Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-12-12, 07:40 PM   #1
guffey
guffey

old unicycle project question

I posted this on an old bicycle site and was steered to this site. I wondered if anyone could help me figure out who the manufacturer was and maybe about the time frame of this unicycle frame Thanks in advance
Attached Images

guffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-13, 02:31 PM   #2
UnderTheLake
I like pavement.

I'm no expert (there aren't any), but it looks homemade or custom. The seat post clamp is unique. The bearing holders are better than most factory frames from the 60's or 70's. I'll defer to johnfoss, who knows more than anyone should about unicycle history. You might have more success dating the seat.

Last edited by UnderTheLake; 2017-12-13 at 02:45 PM.
UnderTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-14, 09:10 PM   #3
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

That frame is COOL! I've never seen one like it. Very interesting, and I am definitely leaning toward handmade. By a real craftsman. Do you think it's steel, aluminum or something else? What's the history of that uni that you are aware of? In other words, how (and where) did you come to acquire it?

It's probably an optical illusion, but the bearing holes look like they're oval. If they are, that would be really, really weird. What's the intended wheel size or distance from axle to inside top of fork crown?

I have seen some aluminum frames that are from the 1940s or 50s, which I was told were made by Nissen, a company that still makes gymnastics equipment like trampolines, balance beams and such. But this one is different.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-15, 12:10 AM   #4
guffey
guffey

It is cast brass and nickel or chrome plated. The seat post clamp is a steel insert in the brass casting. The axle holes are round. It has a Messenger seat. I bought it years ago as is, at a bike meet, maybe Portland. I am pretty sure it takes a 24" wheel I am not sure it had bearings, maybe a bushing ??
Old 2017-12-15, 07:54 AM   #5
jogi
vegan rider

Question

ok if john dont know....
i have seen that frame or simular in an artist museum noth of berlin germany.
so if John dont know it, may be its an old artist frame build in the USSR. in the early 20 century they made bears riding bikes and unicycles in cirkus. if you look on saddle and how strong the frame is...

metric screw thread?
www.ridetriton.com

Last edited by jogi; 2017-12-15 at 07:55 AM.
jogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-15, 10:22 AM   #6
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

If the Russian bear is following you on that machine in the forest: Make sure you have a bigger wheel
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-18, 12:39 AM   #7
guffey
guffey

I believe it has sae ameican threads?
Old 2017-12-19, 06:46 AM   #8
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffey View Post
It has a Messenger seat. -- I am not sure it had bearings, maybe a bushing ??
Is that icky bike seat a Messenger? They also made unicycle seats (rectangular mostly), and were the company that manufactured the old Schwinn seats (through the mid-1980s). Those big holes in the fork legs are for the bearings; cartridge bearings in those dimensions are very common, for unicycles and all sorts of machines. Those are better bearing holders than most bargain-priced unicycles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogi View Post
so if John dont know it, may be its an old artist frame build in the USSR. in the early 20 century they made bears riding bikes and unicycles in cirkus.
Or could be a custom job for any circus artist around the world. If the bolts are non-metric, more likely US-made, or depending on age, could be from other countries that haven't been metric for a long time. There are plenty of skilled craftsmen out there who make beautiful props for performers who can afford them.

As for cycling bears, bikes yes, unicycles no. If you know otherwise, I'd love so see any links! In person I've seen a chimpanzee ride a unicycle, and a bear ride a bicycle (Moscow Circus in NY). Most impressive of all, though, was an elephant walking on a rolling globe (Latvia State Circus)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunstrasen View Post
If the Russian bear is following you on that machine in the forest: Make sure you have a bigger wheel
Your wheel only has to be bigger than one of the people you're with...

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-19, 08:25 AM   #9
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Very nice find. Looks very strong below the seat post. I am sure it has an interesting story behind it. This is the sort of rare thing I hope to find at yard sales.

Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
project, question, unicycle