Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-05-10, 01:32 PM   #16
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
I was curious about the Nimbus Oregon and looked for more information but I can find none. Can't find it on the UDC site or the Nimbus site. Anybody have a link for more information?
You have to search back through the UDC blog about six months and you'll see Josh posing with the prototype (green, yellow, white).

It's a chromoly V frame, disc bake mounts, chromoly disc hub 127mm wide (standard hubs are 100mm), frame width and height will accomodate the biggest 26" and 29" tires (Dissent and Larry). The container was delayed, should be here this month, a dozen or so Oregons are on the container, most are already claimed. Extra hubs will be ariving later in the summer. There may be a 100mm disc hub in the works... This is all second hand info from talking with Josh.

Not everyone is going to clamor for a Larry outfitted muni, but given that you can run a 3" duro on the same rim as well as build up an extra 24 or 26 wheel and swap out on the same uni, this is a very sweet set up.

Quote:
I ended up getting the KH29 and I just signed up for a 37 mile road tour. It will be challenging, but it is fully supported and I am in good shape.
Get a Big Apple so you don't burn out the tread on your mui tire. Does the KH 29 come with the Ardent now? Great tire, been running mine happilly for the past couple months, best tire I have ridden on a 29er.

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2011-05-10 at 01:34 PM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 03:33 PM   #17
corbin
Treehouse Muni Rider

Send a message via AIM to corbin
I'm one of the people who doesn't like a 29'er. It is too slow for the road, and generally a little too big for offroad. The offroad that you can do on a 29'er can also be done on a 36er. My opinion is to get the KH36; eventually you may want to do longer rides, and the 36 is more suited for it than the 29er.

Also, I'm 5'6" (or a little bit under that) and I ride the KH 36 just fine. I did cut down the seat post tube slightly; maybe 1/2" or so.

corbin
corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 04:53 PM   #18
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin View Post
The offroad that you can do on a 29'er can also be done on a 36er.
Well sure, it can also probably be done on a giraffe or a BC wheel. The 29er can most definitely be used for hardcore muni, the gap between 29" and 36" is huge. I've done trails on my 29" that I would be scared shitless to do on my 36.
Dane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 05:38 PM   #19
davidp
Unicyclist

Since the OP has already made his decision I guess it's ok to go off on a tangent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane M View Post
I've done trails on my 29" that I would be scared shitless to do on my 36.
Well sure, but then there were probably sections of the same trails that would've been more fun on an even smaller wheel. I've yet to go on a ride that was perfect for a single wheel size over the whole length so I think it comes down to finding the best compromise for you and where you ride (though that's not to say that the compromise isn't part of the fun).

I rode a 24" (most muni) and 29" (light muni and mixed rides) for over a year but recently moved to a 26" (most muni) and 36" (light muni and mixed rides) because I found those wheel sizes to offer a better compromise (i.e. more fun for more parts of the ride) for my riding.
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 05:41 PM   #20
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
I've done trails on my 29" that I would be scared shitless to do on my 36.
I completely agree, maneuvering a 36er on tight terrain, often at low speeds or in a stall, that is total no-go where I ride a 29er. But if you have some nice flowing single track with minimal obstacles, a 36er could be fun.

I have owned a 36 for over a year and I rarely find a reason to take it out, so this begs the question of what I "need". For 75% of my riding, a 29er is fine, only when things get hairy do I need a fatter tire or a shorter wheel.

I find the 29er to be the most versatile for speed and fine control, maybe not great at either, but very usable for most single track and bearable for the flattter stuff.

I have a 26er guni being built, I did at one point contemplate a 29er guni, but decided that a 29er in high gear would not be useful in many places I ride. But, I may change my mind once the 26er shows up, could be that I have gotten overly used to the ride quality of my 29er.

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2011-05-10 at 05:46 PM.
Old 2011-05-10, 06:45 PM   #21
corbin
Treehouse Muni Rider

Send a message via AIM to corbin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane M View Post
Well sure, it can also probably be done on a giraffe or a BC wheel. The 29er can most definitely be used for hardcore muni, the gap between 29" and 36" is huge. I've done trails on my 29" that I would be scared shitless to do on my 36.
The same could be said about the gap between the 24" and the 29". If you are truly riding hardcore muni, then a 24 or 26 is probably a better size. It's my opinion, but I just don't see the 29'er as a useful size; it is too slow for the street, and too big for truly hardcore muni. And for "soft" offroad (or even mildly difficult offroad), a 36 can usually be used. This is just my opinion, and i'm also really comfortable on the 36.

If someone is looking at getting a 24, 29 and 36, it may better suit them to get a geared 24, which can simulate the 36, ride a lot of the same stuff as the 29er, and drop to low gear for the really tough muni. FWIW, I broke my 24" frame before my Schlumpf geared hub, so the hubs are quite durable (granted, I don't do big drops on it).

corbin
corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 07:06 PM   #22
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin View Post
The same could be said about the gap between the 24" and the 29".
I disagree completely, just from my experience. When I got my 29" (up from my 24"), I quickly learned how to ride it and was maneuvering around pedestrians and down trails in no time. But getting a 36, I still don't have my maneuvering skills down, and my mounting is still rubbish.

When I ride my 36, it feels like it has a mind of it's own, and it has so much momentum and drive. But my 24 and 29 can stop on a dime. As far as I am concerned, the 36 is in it's own category.

Maybe when I am more proficient with my 36 I will agree with you, but I don't believe so.
Old 2011-05-10, 07:18 PM   #23
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

A guni is the answer, but the cost is prohibitive for sure, I'm wondering what will happen to my beloved 29er when my 26 guni shows up

Anyone looking for a KH 29er
Old 2011-05-10, 07:20 PM   #24
Tucson Uni
Andy

Hardcore DH - 24
Light XC - 36, 29, 24/26 guni
Technical XC - 29, 24/26 guni

If you don't ride trails that fall into that 3rd category, you might not consider a 29 to be useful. Take a hardcore DH trail and remove some steepness and you have what I consider tech XC. For me those trails are best with a 29 or a 24/26 guni. I have found the 36 to be too unwieldy for that rolling, rocky terrain. It did take a while to move up from a 24 to 29 for not-too-steep technical riding. I am now covering a lot of that ground on my 24 guni also.
Old 2011-05-10, 07:21 PM   #25
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
A guni is the answer, but the cost is prohibitive for sure, I'm wondering what will happen to my beloved 29er when my 26 guni shows up

A few members have said they still keep their 29's because it's still a different riding experience.

a G26 is in my future somewhere, but I bet I will still keep the 29, even if just with a road tire and used for busy city riding.
Old 2011-05-10, 08:12 PM   #26
mbalmer
Is it June yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Im interested in a second 29er.

I agree with what Corbin was saying. Of course, what is hardcore to one maybe quite easy to another. It's all relative. As I have improved I can see using the 36 on some of the off road rides that I do, though I haven't tried it yet. I love the 29 for what I do. The 24 is now often too small. I'm too chicken to do technical stuff beyond some rocks, roots, and some bumpiness. Big, irregular, bumpy drops I will walk. Therefore my 29 is usable in most these situations. I never thought I would be able to ride my 36 uphills, but I'm improving enough to see it's possible.

I can't imagine riding my guni off road. It's still a bit iffy on the street. I have some elbow scarring to prove that. Time and practice will likely change that (I hope).
mbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 02:01 AM   #27
unigoat
Uni CX is a thing.

This is probably a moot point, but I'd vote KH36. There are a lot of unis around here and the 29 is one of the least used.

If you're not full on trying not to finish last in a bike race, a 24 is still a ton of fun. A 29er is different, but not as different as a 36.

For me, a 29er for longer than 10 miles or so on the road isn't much fun. The 36 OTOH regularly heads out for 25+ mile rides.

I know the focus isn't on road riding, but the 36 does that well and also is surprisingly capable off-road (I've found the tire to be the limiting factor around here). I've done several cyclocross races on it and one MTB race. 150s and 165s off road. The terrain around here is tough so it doesn't make a lot of sense for most of the races.

Both are good, but the 36 is significantly different than what you already have.
unigoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 02:35 AM   #28
uniShark
muni commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unigoat View Post
I know the focus isn't on road riding, but the 36 does that well and also is surprisingly capable off-road (I've found the tire to be the limiting factor around here). I've done several cyclocross races on it and one MTB race. 150s and 165s off road. The terrain around here is tough so it doesn't make a lot of sense for most of the races.
Unigoat, you might want to try the Coker Non-Skid tire. It's really quite good for 36er muni. See more comments here.

. . . and sorry about veering off topic, but hey, the OP already made his decision, so really the whole thread is now off topic, right?

pLs forgve anu typist imak win positing forum my fone.
uniShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 01:46 PM   #29
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

To the OP - glad you decided, and I'm sure you'll love your new KH29. (You would've fit fine on, and also loved, the KH36!)

One of the 29 over the 36 that hasn't been discussed in this thread is the travel-ability of the 29; it's much easier to take with you on trips where space in a premium, i.e. airplanes.

Ride on!

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 02:32 AM   #30
unigoat
Uni CX is a thing.

Time to tie the last 2 comments together (roughly):

Unishark- thanks for the Coker Tire suggestion. Around here we have a lot of mud. It seems like anything less than full knobs is a bit of problem. The Nightrider isn't bad when the trails are somewhat dry. However, most racing around here is during the rainy season. The other issue is the 36er gets used a lot on the road and I'm a bit too lazy to keep changing tires. Cranks swaps on the 36 are easy. Tires aren't.

Steve- good point. The 29er does pack a lot smaller for travel. It also works better for dodging the low hanging trees which frequent the trails around here. It is significantly smaller.

My $.02. I've got both and they're paid for. If I only had a 24 and wanted a truly different experience, I'd go 36. Keep in mind for about the price of a Schlumpf wheel you could have both a 29 and 36 fixed complete.

In the bike world, unis are extremely cheap. Try to buy a race worthy pro level bike for under $1k.
unigoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decide, kh29, kh36