Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2007-03-21, 11:53 PM   #1516
roakey
Unicyclist
 
roakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Age: 61
Posts: 82
I got my first "Joining the Circus?" comment today. I was riding out in front of work and he was obviously a suit from upper management. I replied “I already work for one.” Probably a good thing he had no idea who I am…

Roak
__________________
roakeyatunderctekdotcom
<== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
roakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 09:26 AM   #1517
cathwood
Life's a beach
 
cathwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Prestatyn
Age: 52
Posts: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by roakey
I got my first "Joining the Circus?" comment today. I was riding out in front of work and he was obviously a suit from upper management. I replied “I already work for one.” Probably a good thing he had no idea who I am…

Roak
Made me laugh.

That's what I say too, or approximately. Never said it to a manager though.
__________________
Cathy
cathwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 02:47 PM   #1518
anam
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 32
Caution swearing & UK english ahead

So riding home last night the following happened.

I'd spotted a bunch of teen lads hanging around, smoking and generally looking tough, I took note & prepared for evasive action incase they fancied "a laff" when from over my shoulder I heard a yell of "Fall off you cunt" coming from a trashy looking white van (one of those cruddy little suzuki things). One of the lads immediately sprang up and yelled at the van driver "fuck off! he (pointing at me) is fucking GANGSTA". I'm still laughing about it now.

and Roakey I was at a meeting with our CEO today when the subject of B* sheds came up (this is an ongoing rumble at work, that I've tried to stay out off) when he turned to me & said "I suppose your not that bothered since you only need half of one anyway "
anam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 05:04 PM   #1519
Hal.Verde
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, UK
Age: 34
Posts: 14
Send a message via MSN to Hal.Verde
Not a new one, but the other day I was walking with my unicycle when I heard a kid behind me say "Look mum, it's a unicorn!"

Made me giggle anyway.
Hal.Verde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 05:07 PM   #1520
roakey
Unicyclist
 
roakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Age: 61
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathwood
Made me laugh.

That's what I say too, or approximately. Never said it to a manager though.
I work for a really, really big company and no manager in their right mind on the engineering side of things (where I work) would wear a suit because it makes them too easy to pick out, given that engineers and managers get along like cats and dogs -- it's a genetic thing, I think.

Yhea, I'm painting with a broad brush trying to be humorous

Roak
__________________
roakeyatunderctekdotcom
<== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!

Last edited by roakey; 2007-03-22 at 05:08 PM.
roakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 07:16 PM   #1521
gkmac
     
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo
I guess the 2 dogs would have killed you or at least hurt you very badly, and so he would have been suid this man to bankruptcy.
Errr, no. Bad dogs usually aim to hurt me whilst I'm riding, so in that sense it's much better to stop, thus ceasing to be a threat to them.

And no I couldn't sue him. I'm not American, thus I don't have these thoughts.
__________________
     
gkmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 08:53 PM   #1522
thejdw
elcycinu
 
thejdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio, USA
Age: 28
Posts: 5,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by anam
So riding home last night the following happened.

I'd spotted a bunch of teen lads hanging around, smoking and generally looking tough, I took note & prepared for evasive action incase they fancied "a laff" when from over my shoulder I heard a yell of "Fall off you cunt" coming from a trashy looking white van (one of those cruddy little suzuki things). One of the lads immediately sprang up and yelled at the van driver "fuck off! he (pointing at me) is fucking GANGSTA". I'm still laughing about it now.

and Roakey I was at a meeting with our CEO today when the subject of B* sheds came up (this is an ongoing rumble at work, that I've tried to stay out off) when he turned to me & said "I suppose your not that bothered since you only need half of one anyway "
hahahahahaha
__________________
I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!
thejdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 12:04 AM   #1523
roakey
Unicyclist
 
roakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Age: 61
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkmac
Today I encountered a runner coming the other way who was accompanied by two energetic dogs. As I passed he said "Thanks for not falling off".

What the hell did he mean by that???
Could be a reference to a very old, long joke that I'll shorten as best I can.

Old timer invites his friend to go ‘coon hunt’n one weekend. The friend shows up with a rifle, and the old timer tells him: “You won’t need that, we got Spike” – gesturing to his dog.

So they head off into the woods and soon come upon a treed ‘coon. The old timer shakes the tree, the coon falls and Spike pounces upon the ‘coon instantly killing him. This continues for several more ‘coons.

Then they come upon a HUGE ‘coon waaaay up in a tree. The old timer shakes the tree as hard as he can, but the ‘coon doesn’t fall. Finally he climbs the tree in an attempt to shake the coon out, but a limb gives way and he loses his grip… As he begins to fall he yells to his friend “Oh my gawd, quick! Shoot Spike!”

Who knows, but it reminded me of that joke they way you said the comment was delivered…

Roak
__________________
roakeyatunderctekdotcom
<== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
roakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 08:57 AM   #1524
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'
 
wobbling bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: European Union (S-W)
Age: 69
Posts: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by roakey
I work for a really, really big company and no manager in their right mind on the engineering side of things (where I work) would wear a suit because it makes them too easy to pick out, given that engineers and managers get along like cats and dogs -- it's a genetic thing, I think.
exactly the same here.
When engineering people wear a suit it is so special that you can at once guess the guy is from the "boiler room".
we also use the term "lion's food" for middle management: do you?
(and do you know the origin of the term?)
__________________
One Wheel : bear necessity
(Abuello RodoMancat)
wobbling bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 12:09 PM   #1525
roakey
Unicyclist
 
roakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Age: 61
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear
exactly the same here.
When engineering people wear a suit it is so special that you can at once guess the guy is from the "boiler room".
we also use the term "lion's food" for middle management: do you?
(and do you know the origin of the term?)
Does it have something to do with the score Lions/Romans 4,375, Christians 0? But no, we don't use the term here for middle management.

Not counting the managers that use engineering as a stepping stone to management, there are exactly three reasons we see a fellow engineer in a suit:
  • They're going to a wedding
  • They're going to a funeral
  • They're interviewing for another job
One of my friends has exactly one suit which he calls his "Marry 'em and bury 'em suit."

Roak
__________________
roakeyatunderctekdotcom
<== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!

Last edited by roakey; 2007-03-23 at 12:11 PM.
roakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 06:06 PM   #1526
Hal.Verde
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, UK
Age: 34
Posts: 14
Send a message via MSN to Hal.Verde
We got "Are you going to join the circus?" today. My friend said "Yes. I'm going to be the bearded lady."

Take that, boring scallies.
Hal.Verde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 08:35 PM   #1527
skrobo
jumps stuff
 
skrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Corpus Christi TX
Age: 29
Posts: 4,430
Send a message via AIM to skrobo
thats pretty good.
__________________
><> Unicycle For Christ <><
MY VIDEOS
World Record
94cm Highest Hop (rolling)
308cm Longest Hop (10 feet)
210cm Static Flat Gap
skrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 10:49 PM   #1528
Unibugg
Registered User
 
Unibugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 53
Posts: 813
6 year old next door neighbor after seeing me helmetless for several days notices my new red helmet. Smiling she points to her own pink helmet and says:

Now you are a "propessional" rider, just like me.
Unibugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 01:10 AM   #1529
allskrewedup
Yo, ROCK ON
 
allskrewedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 59
my brother was riding and some kid said "hey, nice tricycle"
__________________
><>unicycle for Christ<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgschulze
it grabs my pants
allskrewedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 04:16 AM   #1530
Det-riot
I unicycle?!
 
Det-riot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Detroit
Age: 27
Posts: 1,276
today i was showing off out side my local library
and i jump mount do a unispin put my seat in and gap some steps, and after
all that some lady goes, wow. you got on tha on your 1st try?!?!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrick
I think we should get off the topic off kinky/horny girls and unicycles, and back to creepy horny men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Into the blue
GILD, did you have clothes on when you spoke to me on the phone?
MRIS!!!!
3,000th post!

Last edited by Det-riot; 2007-03-25 at 04:18 AM.
Det-riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2016 Gilby
You Rated this Thread:
Page generated in 0.54688 seconds with 10 queries