Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-09-13, 07:05 AM   #31
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

There are other factors as well (assuming you fit on all sizes).

1.) riding style:
Some people mainly ride on wide fire roads and want to cover some distance. They probably go for a 29. If it is more technical, singletrail, steep, etc. 26 or 27.5 will probalbly be choosen.

2.) tire choice:
Fun/no fun on a Muni depends so much on a good tire (grip, autosteer, damping, rolling resistance, etc). I personaly think that those plus size tires (between 2,6 and 3,0 inch wide) are an excellent choice for Muni. As there is the biggest choice of those plus size tires in 27.5, I simply went for that size.
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 01:46 PM   #32
gwymer
Unicyclist

Awesome points and information!!

I personally really agree with your comments-they are spot on. If you have read the thread to this point, you know I am struggling with my new 2,4 tire on my QX27.5. I am thinking I will probably end up changing it back out for a 3,0.

Others have input???
gwymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 07:12 PM   #33
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

I think of my QX 27.5 with a 3" tire as an improved version of my old 29" with a 2.4" - similar sized wheel, great for cross country type trails, too tall and klutzy for technical riding.

Compared to the 29" it seems quicker and rolls over stuff better. Plus it's generally a higher quality unicycle.

So for technical trails I ride my 26", for the faster XC I use the 27.5+, and the 29" got retired to road riding with a smooth tire and short cranks.

You're welcome to ride the 27.5 at the STOMP fest, I'm still planning on going. I haven't signed up officially since the wife and dogs hadn't committed until a couple days ago...
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 01:06 AM   #34
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

I'm 6'3" and like riding all mountain with preference for cross country.
I ride my KH29 with a 3" Minion in the summer and throw the 3 1/4" Crux on for the winter. (we have fat bike trails through the winter!)
Pedals in the 127mm holes or switch to the 150's if it's a day of climbing.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-17, 12:50 PM   #35
gwymer
Unicyclist

Great insights from everyone!!

I have seen a couple of teens attempt the 36er on the trails. That is a sight to see.
I think we can all pretty much agree that 29, for now, is the practical max for the trails.

Got some more miles on the QX27.5 over the last couple of weeks. I even hit a new trail on it. I am getting much more used to the brake and it hasn't given me any more trouble. I am still having more UPDs with the smaller (more air pressure) tire. I will try one with the 3.0 at STOMP to be sure, but probably will go ahead and switch to it. My friend, who I ride with weekly, wouldn't agree with me. He likes the smaller tire. I like the fatter softer one though. When it comes to that--I guess personal preference is the true measure.
Old 2018-11-06, 01:14 PM   #36
gwymer
Unicyclist

Long and Overdue Update

3 months now with the QX27.5--Wanted to share updates

October brought STOMP-an AWESOME time with Ed Pratt, 32 others, and a whole weekend of riding. I also got to ride Marty's QX27.5+ with the 3" tire. Then last week I hit Thunder and Lightning at Oak Mtn for the first time. -Both black diamond great trails. Then this last weekend I got back on my KH26-due to my pinch flat from Thunder. SO, my updated thoughts.......

-Loving the speed of the 27.5, I had maxed out the 26 without shorter cranks
-I do have a new click-think it is my pedal
-Lightning meant I had to rely on the brake, not ride-able without it
-Still not loving the tire size
-Back on my 26 felt so natural
-Can't decide if it is the size of the tire or the wheel
-Will definitely order a 3" tire for the 27.5
-My riding buddy is already in the process of ordering his own QX27.5

SUMMARY: quality, weight, and ride-ability of QX27.5 is really good. Like the speed of the larger wheel, but it isn't too large to make me awkward. Do miss either the 3" tire or the comfort of my old KH26 though. 3 months has not made me as comfortable and proficient on the new unicycle as my old one. Not sure still what that means--several variables to still work through (tire size, wheel size, time in the saddle)

Will continue to update...............
Old 2018-11-06, 07:52 PM   #37
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

I'm riding a 3' wtb ranger tcs light fast rolling: it is really light, grippy and fast: perfect for climbing or fast cross country unicycling. I think it is far better than the maxxis ardent 2.4 I was riding before

Last edited by Vogelfrei80; 2018-11-06 at 07:53 PM.
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-24, 02:50 AM   #38
wrotenberry
Unicyclist

I had a maiden cross country ride on my new Quax QX Series 27.5 today down Jekyll & Hyde trail at Oak Mountain State Park in Pelham, Alabama. It's setup identical to my KH26 with the same tire and tire pressure, saddle, and gear ratios. Here are my conclusions:

Climbing - Identical in every way. Being a pure climber I had no issue getting up anything my KH26 could climb.

Speed and Handling - The slightly bigger wheel is definitely faster. I shaved around 5 minutes off my 6.5 mile ride today compared to my KH26. And handling was identical to my KH26 except the QX27.5 did roll over obstacles better that the KH26.

Brake (QX27.5) - I almost forgot I had a brake but did test it out on some downhills. It worked well saving my legs. I'll definitely enjoy using it more in the future once I get used to it.

My conclusion is if you're riding a 26" Muni, the 27.5 is definitely worth the upgrade. It's slightly bigger wheel will definitely mean more speed and less UPD's. I still love my KH26 and will continue to ride it. But I will start splitting rides between it and the QX27.5.
wrotenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-25, 08:21 PM   #39
Strokin99
Unicyclist

What size tire are running on the 26 and 27.5? I have a surly Knard 26x3 on my kh 26 and it measures a Good 27.5 maybe a little more and it flies over everything
Strokin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-28, 01:44 PM   #40
wrotenberry
Unicyclist

I’m running a Maxxis High Roller 2.4 on my 27.5 and a Maxxis High Roller 2.5 on my 26.
wrotenberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
275, muni, versus