Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-09-07, 05:04 PM   #1
ivan
Non-Danish Girl

Lunar eclipse

Is anyone gonna watch the lunar eclipse tonight?

I'm going in half an hour...
Old 2006-09-07, 05:32 PM   #2
Andy912912
Trying to do the impossible!Or not!

Lunar eclipse? Really? Mars was supposed to be seen August 27 the size of the moon...BUT it looked like a star and the moon was a new moon. What time is it there in Cyprus?
Old 2006-09-07, 07:38 PM   #3
ivan
Non-Danish Girl

Yeah, it's a partial lunar eclipse. I don't believe that Mars can ever be seen from earth the size of the moon. Unless the planet orbits get rearanged somehow. Anyway, it's almost finished now. I used the time to uni and hang out with my friends. It was really nice. It's almost 20 to 11 now. How are things in Puerto Rico? I've always wanted to check out South and a bit of Central America...
Old 2006-09-07, 10:46 PM   #4
UniBrier
Time To Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan
Is anyone gonna watch the lunar eclipse tonight?
Too bad my Learjet was in the shop or I would have gone.
Quote:
Some will call tonight's full moon the Harvest Moon, and why not? By definition, a Harvest Moon is the closest full moon to the September equinox. Tonight's full moon is almost - but not quite - as near the equinox on September 22 as the full moon in early October. This year, the October moon is a few hours closer. So, in 2006, the October full moon carries the official title Harvest Moon. But nature will have its way, despite our calendars. And the full moon tonight and for the next several evenings will behave exactly like a Harvest Moon. It rises around the time of sunset for several evenings in a row, lighting the sky from dusk until dawn tonight ... and from just after dusk until dawn for the next few evenings. What's more, this is the closest full moon for 2006, and there is a partial lunar eclipse seen in Australia, Asia, Europe and Africa - but not the Americas. This partial lunar eclipse marks the only time this year the darkest part of Earth’s shadow will fall on the moon’s face.
I heard someone once went to Nova Scotia for the total eclipse of the sun.

Shine on Harvest Moon.

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer

Last edited by UniBrier; 2006-09-07 at 10:47 PM.
UniBrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 11:09 PM   #5
toddw9
MRIS member

Send a message via ICQ to toddw9 Send a message via MSN to toddw9 Send a message via Skype™ to toddw9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy912912
Mars was supposed to be seen August 27 the size of the moon.
Ya somebody made that up and a bunch of people believed it.
Old 2006-09-07, 11:23 PM   #6
Naomi
Stupid Asian tart riding that thing

Darn, I didn't know about it and have missed it. The moon was full, huge and incredibly bright tonight, as expected, I suppose, if an eclipse is imminent. I only just realised this evening that an eclipse of the moon, unlike an eclipse of the sun, can be seen by anyone who can see the moon from where he is standing.
I never thought about that before.

Nao

Last edited by Naomi; 2006-09-07 at 11:26 PM.
Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 04:53 AM   #7
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniBrier
Too bad my Learjet was in the shop or I would have gone.
I heard someone once went to Nova Scotia for the total eclipse of the sun.

Shine on Harvest Moon.
You're so vain, southern man.

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-10, 07:27 AM   #8
weeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi
Darn, I didn't know about it and have missed it. The moon was full, huge and incredibly bright tonight, as expected, I suppose, if an eclipse is imminent. I only just realised this evening that an eclipse of the moon, unlike an eclipse of the sun, can be seen by anyone who can see the moon from where he is standing.
I never thought about that before.

Nao
I've always been a bit bothered by the way the same term "eclipse" is used to identify two different phenomena, something which shouldn't happen in scientific terminology. The Moon is darkened during a lunar eclipse by the shadow of Earth as Earth passes between the Moon and the Sun. When this happens to the moons of other planets, these events are also called eclipses. Eclipses of Jupiter's moons are common and easy to watch through a telescope. What we call a solar "eclipse" is more or less the opposite phenomenon, caused by the Moon passing in front of the Sun and obscuring it from view. This really should more properly be called an occultation, since that's what we call it when the Moon passes in front of any other star, or planet, or when a planet or any other object does the same. Applying the term "eclipse" to a solar occultation seems like sloppy science, and only confuses people.

Astronomy was my major hobby for a few years, while I was living under a dark nighttime sky in Wisconsin. During that period I owned one unicycle and, if I count correctly, six telescopes. After moving to downtown Minneapolis, where the sky is washed out by lights, I've fallen away from it all, and it's depressing to me to realize that I didn't even know that an eclipse was happening, even though it wouldn't have been visible to me anyway.

The Mars thing is outdated information. Snopes has a listing about it. A well-meaning cousin of mine sent me the Mars EMail a couple of weeks ago; I was a little puzzled for a moment, as even in my state of diminished awareness I was pretty sure that this was an off-year for Mars viewing.
is mine, and what it is too. - Ms. Anne Elk
weeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-10, 07:35 AM   #9
ivan
Non-Danish Girl

I also like atronomy. I even wated to become an astronomer at some point. I still might, I don't know. I wanted to get into starwatching, but there's too much light pollution around here. I watched a solar occultation this year and now a lunar eclipse... Really nice.

Tags
eclipse, lunar