Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-06-19, 02:46 PM   #1
onlyneedsone
Unicyclist

Have you seen the lunacycle?

http://www.inventist.com/inventions/lunicycle/

So my job is getting these in and I'm honestly really excited because we never carry unicycles. It looks a lot like the smallest the ultimate wheel udc has, but it has leg rests that are supposed to make learning to ride this easier than learning to ride a traditional uni. When they come in I'm hoping my manager will let me build one for display and to test ride. If not I might just buy to try.
Any opinions on it? I doubt it'll be easier to learn than a standard uni but I do like the leg saving, leg rests and the colour is pretty cool. Name:  1img.lunicycle-media-1.png
Views: 515
Size:  237.2 KB

Name:  2img.lunicycle-media-3.png
Views: 490
Size:  137.5 KB

Saving for
Nimbus nightfox
onlyneedsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-19, 03:19 PM   #2
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

We discussed it on here when it was first released - first hit using the search on here:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116605

I think the conclusion was that it's possibly easier than learning a conventional uni but definitely a lot easier than a UW. However it's a harder workout to ride any distance as you're standing up the whole time.
Old 2016-06-19, 10:12 PM   #3
William393
Supreme Commander

anyone who has had the problem of calf rubbing on tire will immediately recognize this modification as PURE GENIOUS!!!!!

I am so tempted to get one immediately. However, I got plantar fasciatis from riding the UW, and I do not want to get that again.

Lots to think about here. Very tempting!!!!!

Will they be legal in the NAUCC and UNICON UW race???????
William393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-19, 10:18 PM   #4
William393
Supreme Commander

When will it be produced in a 36"???
Old 2016-06-20, 12:56 AM   #5
onlyneedsone
Unicyclist

Thanks for the link! I didn't realize it had come out earlier lots of good info on it in there. A 36er would be fun if they ever came out with one I'd happily test it (or buy it)!

Saving for
Nimbus nightfox
Old 2016-06-22, 07:34 PM   #6
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by William393 View Post
Will they be legal in the NAUCC and UNICON UW race???????
Good question! This is the definition in the rules, which I think is the same for USA and IUF Rulebooks:

"Ultimate wheel: A special unicycle consisting of only a wheel and pedals, with no frame or seat."

My interpretation of this would be that the leg supports on the Lunacycle could be considered a frame, at least in terms of comparison with a "regular" ultimate wheel. In other words, the intent of the Ultimate Wheel race is to have "plain" UWs that don't have leg supports. This will have to be addressed in the future.

The Racing Referee at each of those competitions should have the final say on how it will be handled under the existing rules. Were it up to me I would not allow the Lunacycle because it has a distinct advantage over a traditional UW. Then should follow an update of the rules for UW racing, to be more specific about "leg supports" or similar, and how they should be considered in the future.

EDIT:
I just read the older thread, to learn that the wheel on these things is not round. This would help with the learning process, and might actually make it easier to learn than a regular uni. But if you wanted to go fast on one, the non-round wheel would be a detriment. At typical UW race speeds, it could be a big problem. I still wouldn't allow it to race, but it might not be that big of a difference at high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William393 View Post
When will it be produced in a 36"???
If I may dare to predict the future, as soon as you make one yourself. :-)

I'm fascinated by this "improvement" on the basic Ultimate Wheel, and tempted to get one before they're gone. It's a novelty thing, that will appeal only to a pretty small market, and is unlikely to keep being produced unless they have strong sales. Get one while they last!

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2016-06-22 at 07:40 PM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-22, 08:37 PM   #7
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
EDIT:
I just read the older thread, to learn that the wheel on these things is not round.
I'm kind of surprised you learned that from reading the old thread:

Quote:
I think everyone that questioned the oval wheel were non-UW riders. The oval would definitely smooth out the learning curve, which is (supposedly) what this invention is about.
(and no I didn't go looking to catch you out, I skimmed the thread when I linked it above and noticed you commenting on that)
Old 2016-06-23, 08:50 PM   #8
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I saw that too, when I read the old thread. Then I remembered the idea of a non-round ultimate wheel. Funny that at the time I was more interested in the oval, and this time I'm struck by the leg supports. Now I really want to try one...

Old 2016-06-24, 01:03 AM   #9
onlyneedsone
Unicyclist

Do you think if you wanted to make a UW 36er with the leg supports that the wheel would be better off round rather than oval shaped? Making one for cruising the neighbourhood or the beach sounds like a fun project one summer.

Saving for
Nimbus nightfox
Old 2016-06-25, 06:27 AM   #10
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I think you would absolutely want circular. The out-of-round is more important as the wheel gets smaller, and to "purists" like us, we might not want it in the first place. It would kind of limit you to a certain range of speeds. Go to fast, and it'll start hopping on you.

Old 2016-06-25, 10:56 PM   #11
William393
Supreme Commander

Quote:
The Racing Referee at each of those competitions should have the final say on how it will be handled under the existing rules. Were it up to me I would not allow the Lunacycle because it has a distinct advantage over a traditional UW. Then should follow an update of the rules for UW racing, to be more specific about "leg supports" or similar, and how they should be considered in the future.
If they wait until the competition to re-write the rule, the Lunacycle should be eligible. How many judges would be happy if they bought a unicycle frame, and instead ended up with simple leg supports??? [It does not fit the letter of the law as to how we generally define unicycle frame].

John, have i got a uni frame for you!!

Quote:
If I may dare to predict the future, as soon as you make one yourself. :-)

I'm fascinated by this "improvement" on the basic Ultimate Wheel, and tempted to get one before they're gone. It's a novelty thing, that will appeal only to a pretty small market, and is unlikely to keep being produced unless they have strong sales. Get one while they last!
Whoever decides to manufacture them in 29" or 36" should post here now. I'm shocked that you view this as a passing fad or novelty. I'll bet they are here to stay. They might even find an official place in NAUCC/UNICON, if only at the kids level.

Last edited by William393; 2016-06-25 at 10:59 PM.

Tags
lunacycle