Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-10-10, 03:32 PM   #31
Setonix
Unicyclist

Yesterday was rainy and cold all day, so couldn't do my hopping. Been watching videos instead. Today was finally dry so continued with hopping practice. I haven't sweated as much in a long while. Don't do that with just riding, even though I get tired and sometimes out of breath. But hopping is very tiring. I can only hop with a break in between after first hopping quickly 3 or so times, then I can relax more. But also need to have an aim where to hop. When mistakenly wanting to hop forward, the uni flew out underneath me. It is cool to do something new again with the uni. Next on the list will be jumping sideways, but that was harder than it seemed on youtube.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-07, 08:12 PM   #32
Setonix
Unicyclist

I keep adding on to the hopping thread, as I'm not done with it. This week Im in DK 2 weeks and brought both a trials and 29" muni. I've been practicing hopping on the trials, which has been going ok, also because it is so light. Today I decided to try on the 29er, which was a lot more difficult. Not only is it heavier, but I find it more difficult to slow down enough to ride > hop 2-3 times > continue riding. I always go too fast. But I was persistent and decided not to go home, before having done a few hops on it. The next step will be getting more control on the hopping, so I can actually use it while muni-ing.
I've been riding 2 years and though distance is not a problem, slowing down and balancing is still difficult. Tricks take a lot of time learning too.
Old 2017-11-08, 12:34 AM   #33
Kwikkash
Unicyclist

hopping

Name:  IMG_1670.PNG
Views: 177
Size:  83.7 KB
I have been putting some time in this hopping thing also. Really making some progress. This past few months I have been practicing hopping in place at stop signs and cross walks and hopping to change direction. I have some parking lot drills where I ride up to speed and stop/hop to change direction. Very challenging on my 36. Not there yet on that one. Pretty smooth on the 29 and smaller wheels. I have been working on getting up and down curbs. That has gone well. Today I hopped up and down 3 stairs on the front porch on my 20. This was about the third day I tried get up and down all 3. I really like the concept from Canoeheadted. I wore myself out on the early attempts because I thought I had to get air on every hop. I was trying to keep the bounce going. I only "got it" after I settled down and made a more controlled approach to each step saving my energy for the actual step. This was a major hurdle for me today. It was fun. Jeff C
Kwikkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-08, 11:02 AM   #34
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkash View Post
This past few months I have been practicing hopping in place at stop signs and cross walks and hopping to change direction.
Looks like you are making very good progress, but also since you've been training for a few months, of which I understand you don't only focus on hopping of course, I shouldn't expect to get the hang of it in 2 weeks.

I also tried hopping the 36" a while back, but it is very heavy, especially since I practiced on the 20". I can hardly lift it off the ground, but naturally I need more practice and get the technique right first.
In any case for now I will focus mainly on the muni as that is what I want to use it for anyways. I have no aim to be a trials champ.
Old 2017-11-08, 12:05 PM   #35
Kwikkash
Unicyclist

agree

I never thought Hopping on a unicycle would have a practical use. I first discovered the skill when I was learning to free-mount my 36. Watching YouTube videos, I saw alot of riders hop when they first mount. I did not catch the practical use at first. Now, its really a go to. After mounting I can get stable/upright and pointing in the right direction with just a few hop's. I'm not sure I will ever be able to idle on my 36. The small hop's just seem more practical now. At first, It didn't look good for me at all on the 36. I Went right back to the 20 to figure it out. For me, I can get a handle on everything on a smaller wheel, then bring it up to the big wheel. I plan on Muni also. As I watch all the Muni videos, it seems that hopping is a very important useful skill. Another reason I thought about taking it to the next level. The curbs and stairs seem to be a good place to really get a handle on the skill. I said in the last post I had been working on this skill for a few months,....probably more like 6 maybe longer. I don't exactly push myself. I usually just ride and nibble at a new skill as I go along. My porch was just a pop quiz. Wanted to see if I was really getting a handle on it. (and I saw Terry Peterson hop up a crazy long flight of stairs, that was motivating). It was a real thrill to get up and down my porch steps. I sent a text to everyone I know that is aware of my unicycle hobby to share the success. Its fun to see you have this on your mind and you are staying on it. I understand. I first tried and it seemed like it was not gonna be easy. Then, I started getting it, little by little. Good luck with this skill. Its a good one to have. Jeff C
Old 2017-11-08, 03:15 PM   #36
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
I can get a handle on everything on a smaller wheel, then bring it up to the big wheel.
Yeah, I think of my 20" as the Wheel of Learning.

You might want to try SIF hopping at some point. It's supposed to be good for high jumps. I say "supposed to be" because it hasn't been for me, but I haven't yet worked on it enough to do more than just go up the stairs. As a result of advice on this forum, though, I did learn to SIF hop with one hand on the seat instead of two...
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-08, 09:17 PM   #37
Kwikkash
Unicyclist

Sif

song...I did notice plenty of clips with the rider holding the seat out front and making super high or sideways jumps, It seems like the seat may be set a little lower than normal also for the real extreme stuff. I know several on the forum refer to the SIF as just a useful skill to have in general. I do have that on my list of things to work on. I'm really working on going backwards now also. It seems like that is making life easier with better general directional control. fun stuff. Jeff C
Old 2017-11-09, 05:50 AM   #38
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
refer to the SIF as just a useful skill
Useful is not a word that comes to mind regarding anything unicycle related.

My backward riding ability is better SIF (both hands). I can twist my torso and look in the direction I'm riding (backwards) while SIF, because my hands are keeping the seat from twisting. If I try to look over my shoulder riding SI backwards, I start to pivot. I can ride down curbs backwards, SIF. I'm actually too afraid to try that seat-in. I can also ride downhill, on uneven terrain, backwards, while SIF. If I were seat-in, I'd get knocked of the unicycle on the first big bump, but having both hands on the seat stabilizes things. I can ride a fair distance, backwards, SIF. When I ride more than 100 meters, seat-in backwards, I start getting disoriented. My backwards figure 8's are much better SIF, and I'm better at turning tight circles backwards, SIF. The other day, I did a 10 second still-stand, SIF, on my 20". I was moving the seat around a lot, passing it between my hands. My seat is very high, so anything technical is done with the seat in front. Because my default way of riding is to have both hands on the seat, adjusting myself between various positions (sitting in the cradle of the seat, sitting on the back edge of the seat, placing the seat against my groin, holding the seat out front) is pretty easy. Jump mounts are not scary SIF. Learning SIF makes learning SIB pretty easy. I can jump mount into SIB (I like to do that one on grass). My SIF riding skills are at a significantly higher level that the rest of my skills. I think the people who wrote the skills levels messed up. SIF is not that hard. It just takes practice. A huge amount of control is gained by getting hands on the seat. You should practice it. Baby steps. I remember when I could just barely reach down and touch the seat handle with one hand. SIF turned unicycling into a full-body workout for me.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-09, 06:46 AM   #39
slamdance
Unicyclist

Just learned how to HOP!!

1. Just "focus" on applying equal force with both legs onto the pedal.
2. Go straight up.
3. Balancing is "automatic"
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-09, 08:26 PM   #40
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
. SIF .

So many things to learn and they all take a great amount of time. for me at least. I recently rode 10K on my trials uni, but since then my knee has been hurting. Now it hurts more after a hopping session and then I was wondering if it was best first to focus on ambidextrous mounting and also not just hopping with the dominant foot in the back.
SIF is definitely also something I want to learn eventually. Maybe by the time I;m your age, I can do those things ^_^
Old 2017-11-12, 12:00 AM   #41
Kwikkash
Unicyclist

I get it

elpueblounido...i tried it today. It was a workout. I get the concept. I'm going to put SIF on my list of skills to work on. I really did not realize how limited I was on my jumps/hops till today. As usual, I was staying right over the saddle trying to get up a very tall curb. It was a struggle. With SIF, I can bend my knees and really get some altitude. This is fun, I never saw this one coming. It will take some practice, but this is a great discovery very cool. Jeff C
Old 2017-11-12, 02:25 PM   #42
DaUniGuy
Training hard for retirement!

Quote:
elpueblounido...i tried it today. It was a workout. I get the concept. I'm going to put SIF on my list of skills to work on very cool. Jeff C
Another Acolyte for our SIF Sherpa and Guru elpuebloUNIdo! PM me if you are going to be in town for the holidays or down south in God's Country.
Old 2017-11-12, 06:13 PM   #43
Kwikkash
Unicyclist

I might be missing out

Dauniguy, Elpueblounido... I saw some past post about some uni riding around K.C. I have Friends in KS and MO. I go several times a year. Overland Park, Tonganoxie... Keep me posted if you have a week/weekend in mind for next year. I'm up for tagging along. It would fun. Jeff C
Old 2017-11-13, 03:28 AM   #44
DaUniGuy
Training hard for retirement!

Quote:
Dauniguy, Elpueblounido... I saw some past post about some uni riding around K.C. I have Friends in KS and MO. I go several times a year. Overland Park, Tonganoxie... Keep me posted if you have a week/weekend in mind for next year. I'm up for tagging along. It would fun. Jeff C
Some pretty decent multiuse trails. I am in the northland 20-25 minutes from the places you mentioned. My riding has been limited lately due to some health issues (sucks getting old) but I should be back on track shortly. If you are in town let me know and we will work something out. Here is a link to some of the trails in the area.
https://www.traillink.com/city/kansas-city-mo-trails/

I have a primitive postage stamp size piece of paradise on tablerock lake in the Ozarks and Elpueblounido has kin in the area. We have not yet but hope to get together down there as well. I know some awesome gravel bars as well as some dry creek beds that would be cool natural trials courses. PM me if you would like and we can figure something out

Now to unhijack this thread and go back to the topic of hopping
Quote:
Attachment 70602
I have been working on getting up and down curbs. That has gone well. Today I hopped up and down 3 stairs on the front porch on my 20. This was about the third day I tried get up and down all 3.
Kwikkash I am impressed with your progress! I can hop around all day spin around and have a good old time on flat ground but try to change elevation and I go into a cold sweat! I know it is all in what little mind I have but it is a major mental block for me.
Old 2017-11-13, 02:35 PM   #45
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaUniGuy View Post
and Elpueblounido has kin in the area
We're going to be at the lake the week of Thanksgiving. Let me know if you're visiting the lake, DaUniGuy!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hopping, tips