Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2014-08-22, 03:30 AM   #361
blackthunder
Unicyclist

I picked up a dirt wizard 120 tpi about 6 weeks ago and have been riding it on my 26 oracle. My lack of experience doesn't place me well to give a review, regardless, here is my review. Prior to this I had the stock Duro tire which was my first muni so I have nothing to compare it against. I never seemed to find a PSI that I liked (possibly due to my inexperience) and I generally found it quite difficult to turn, especially at lower speed. At lower pressure I would hit the rim when hopping and at slightly higher I would UPD under normal riding. Immediately after switching to the DW I found the uni to be much more responsive, easier to control and faster. It took me a little time to get the right pressure for hopping and have now accomplished this without the higher PSI effecting me, which could be due to my increase saddle time and subsequent comfort. I found my cadence increased significantly and did have to change from 165 cranks to 150's, I have noticed no difference in my climbing (or lack of) ability. I practice climbing on a steep grass embankment that has often been wet and it has never lost traction going up or down. I will be interested to see how it quickly it wears. I try to ride 3-5 hours per week with about a 50/50 split of road and trails.
blackthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-07, 09:24 AM   #362
Juan M
Unicyclist

Location: Chile, Brazil, Venezuela, Panama, Mexico now in Dubai, UAE
I tested the DW 26x2.75 120 tpi not too much off road - hard pack with small rocks - but mostly road (30/70)
Unnoticeable rolling resistance, excellent turning, very good grip, lots of volume and easy to get the pressure nailed ... I really love this tyre.
Juan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 03:14 AM   #363
blackthunder
Unicyclist

Dirt Wizard 120 TPI Tubeless

I wanted to post my experience with attempting ghetto tubeless on the dirt wizard 120 TPI and a dominator 2 rim.

My reasoning for wanting to set this tire up tubeless was that the pressure I liked was getting a lot of rim strikes when hitting roots etc., and tire fold whilst hopping. I tried increasing the pressure but didn't like the feel so I decided to give tubeless a go.

I was able to set this tire up tubeless with great ease using: gorilla tape, threaded schrader valve cut from an inner tube, and orange sealant (4oz). I used the old rim strip on the outside of the tire to help the tire keep its shape and then inflated it first time using a co2 cartridge pump.

The tire held air well, I found about 15 psi had a feel that I really liked whilst reducing rim strikes and fold. Unfortunately that is the good, the bad was excess burping when hopping which would very quickly diminish the tire pressure to the point that I hated the feel. So, today I went back to the tube. However, I would definitely go tubeless again but this time I would do 2 things different:
1) Use a tubeless ready tire (Probably a Scwalbe Hans Dampf Evo Gravity), 2) Pony up the money for proper rim tape as the gorilla tape was very difficult to remove after only 4 weeks.
blackthunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muni, official, page, review, tyre