Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-08-02, 10:49 PM   #1
KuphJr
Unicyclist

Question New Street Unicycle

I just went to a local bike shop and they had a street unicycle for sale. (I have had two unicycles before but I broke them jumking down stairs.) They said they would give it to me for $130 even thought the tag said $160. I bought it on the spot. I want to know if it is actually any good for a street unicycle. I am mainly concerned about the thick and heavy wheel. It is a Sun with a 20x4.25 inch wheel. Is such a thick wheel common among street cycles? What are some of the benefits to such a thick wheel? Should I return it and get a street unicycle online with a 2.5 inch thick wheel?

Sorry but I am kind of a newbie when it comes to street unicycles.
KuphJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-02, 11:22 PM   #2
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

20x4.25 sounds REALLY fat, even for street. That tyre must look like a donut...

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles...-unicycle.html

It seems Club do a similar ride.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 12:22 AM   #3
KuphJr
Unicyclist

When I went to the link you posted it made it sounds like the unicycle was more a novelty than a real street unicycle. I think maybe I should take it back and get a 2.5 inch wheel. I want to be able to do more tricks. I just think it will be to heavy for any tricks. I wish it would not have been advertised as a "street " unicycle.
KuphJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 03:14 AM   #4
song
Unicyclist

A wheel like that has lots of rotational momentum. Though I haven't spent a lot of time riding one, my impression was that they're not much good for tricks. I managed to idle and bunny hop a little, but it was heavy and the top of the fork was so wide that it poked my calves. A bike shop owner offered me one for what was supposed to be a discounted price- $200. The fat tire is supposed to be good for riding on sand, I think I read somewhere, though when I told the bike shop owner that, he just roared with laughter.

Here's a thread about "monsters." It doesn't say much beyond what you've already figured out, though. Definitely NOT a street unicycle.

Last edited by song; 2014-08-03 at 03:20 AM.
song is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, shopping, street, unicycle