Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-10-02, 08:16 AM   #2056
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

UDC UK sell the spare buttons, I imagine most of the others do too!

Axel bolt and Buttons
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-02, 07:40 PM   #2057
pierrox
Unicyclist

They do, but they have been out of stock for a long time.

I ended up reaching out directly to Florian and they saved the day! Can't wait to get the replacement button from Switzerland!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-04, 04:40 AM   #2058
jogi
vegan rider

you can send the hub to Florian Schlumpf to fix it.

if you are a bit more experianced in mechanics you can get the shift axle from him and exchance it yourself.
www.ridetriton.com
jogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-04, 07:25 AM   #2059
pierrox
Unicyclist

Thanks!
It's only the button, and I have the tools to remove the bit that stayed on the rod.
Button is in the post, should be fixed soon!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-04, 09:11 AM   #2060
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Thanks!
It's only the button, and I have the tools to remove the bit that stayed on the rod.
Button is in the post, should be fixed soon!
As you know I had got some issues with buttons/shifting rod thread/bolts and I have learnt my lessons.
You should NEVER feel a resistance when screwing the button on the shifting rod.
If you have to force there is something wrong with the thread or with the tinny nut inside the button.
If you force anyway you can damage the thread of the button and the rod as well (then use a new button and restore the rod thread with some special tools) , or you can just snap it, like you did.

Always unscrew the tinny nut inside the button before trying to screw the button itself, if you don't unscrew the nut enough you won't be able to get the button far enough on the axle, and this is when you are likely to damage it.
When the button is at it's place you can screw the nut to block it at this position.

You're gonna like those 137's cranks on your G29
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-15, 09:10 AM   #2061
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Where do european Schlumpf owners buy their grease? And what kind of grease do you use?

It seems that the original Schlumpf grease has been discontinued. This is what I found:

SHELL ALVANIA GR 0974 - Shell Lubricants has discontinued this product. There is no DIRECT replacement, however Shell Lubricants suggests the recommended alternative SHELL GADUS S2 V220 00.

https://www.mil-specproducts.com/pro...LVANIA-GR-0974

I couldn't find this grease in smaller quantity than 18 kg.
Old 2017-10-15, 11:16 AM   #2062
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

SHELL GADUS S2 V220 00 is what Florain uses too.
Others have used ALPINE Fließfett DIN51502 GP00/000 K-30 (I have have a syringe of it too, but did not use it yet, but it seems to work well for others):
http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthr...62#post1668562
Anonther Greas which is pretty much the same (according to datasheet) is Castrol OLIT 00 (http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthr...5#post1668675) but none of us tested it yet.
Years ago, one bought a bucket SHELL GADUS S2 V220 00(maybe 0,5kg) from florian and sold it to others in syringes.

Ulkicycling (near Hamburg) has the 800g ALPINE Fließfett DIN51502 GP00/000 K-30 and can probably sell and send you some syringes of it.

P.S.: http://www.mitan-daten.de/daten/en_a... 00-000_en.pdf
28.05.2017: Europamarathon Görlitz

Last edited by Eric aus Chemnitz; 2017-10-15 at 11:19 AM.
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-15, 01:42 PM   #2063
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
Measurement needed!

Anyone who has the latest version of Schlumpf hubs, I need to know the distance between the bearing and the hub shell. How wide of a frame we can fit in those new hubs?

Thanks!
Old 2017-10-15, 05:23 PM   #2064
UniMyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
SHELL GADUS S2 V220 00 is what Florain uses too.
Others have used ALPINE Fließfett DIN51502 GP00/000 K-30 (I have have a syringe of it too, but did not use it yet, but it seems to work well for others):
http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthr...62#post1668562
Anonther Greas which is pretty much the same (according to datasheet) is Castrol OLIT 00 (http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthr...5#post1668675) but none of us tested it yet.
Years ago, one bought a bucket SHELL GADUS S2 V220 00(maybe 0,5kg) from florian and sold it to others in syringes.

Ulkicycling (near Hamburg) has the 800g ALPINE Fließfett DIN51502 GP00/000 K-30 and can probably sell and send you some syringes of it.

P.S.: http://www.mitan-daten.de/daten/en_a... 00-000_en.pdf
Thanks for the info. I couldn't find anyone that would ship to Norway (haven't asked Ulkicycling yet).

I recently ordered a KH 29 (2014 )frame on sale from Qu-Ax, and I'm planning on building a 29" wheel and put the Schlumpf hub in there. I probably won't be Schlumpfing until spring, so I have time to get some grease.

I wonder why UDC doesen't sell grease for their geared hub.
Old 2017-10-16, 12:00 AM   #2065
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Following a recommendation on here ages ago, I bought Landrover Swivel Housing Grease for use in mine. The properties of it are very similar to the recommended grease, I don't think the exact grease is all that important. I don't know how easy that is to find in other countries - I bought some on ebay.
Old 2017-10-16, 04:10 AM   #2066
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
This hub is a nice piece of work, but it's like a 70's British car, always breaking down like a princess... so many flimsy parts.
I know what you mean, but I don't think it's a fair comparison. Schlumpf hubs tend to be super-reliable without maintenance (other than adding grease very infrequently). They mostly only have problems when you work on them.

Compared to my dad's old MGB or my old Austin America's, you had to do maintenance, or repairs, on them all the time.

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-16, 06:32 AM   #2067
UniMyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Following a recommendation on here ages ago, I bought Landrover Swivel Housing Grease for use in mine. The properties of it are very similar to the recommended grease, I don't think the exact grease is all that important. I don't know how easy that is to find in other countries - I bought some on ebay.
Thanks! I ordered one of those.
Old 2017-10-17, 08:53 PM   #2068
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I finally took the bait and added a handlebar to my Guni. I am pretty comfortable riding without one, but figured if I'm going to use this for racing I might as well make it faster!

The fact that I have an easy place to stick my Garmin and headlight is nice too

“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-17, 09:12 PM   #2069
danger_uni
Kris Holm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni Klein View Post
Do you guys think these hubs are worth the money?

One way to consider this is in the distance of your daily rides, and whether it brings you past a tipping point to where you ride far more often. For example, my work commute is about 11 km each way, and I don't have much spare time. Without a geared 36er, I couldn't do it - wouldn't have enough time. I'd have to ride a bike. Using a geared KH36 just tips me over a threshold to where I ride hundreds if not thousands more kilometers every year, than without it.
danger_uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-18, 03:23 AM   #2070
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_uni View Post
One way to consider this is in the distance of your daily rides, and whether it brings you past a tipping point to where you ride far more often.
I see Kris' commute rides on Strava. Unfortunately it's not dirt! (Belated Strava Kudos, BTW!)

That's definitely a good approach to deciding the worth of the pricey hub, but there's more. The part that's hard to know is whether you will ride it a lot. Probably the only way to get an idea is to test ride one, if you have access to it. As a unicyclist, you will already know that things that seem impossible--or too hard--at first will not stay that way. I love the challenge of riding the geared hub on a 36" wheel. I'm still pushing my limits and learning. Gradually I'm getting more confident at shifting!

I think it boils down to will you ride it enough to make you happy with the purchase? It's hard to know. If you like the idea of a more challenging ride, where you can go faster while pedaling slower but not as easily, it's definitely worth it. If you're not sure, it's maybe better to see if you can test ride or borrow one first.

I actually got my original Schlumpf hub from someone who had purchased it earlier, but never ended up building it into a wheel. So I got a discount price on a unused one. There's always that -- you shouldn't have trouble selling it if it doesn't suit your fancy.

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)

Last edited by johnfoss; 2017-10-18 at 03:25 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discussion, general, hubs, mumpitz, schlumpf