Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-09-25, 11:06 AM   #16
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
What's funny to me about that is when beginners have posted videos of their early hopping efforts, a comment I've seen a few times is, "You're riding a unicycle, not a pogo stick." I.e., you shouldn't be going boing-boing-boing on it.
Surely one does not have to ride a pogo as a series of continuous boings either?

I bought a professional pogo at a garage sale on the weekend ($15). I will report back.

BTW. From many years ago I recall a two stroke petrol powered pogo that would surely be a fascinating device.
Old 2017-09-25, 12:09 PM   #17
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
Also, think about pulling your feet up when you hop. At first I was keeping a lot of weight on the pedals and lifting my legs via the frame and cranks using the grab handle, and my hand got really stiff and sore from that. Legs are heavy!
Thanks for that tip - I've been hopping for years, but never specifically thought about doing that (I must have missed the advice to do that in any tutorials I've watched - maybe it's time to go back and watch some more as I'm still stuck not being able to hop very high).

Though I also just tried hopping on my giraffe for the first time last week - now there I am back to continuous pogo hopping, but then having tried pausing it seems my balance point isn't quite in the right place so I'm continuously falling if I don't hop. It also seems very, very heavy to hop and my arm gets tired quickly!
Old 2017-09-26, 05:16 AM   #18
rocketdan
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
Surely one does not have to ride a pogo as a series of continuous boings either?

I bought a professional pogo at a garage sale on the weekend ($15). I will report back.

BTW. From many years ago I recall a two stroke petrol powered pogo that would surely be a fascinating device.
But I find it using pogo to practice hopping is much easier though.
rocketdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-26, 07:00 AM   #19
DashaM
Unicyclist

Zig zag building

Who know how to build zig zag unicycle and what tyre do I need? I mean uni on this picture.

https://www.google.lv/search?q=zig+z...vcsVWYH5EYh4M:
DashaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-26, 07:03 PM   #20
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
Relaying a reply I'd seen a couple of times, no personal pogo stick experience here...

But my impression is that they're about conservation of energy; converting potential energy due to gravity at the top of the hop and compressing the spring or stretching bands at the bottom into kinetic energy in between. If you keep feeding in more energy than the system loses with each boing, you can hop really high. OTOH, elastic hysteresis is a feature designed into unicycle tires. They aren't meant to rebound much, especially the ones meant for downhill, trials, etc. When you're bombing down a mountain or jumping onto the top of a post, for example, you tend to want to hit and stick, not to bounce off. I'm guessing that the advice against boing-boing-boing-ing is mainly to learn to get as much done as possible with each hop, not to wear yourself out with lots of small ones when the tire sucks out any extra energy you're adding.

Quote:
Cool! Looking forward to learning about insights you gain from that experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Thanks for that tip - I've been hopping for years, but never specifically thought about doing that (I must have missed the advice to do that in any tutorials I've watched
I don't recall that from any tutorials either. I learned it the hard way, thinking that in my dotage I had suddenly developed severe arthritis in my right hand when I couldn't grip anything with it, then remembering what I had been practicing on my unicycle the previous couple of days. The lesson might be less apparent to younger, less frail riders. As a drill, hooking just one finger under the handle while practicing hops seemed to be a good way to make sure I was getting weight off the pedals. One finger can easily lift a unicycle but not too much more.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-27, 08:20 AM   #21
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashaM View Post
Who know how to build zig zag unicycle and what tyre do I need? I mean uni on this picture.

What does this have to do with hopping?
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-27, 10:22 AM   #22
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Pogo sticks are like a trampoline, you enter a cycle of converting energy from height, to movement, to spring compression. (As Onetrackmind pointed out, you don't have to, but that's the most fun/usual way) Kinetically, hopping on a unicycle is more similar to hopping on your feet.

You CAN convert vertical speed in height ( which is why prehops and rollinghops work), but

You CAN'T "build up" height by each hop being higher than the next one.

Quote:
Also, think about pulling your feet up when you hop. At first I was keeping a lot of weight on the pedals and lifting my legs via the frame and cranks using the grab handle, and my hand got really stiff and sore from that. Legs are heavy!
That is an important step to hopping higher. It's also not a tip I would give absolute beginners, because at first, it's more important to keep the feet on your pedals. (which may be why it's not in most tutorials).
I usually explain the importance of tucking like this: Try hopping (without your unicycle) straight up, legs fully extended. If you are extremely good (pro basketball player), that will get you 70cm. Now look at your hip. It's probably 100cm of the ground, it's easy to see why getting your feet up there is more important than straightup jump height.

Sorry for my English...if it is wrong
finnspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-27, 11:00 AM   #23
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

I shouldn't have red this thread just before going to sleep, I dreamed that I was able to jump 20 feet high by just pre-hopping on my feet because I saw a small girl using this technique to do fantastic basket smashes. (the sad part is that for some reason I lost this ability once awake )

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
You CAN convert vertical speed in height ( which is why prehops and rollinghops work), but

don't you mean you can convert horizontal speed in height? (which is why pre-hops are usually starting far from the obstacle)
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-27, 05:58 PM   #24
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDreamerFR View Post

don't you mean you can convert horizontal speed in height? (which is why pre-hops are usually starting far from the obstacle)
Yes, thanks for noticing, that's what I meant horizontal.

Old 2017-09-27, 10:10 PM   #25
song
Unicyclist

Hmm. The need for light feet on the pedals and doing a tuck when making bigger hops was obvious to me, but I didn't really know this thing about converting horizontal speed into height. I'll have to try it.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-28, 05:03 AM   #26
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashaM View Post
Yeah, it's off topic but I followed the link and was struck by all those interesting uni photos from everywhere. There are even a whole bunch on there from my own website! They're not supposed to be public domain...

Anyway, the zig-zag you indicated is in a place that looks like the gym they use at Madfest in Wisconsin. I would contact the Madison Unicycle Club and the Twin Cities Unicycle Club and see if you can track down who built that. The wheel looks like a 20", which is the typical size for giraffes. But it doesn't have to be. A bigger wheel would be better if you ride a lot of parades on bumpy pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
...You CAN'T "build up" height by each hop being higher than the next one.
Maybe you can't but I can. I'm probably breaking an assumed physics rule though, by adding energy on each hop or something...

Lots of good advice in this thread. I don't have much to add, but if nobody mentioned shin/knee protection, this can make your practicing a lot more enjoyable in the long run!

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-28, 08:31 AM   #27
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post

Maybe you can't but I can. I'm probably breaking an assumed physics rule though, by adding energy on each hop or something...
Well, yes you can get a few cm more by continously hopping higher. But it's not like it's a trampoline, where you only achieve full jumping height by continously adding energy into a cycle, which was the point of my post. You shouldn't think of it as a trampoline, because it's a waste of energy. The most hops you seem to need on a uni for a high jump is 3. Small prehop, big prehop, jump, with two of them being horizontal.

Prehops are difficult to figure out, because they make the timing of jumps much more complex. It's something everyone has to figure out themselves.

Old 2017-09-28, 09:06 AM   #28
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Thanks again for the lifting the legs tip - I've tried it a bit and feel like it's helping already. Even hopping on the giraffe seemed easier, and I wasn't really trying to lift my legs there, but the practice had clearly carried over. Needs a lot more work, but then hopping is probably something I need to spend time on - I kind of got to the point I could do it and stopped bothering to try and improve.
Old 2017-10-01, 07:17 PM   #29
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Advice that worked for me while learning was to hop to a stillstand on every hop.

Hop from the one spot and when you land, instead of hopping again with your tire, try one or two dampening hops with just your legs but leave your tire on the ground.
Now I find that I'm never in a rush to hop again and sometimes find myself pushing a stillstand.

I hope that makes sense.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-06, 04:49 PM   #30
Setonix
Unicyclist

The catching the hops with my legs need some practice. I hadn't hopped in a long while, but today I decided to go for a ride with my 32" for a warm up and also bring along the 19" trials to - actually wanted to practice SIF, but ended up practicing riding, stopping, hopping and back to riding. I managed to ride one way, stop and hop a few times to turn 180º back and ride back again. Wasn't too bad. But after my hops, my lower back hurt. Reminded me of when I was jumping on the trampoline and then come down on my knees and back up on my feet again. It prolly meant with the uni, I just hopped like a stiff pole.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hopping, tips