Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-10-11, 11:03 AM   #76
sacherjj
Unicyclist

I was unpacking a storage unit this weekend and brought the uni for a little practice. I was shooting off for 2-3 cranks worth. I'm still having issues with my left knee. I started riding bikes, years ago, to help with knee problems.

I also got out the RANS Rocket I rode across the country in 2002, that has been unridden in 10 years. Rode it 1/4 mile before the ragged old front tire blew out (which looked like it was going to happen, so I kept it slow.) I replaced the front tire and rode that a little on Monday night.

If you want to see a bike setup that gets as strange of looks and comments as a uni, check this out: http://www.joesacher.com/blog/2002/05/19/day-0/

My left knee has been bugging me and I've been working on strengthening it. I think some miles on the bike will help. I had set aside last night for some uni near the rail, but it never stopped raining.

So not a lot of progress this week, so far.

I'll be swapping the rear derailleur, both shifters, chain and cassette tonight (this bike took a beating on my ~3400 mile trek fully loaded across the US). And if the weather holds will spend some time on the 20. I think slow riding will help work out the inflamed knee that I'm getting from the uni. And many of the cyclists out there that pass me will tell you, I'm good at slow riding.

Last edited by sacherjj; 2017-10-11 at 11:09 AM.
sacherjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-11, 06:11 PM   #77
song
Unicyclist

A recumbent bike, huh? Well, tandem unicycles have been made (and ridden), but I've never heard of a recumbent one.

If you ever feel like riding across the US again, it has been done by lots of unicyclists, most of them on a 36" wheel, but not all of them.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-11, 07:40 PM   #78
sacherjj
Unicyclist

I got into recumbents due to not being able to handle long saddle time. However, if I keep my 3 lbs a week weight loss, that might not be as big of a factor. I wish I could take off and do the country again. I don't see 3 spare months in my future for a while.

But 8.5 miles to work could be eventually doable on a uni. I'm shooting for around the block first though.
Old 2017-10-11, 09:07 PM   #79
Uni Klein
Hooked For Life!

8.5 miles to work could be eventually doable on a uni. I'm shooting for around the block first though.[/QUOTE]

I agree. You have to walk before you can run.
Old 2017-10-11, 09:57 PM   #80
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
But 8.5 miles to work could be eventually doable on a uni. I'm shooting for around the block first though.
I have about 4 miles to work, but such a small distance already makes me sweat a lot and without showers in the office, it isn't really doable. Tried it once last year. Mostly drive to the forest after work and either ride on the cyclepaths or dirtroads or both.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-12, 02:39 PM   #81
sacherjj
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
I have about 4 miles to work, but such a small distance already makes me sweat a lot and without showers in the office, it isn't really doable. Tried it once last year. Mostly drive to the forest after work and either ride on the cyclepaths or dirtroads or both.
We have a shower here that I could use. I have a rear flasher on my helmet and will be making a mount for my Wowtac A2S light for the front. But I will be riding the route on a bike much before I uni it.

My aunt is rapidly declining with terminal cancer, so last night I spent time with her. Although I did pump up the tire on my 26" Nimbus (which took forever to fill the Maxxis Hookworm with my road pressure take along pump). I rode it along the hallway a little and it felt really good. The time on the 20" has helped. When I go out again, I'm going to spend some time on both.

Last edited by sacherjj; 2017-10-12 at 02:39 PM.

Tags
big, guy, learning, unicycle