Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-10-05, 05:05 PM   #16
mowcius
2017 UK Road Race Champion

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH24, KH29, KH36/32 (stolen), 20" BC
Has the potential technique for a backflip been discussed somewhere else?

I suspect that a frontflip is the first step, maybe then a sideflip and then more of a varial backflip?

I can't see how you could get anything like enough momentum to do a backflip in the reverse direction to the direction you're riding in (as you do on a bike).
Old 2017-10-05, 08:12 PM   #17
LanceB
This space available

I've seen videos of trials/flatland guys doing flips. It's usually from one elevation to a lower one, so that helps.
Old 2017-10-05, 10:40 PM   #18
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Adrien Delacroix did frontflips down a (pretty big) stack of pallets, and Maxwell Schulze sideflips down a curb. Those are the only two I am aware of actually landing front/sideflips. There have been some attempts into sand from ramps or hillsides by others, but only those two have been succesful I think.

I have been thinking of backflips quite a bit. What I think would be a way is doing them static, down a set of pallets or similar, about one meter should be enough, with almost ground level possible. Jumping on a unicycle is similar(-ish) to jumping on foot, and standing backflips are not that hard on flat ground for someone with gymnastics experience. It's a very "natural" movement, which I think would still work with a unicycle under your feet.

Sorry for my English...if it is wrong
finnspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-06, 01:23 AM   #19
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
Adrien Delacroix did frontflips down a (pretty big) stack of pallets, and Maxwell Schulze sideflips down a curb. Those are the only two I am aware of actually landing front/sideflips. There have been some attempts into sand from ramps or hillsides by others, but only those two have been succesful I think.

I have been thinking of backflips quite a bit. What I think would be a way is doing them static, down a set of pallets or similar, about one meter should be enough, with almost ground level possible. Jumping on a unicycle is similar(-ish) to jumping on foot, and standing backflips are not that hard on flat ground for someone with gymnastics experience. It's a very "natural" movement, which I think would still work with a unicycle under your feet.
The main difficulty I see is that the snap of your knees to your chest is what gets the rotation of a back somersault (from what I understand) it is a little harder to do that with a unicycle between your legs plus its got some weight to it. It would be like doing a back somersault with ankle weights on, probably possible but just another annoyance to add to it.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-06, 02:32 AM   #20
The_SkunkMan
Andrew

Send a message via AIM to The_SkunkMan
I could have sworn a saw a video of a unicycle backflip of of maybe 4ft of pallets years ago, but I can't seem to find it. There are videos are people pulling it off on trampolines to give you an example of what the technique may look like.

I can do standing back tucks and used to be able to get standing front tucks. I'd assume a unicycle backflip off of something picnic table height wouldn't be terrible. I imagine it's orders of magnitude easier than a unicycle front flip off of anything. What I see as the biggest problem is lack of arm movement to hold onto the saddle. You then have to get all the rotational momentum with your upper torso. While tucking makes life easier, it's non essential. I've seen standing back layouts with relative ease.

That being said, it'd be fun to take the uni out to one of those indoor bmx parks or a gymnastics gym. I knew a kid who worked on inline skating tricks at a gymnastics place back in the day, but he was a competitive gymnast and related to the owners which probably helped getting permission and dealing with all the liability.
The_SkunkMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backfilps, backyard, creating, foam, learn, pit