Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2018-05-31, 09:49 AM   #7981
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Yesterday I got a dry, "Very commendable," from some middle aged bloke.

Also, a "Sweet!" from a teenager on a bike.
Old 2018-06-01, 03:45 PM   #7982
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Yesterday I got my first comment ever for NOT being on my unicycle. A lady walking her dog asked me „where’s your bicycle?“ when I was jogging one of my more standard unicycle routes.

(This leads to the question, whether some people think that a unicycle is just a special type of bicycle. At least special enough to mention the fact that you’re not riding it when they see you without.)

(When my main sport was running many years ago, sometimes strangers asked me why I‘m riding a bike instead of running as usual.)
I鼠l never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)

Last edited by Onewheelhenni; 2018-06-01 at 03:55 PM.
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-01, 03:48 PM   #7983
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Today a neighbor witnessed me riding my Hatchet over some bricks I laid on the ground randomly and bursted out жhat a monster!.
(She hadn稚 seen my Hatchet yet)
I鼠l never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Old 2018-06-01, 04:14 PM   #7984
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
Today a neighbor witnessed me riding my Hatchet over some bricks I laid on the ground randomly and bursted out жhat a monster!.
(She hadn稚 seen my Hatchet yet)
It's comments like that that stopped me riding in a kilt.
Old 2018-06-03, 05:15 AM   #7985
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Yesterday I got my first comment ever for NOT being on my unicycle. A lady walking her dog asked me жhere痴 your bicycle? when I was jogging one of my more standard unicycle routes.
The impressive thing about that is that this lady recognized you without the unicycle! I'm pretty sure if I showed up on our local bike path on a bike, nobody would notice anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
It's comments like that that stopped me riding in a kilt.
Ow. Just the thought of riding "commando" in a kilt -- have you done it for any length of time?

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-03, 03:17 PM   #7986
evil-nick
Unicyclist, Linux Geek, & swell guy

Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol System
Send a message via ICQ to evil-nick
Not exactly a comment...

My wife and I biked to her mom's yesterday, and upon arrival my mother-in-law said "I didn't even know you had a bike!"
evil-nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 08:33 PM   #7987
kickstand
Unicyclist

Wiley Coyote

Fun one today. Riding along and from behind I hear: 鉄o, I guess you are a fan of Wiley Coyote痴 favorite shopping center. Seemed especially appropriate for me since I was headed to ACME Coffee Roasing afterward to further jet propel my day! 🚀 😊🙃😊🙃😊!
Old 2018-06-27, 10:07 PM   #7988
DrD
Unicyclist

Try, try, try again...

I was riding along a canal tow path earlier in the month when I UPDed after someone passed me on a bike. I was pretty out of breath at the time but thought I'd best get back on and continue rather than wait.

After the third botched freemount while trying to get my breath back, a passing woman from a couple out with their dog remarked, "If at first you don't succeed, and all that". I didn't have a witty comeback at the time, but my first thought was along the lines of 'with this malarkey you have absolutely no idea how right you are'.
DrD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-29, 02:38 PM   #7989
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

A few days ago (and sorry, not quite the usual quote thing!):

"do you think it's a good idea to ride that through here?" - I was on my giraffe in a fairly busy pedestrianised area (we've discussed this elsewhere, I've done a lot of practice and 100% confident in my skills to avoid hitting anybody), the obvious implication being that he thought it wasn't!

I did have to work hard not to laugh as the discussion progressed - I mean he'd presumably just watched me manoeuvre through a narrow gap with tight turns and I was sitting there idling whilst talking to him (he caught me as I was idling waiting for a bit more room). The point he completely lost the argument IMHO was when he asked what would happen if a dog ran out in front of me* - as I pointed out, that would be an issue with a dog not being under control, not anything to do with my choice of transport. I asked him if I didn't look like I was under control, and he said he wasn't sure, which was the point I really had to restrain myself from laughing as I idled away! Oh, but the best bit was that I asked who he was and he said he was from Worcester BID (a business improvement thing) - I then suggested that it was a bit more of a pain than usual with all the cars parked in the pedestrianised area, doubtless he was there as part of the organisation of the "car show" (an honest opinion of mine - I did think WTF are all these cars doing here and that however "important" it might be for business that's no excuse for clogging up the ped area when the council should be doing more to encourage people out of their cars).

* arguments about avoiding dogs which run out in front of you always lose IMHO - dogs are supposed to be kept under control, yet it seems there's more tolerance for people not bothering with that than for people doing perfectly legitimate things trying to avoid them. Had another one yesterday when a woman had a huge number of dogs all off leads on a shared use path, was coming towards me so must have seen me plenty of time in advance, yet I had to call out as I approached to get her to pay attention. She still hadn't managed to clear any space on the path as I came up to her, so I just managed to squeeze past right on the side - at which point she gasped presumably because she was suddenly worried about her dogs because I'd come quite close to a couple of them For those in different countries where things might be different, there's a clear instruction in our Highway Code to keep dogs on short leads on such paths https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...rules-56-to-58
Old 2018-07-01, 10:16 AM   #7990
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
I've done a lot of practice and 100% confident in my skills to avoid hitting anybody), the obvious implication being that he thought it wasn't!
I've seen this too a few times when just riding on the cyclepaths, some mostly women that look at me all scared, certain that I am going to fall against them or something. Some also have to mention that to their fellow riders. "It shouldn't be allowed to ride on 1 wheel."

Yesterday an older guy riding with his buddies on racebikes told me to keep both hands on the steer ( was riding with a T-bar and for safety had 1 hand in the air. As I put my other hand on the bar as well, they all laughed ). I thought it was quite funny.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-06, 09:25 AM   #7991
Danny Colyer
Unicyclist

Riding to work this morning, a child in a pushchair (new enough to talking that you'd need experience of toddlers to be able to make out the words) came out with: "Upside-down"

I wondered for a while about the mind of a child, then realised that "upside-down" is probably the only phrase that this child has so far learnt to describe something out of the ordinary.
Old 2018-07-07, 02:42 AM   #7992
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
While sitting ON my unicycle yesterday, leaning against a post, waiting for the streetlight to change to green, a lady in a car (also waiting for the light):
"Do you really ride that?"
Sorry, that one just begs lots of snarky responses. My earlier one was boring. How about:

"No, I've been stuck up here for three days! Can someone bring me some water and a sandwich?"

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-07, 06:02 AM   #7993
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Had a WYOW from a dog-walker yesterday. Answered И left it at home. I don稚 need it anymore.
As I was having a short break for drinking, a bike rider stopped, closely inspected my hatchet, nodded impressedly, said hi and continued on his ride.
Old 2018-07-07, 07:00 AM   #7994
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Had a WYOW from a dog-walker yesterday.
Did you ask where their other dog was?
Old 2018-07-07, 10:40 AM   #7995
Danny Colyer
Unicyclist

Riding home from work yesterday, I hadn't planned to bother too much with the climb out of this underpass in the sweltering heat:
https://goo.gl/maps/87iBgcexGnQ2

I thought I'd ride a short way up, then walk. But there was a group of teenagers in the underpass and one of them called out: "You can do it."

Of course, then I had to do it. I carried on to the top of the hill.

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle