Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

View Poll Results: Which tweener wheel size?
22 inch wheel 5 29.41%
27.5 inch wheel 4 23.53%
32 inch wheel 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-03-19, 11:53 PM   #1
Unisomniac
Late Night Unicyclist

Post Tweener Unis: 22 vs 27.5 vs 32

Which tweener size would you prefer to see enter the mainstream? What do you see as advantages or disadvantages of these tweener sizes. Discuss...
Old 2017-03-20, 12:17 AM   #2
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unisomniac View Post
Which tweener size would you prefer to see enter the mainstream? What do you see as advantages or disadvantages of these tweener sizes. Discuss...
What do you mean by enter the mainstream?

27.5's are very mainstream now aren't they? I thought for many top riders they were preferred.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 12:42 AM   #3
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

27.5 is already very much mainstream. Personally I don't see much need for it but the market (and the marketing juggernauts) have spoken.

32 is well on it's way becoming mainstream in the unicycle world, due to Nimbus adopting the wheel size and running with it. I say bravo, this was overdue, it's just too bad they didn't end up with the same BSD as my homebrew shrunken 36 version.

22 is not mainstream. Maybe it would be good for urban riding??? Not for me, but someone might want it.

Not a tweener size, but how about someone develop a pneumatic 48" wheel size. I would be happy to ride a 48" Nightrider.

Last edited by saskatchewanian; 2017-03-20 at 12:46 AM.
saskatchewanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 01:02 AM   #4
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
27.5 is already very much mainstream. Personally I don't see much need for it but the market (and the marketing juggernauts) have spoken.

32 is well on it's way becoming mainstream in the unicycle world, due to Nimbus adopting the wheel size and running with it. I say bravo, this was overdue, it's just too bad they didn't end up with the same BSD as my homebrew shrunken 36 version.

22 is not mainstream. Maybe it would be good for urban riding??? Not for me, but someone might want it.

Not a tweener size, but how about someone develop a pneumatic 48" wheel size. I would be happy to ride a 48" Nightrider.

22's are probably best for Hockey and perhaps some Urban. Unfortunately in terms of urban there are no higher volume tyres meaning you have to run a pretty high PSI or risk pinch flats. This results in very hard landings.

For Hockey there is the choice of about 3 tyres and 3 rims. Not a great range so you definitely can't create a unicycle built specifically for performance.

Last edited by Pinoclean; 2017-03-20 at 01:04 AM.
Old 2017-03-20, 01:07 AM   #5
Unisomniac
Late Night Unicyclist

27.5 is perhaps the most mainstream size at this point due in large part to the marketing push of the two wheel manufacturers. The advantage I see in the 27.5/650b size (and why I'm considering building a hatchet in that size ) is that it will allow me to have a unicycle equally adept at beach riding and light trails. (I hesitate to call my off road riding muni as there are no mountains here in Florida.)

One could argue that a 26" wheel is the better choice for that purpose because of greater number of options afforded by a more mainstream size. I don't have a counter argument, so I started this poll to find out what justification the community gives for supporting less common wheel sizes.
Old 2017-03-20, 07:23 AM   #6
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
27.5 is already very much mainstream. [...]

32 is well on it's way becoming mainstream in the unicycle world, due to Nimbus adopting the wheel size and running with it. [...]
Dito

27.5+ brought me the benefit of having the outer diameter of a 29er with the tire volume that was only available for 24/26ers before.

32 was necessary to close the biggest gap in wheel size we had: 29 -> 36 which was 7" while all other steps are about 2" each
02.06.2019: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 09:13 AM   #7
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

The Urban world has always been interested in a size between 20" and 24" for street, Jack Sebben currently being the only rider actually using 22" (as far as I know). I'd love to try it, faster runups for stairs etc. while still being able to trick it sounds promising, Street riders that focus on riding out of tricks cleanly might really like it.
Old 2017-03-20, 09:53 AM   #8
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Quote:
You mean 38"? It's a pretty big leap from 36 to 48 (that would call for several tweener unis ).

I would personally like anything bigger than 29 that I can get a studded tyre for.
Old 2017-03-20, 05:44 PM   #9
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
You mean 38"? It's a pretty big leap from 36 to 48 (that would call for several tweener unis ).
48" would be a tough sell because it would put a limit on how many potential customers can fit on it. Plus at that size, even a relatively skinny or "normal" sized tire + rim are going to carry a lot of weight. I say this based on my 35 years of experience with my 45" uni, which probably has a heavier rim/tire combination that we could get for pneumatic tires, but as you get bigger, things are still going to get more sluggish.

Based on the above, I still would like to vote for a 42" size. That would still work well with the addition of a Schlumpf!

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 07:06 PM   #10
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
...Based on the above, I still would like to vote for a 42" size. That would still work well with the addition of a Schlumpf!
42 can be your tweener size

At my pretty normal proportions at 5'10" I could use a 52" wheel in my Nimbus Nightfox frame. Solutions for short people translate well into solutions for people who want bigger wheels

UniMyra: you can stud any tire you like, there are multiple DIY methods.
Old 2017-03-21, 05:12 PM   #11
Spinningwoman
Finally freemounting unicyclist

I'd like to try a 22". The difference between the 20" and 24" is huge for me - I'm short at 5' and light at 120lbs and I still find it a struggle just to take charge of my 24" - mounting it is hard work not just to get up onto the pedals but to get it into motion, and it is much harder to manoeuvre. Whereas I can hop up onto the 20" pretty consistently and turn easily etc etc but it is too little and squirly to want to do distance on it. A 22 might be the happy medium.
Old 2017-03-23, 12:46 AM   #12
Unisomniac
Late Night Unicyclist

Continuing forward with this discussion:
What kind of rim and tire selection would you like to see come to market for each tweener size. 32x4 would be a steamroller
Old 2017-03-23, 01:50 AM   #13
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unisomniac View Post
Continuing forward with this discussion:
What kind of rim and tire selection would you like to see come to market for each tweener size. 32x4 would be a steamroller
A racing BMX tyre/rim for the 22. Lighter, just lighter than what is currently available.

A trials 22" tyre and rim. Wider Rim, THicker sidewall tyre made for hops.
Old 2017-03-23, 02:18 AM   #14
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

I would like a more roadable 32 (and 36, and 42/48). Possibly in the 1.75 to 2.0 range and a 30ish mm wide deep section rim to go with it.

Oh and a Todd Jr. for the current 32" rim would be just fine.
Old 2017-03-29, 05:27 PM   #15
cristianMN
Unicyclist

I whould like a 43 inch with 1.5-1.75 tire
cristianMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
22", 27.5", 275, 32", tweener, unis