perfect for the gravel roads.

That being said, I understand that 24" tires will be much more hard to come by in the future (possibly?). So, recently, I refurbished my first MUni, a 26er, and can now say that I'd be just as comfortable riding a 26er on stuff I'm riding the 24. Like you I don't want to invest in a building up a whole new 26er (my current 26" frame isn't compatible with the Schlumpf Hub). So for now, and until I use up my 24" tires, I'll keep using my Schlumpf'd KH24.

However I'm continuing to experiment with the 26er with different tire selections to see if I can get by with a non-3" wide tire. If I can be comfortable riding a narrower tire, then truly there won't be a whole lot of difference between the effective diameter of the a 24x3 and a non-3" wide 26" tire (as observed by Kris Holm and many others).

Regardless, I'd say get the Schlumpf Hub and try it out is a unicycle you already have and go from there...

They are sooo much fun! Worth every penny IMHO.
Old 2010-01-18, 02:55 PM   #42
mbalmer
Is it June yet?

Those of you that already have one or more geared hubs, how did you get it installed to your unicycle? I know nothing about wheel building. Did you do it yourself or take it someplace? What if I were to buy a new KH 26 from UDC? Would they put it all together for me if I sent them the hub?
mbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 03:47 PM   #43
MuniSano
Hartman Rocks, Uncompahgre beyond..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmer View Post
Those of you that already have one or more geared hubs, how did you get it installed to your unicycle? I know nothing about wheel building. Did you do it yourself or take it someplace? What if I were to buy a new KH 26 from UDC? Would they put it all together for me if I sent them the hub?
I've never built a wheel from scratch, though I know enough to be able to true a wobbly wheel. Still, I've got my favorite wheel builder at my LBS who does great work so I gave him my hub and wheelset and he put the wheel together for me for a reasonable price.

If do use your LBS be aware that they may have some issues with mounting your wheel in a truing stand properly as a unicycle wheel is much different than a normal bicycle wheel. Luckily KH makes these now which can be quite useful. My wheel guy at the LBS ended up fabricating something like that...
Old 2010-01-18, 03:50 PM   #44
hugo
currently not damaged

Quote:
I assume that UDC would do that for you. I had my wheel built by municycle.com (the German UDC), and as far as I heard they offer their services internationally (but shipping may be expensive).
Old 2010-01-18, 04:39 PM   #45
corbin
Treehouse Muni Rider

Send a message via AIM to corbin
Quote:
I think UDC will sell the complete uni with the hub built in.

I learned how to wheel build mainly because of the schlumpf hubs. My first build was with Chuck helping me out, but without a tension gauge it yielded a weak build, and I broke a lot of spokes.

Two of my friends, Ken Adelman and Bronson Silva, ultimately showed me how to build a proper wheel. Ken built a few wheels for me (ungeared and geared), and Bronson did one. Each time they built it I watched and learned how to do it. I then bought a tension gauge and started doing it myself. I usually follow the lacing pattern of another wheel as a guide, and use a frame as a truing stand.

corbin
corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discussion, general, hubs, mumpitz, schlumpf