Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-10-04, 04:17 PM   #31
ScaredOldKid
Unicyclist

Wind!

No one mentioned it would be crazy to ride on windy days Ha Ha. Boy I sure got a lesson trying hard to fight a cross wind. Any tips???
Old 2017-10-04, 06:31 PM   #32
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOldKid View Post
Any tips???
Don't try spitting into the wind. Blowing snot in a cross wind many also create unexpected results.

With some experience I find it usually necessary to alter my commute route when wind gust exceed 60 mph when on a 36. A 36g in high gear will get increasingly difficult to keep straight as road crown and wind gust speed increases. As wheel size and/or height of rider's body increases the effects of wind increase. My 43 on the road in a 40 mph cross wind gets very squirrelly.

Remember that buildings, trees, and road cuts/fills create eddies and vortexes.

Keep at it and soon you should get it figured out.

Joe Myers

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-14, 11:16 PM   #33
ScaredOldKid
Unicyclist

Today went from 20" Club to 26" Nimbus Muni

WOW....Great fun. I borrowed a friends 26" Nimbus and love it. Going from learning on the 20" Street tire to the 26" off road was weird and rewarding....remember I'm a newbie to the this sport.
Cheer!
Old 2017-10-15, 02:10 PM   #34
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Quote:
Sorry but I just have to share my happiness today. I've been learning for two weeks about an hour a day and today I made 20 pedals.

I'm 57 and this sport scares the heck out of me. I blame You-Tube for tricking me into this. I watch dozens of "How To" vids and everybody struggled but where so happy when they finally had success. The one guy (Mike B) with his "yes yes YES" really hooked me.

Big thanks to the forum and all you folks for great advice.
Congratulations. Today, 20 pedals; tomorrow, the world!
Old 2017-10-16, 04:48 AM   #35
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
All the advice says to have your back straight up and in line with seat post angle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
That advice is utter nonsense. While riding steadily forwards, the frame is always leaning slightly back.
Like much beginner advice, that one is intended to remind people to sit up straight and not be a hunchback. Most then sit up a lot straighter but very few actually try to line up the frame and their spine. But even if they do, it's not a bad position for learning to ride, unless you are learning on a bumpy surface...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind
Secondly, aligning the frame and back would mean the vertical movements caused by every bump in the road would be transferred straight up into the rider while the horizontal forces would push the uni out from under them without much means to stop it.
True. That advice is intended for someone learning to ride on a flat, level surface. For most, once you move away from those areas you have passed beyond beginner into places where things get more complicated...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOldKid
Please Please tell me there is a time when you can relax a bit and enjoy this sport.
Not really. OneTrackMind was lying to you for PR reasons!

Okay, of course you will start to relax as soon as your rides get long enough to start thinking about other things. Pretty soon, probably. And aren't you enjoying this sport already??

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-16, 05:10 AM   #36
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

I teach dancing as a hobby and I have learned that what people are actually doing and what they think they are doing are not the same thing. Therefore, it is sometimes a good idea to encourage the student to aim for something that is simple to understand, although it would actually be impossible to achieve it perfectly.

I have taught or assisted a few riders in their early unicycling careers. The advice I give is:

Look some distance ahead, not at the floor directly in front of you.

Keep as much of your weight on the seat as possible.

Pull your hips forward and sit up straight. I know it is not literally possible to have your spine and the frame in a straight vertical line, but I might encourage someone to aim for this. A lot of beginners seem to lean or hunch forwards, perhaps because they are trying too hard, or perhaps because they feel safer keeping low. However, it is smoother and easier to balance if you keep your weight high. Therefore, pull your backside in and keep your head up.

Never fall off the back.
Old 2017-10-16, 07:52 AM   #37
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I know it is not literally possible to have your spine and the frame in a straight vertical line, but I might encourage someone to aim for this. A lot of beginners seem to lean or hunch forwards, perhaps because they are trying too hard, or perhaps because they feel safer keeping low.
We know this advice is a pet peeve of OneTrackMind, but nevertheless it helps precisely for the reasons described by Mikefule. When I help beginners, one thing which works well and is along the same line is "imagine there is a wire pulling your head upwards".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Never fall off the back.
Best advice. My sister in law learned it the hard way... she just cracked her tailbone trying the uni I gave my nephews for their birthday! Oops...
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, kid, learning to ride, scared, success