Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-10-06, 08:38 PM   #16
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
I also like the reliable effortless free mounting. Pop it under and ride away.
Yeah that certainly is true about the 19/20 inch the effortlessly freemounting. Mostly when changing wheel sizes, the first time always fails, just feeling where the middle is and as happened today with the 32" I reckoned even though with wobbly take off, there is no need to step off and try again. It is easy enough to catch yourself and continue on.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 09:42 AM   #17
Danny Colyer
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
20" unis are great for tricks and trials ... and terrible for anything else.
I disagree. 20" is the size to use for hockey. Which is, of course, the main reason for riding a unicycle.
Old 2017-10-07, 03:06 PM   #18
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Colyer View Post
I disagree. 20" is the size to use for hockey. Which is, of course, the main reason for riding a unicycle.
You are correct, forgot about that I'm pretty sure it's the best for slackline or tightrope riding, and probably track coasting, too.

Sorry for my English...if it is wrong
finnspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 06:33 PM   #19
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
(I personally almost exclusively use a 20", because I mostly care about learning new things, not riding any distances), and terrible for anything else.
If I may, 20" is terrible for going any long distance, or at high speeds (at least outside of the hockey rink).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Shirt cranks allow a slightly higher top speed and a higher cruising speed, but at the cost of reduced fine control especially on hills or when you need to change speed suddenly.
I don't know how much of an influence this has been on the large manufacturers, but also we now use 125mm as the crank length for Track racing. This is something only a tiny fraction of the world's unicyclists will ever do or care about, but I seem to see more of that size cranks on 24" conventional unicycles these days. It's a good all-around size for riding, except for on rough terrain, where you'll want to go longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule
I have 125s on my 20 at the moment. Then again, I have 11s on my 28!
I'd like to see those 11s. How do they have room for two holes?

I also used to use 125s on my 20". Back in the day, that's what came on the Miyatas and, once I made the switch to 20" (from 24") in the early 80s, all of my Freestyle and most of my performing were done on a 20" with 125s. Those seem incredibly long by today's Freestyle standards, with the pedals hitting the floor all the time. On my "new" Freestyle uni (circa 1995), I started with 110, couldn't cope, and switched to 114s. Then I started riding more Muni and less Freestyle, so that's still the setup. If I ever go back to riding in gyms, I will definitely play with much shorter cranks and see what I can learn to do with them. I'll probably start with 102s...

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)

Last edited by johnfoss; 2017-10-07 at 06:36 PM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 08:00 PM   #20
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Ah, yes.

Short cranks, not shirt cranks, and 114s on my 28, not 11s.

You thought Fat Fingers was an overweight pickpocket until you saw my typing.

Tags
eek 20