Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-05-18, 03:34 AM   #931
Engineer on a Unicycle
Learning to say "on your left"

Okay, managed a bit over 5 miles in one sitting trying (and only slightly failing) to keep up with a social bicycle group.

- those "gear" things are unfair... I'm spinning for a personal record and their feet are hardly moving!

- I need to mount a water bottle where I can reach it. Almost considered taking off my pack while riding once I'd fallen behind, but just toughed it out without - if I actually dismounted I would have lost sight of them.
Old 2017-05-18, 05:59 AM   #932
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

How about a camlebak (or similar from other brands), instead of a water bottle? You can drink any time during the ride. Used it on Mtb and use it on Muni now. Would not go for a longer ride without it.
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-18, 11:45 AM   #933
crazyunicyclerNJ
uni till death

Send a message via AIM to crazyunicyclerNJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunstrasen View Post
How about a camlebak (or similar from other brands), instead of a water bottle? You can drink any time during the ride. Used it on Mtb and use it on Muni now. Would not go for a longer ride without it.
Getting one of them myself if I have time tonight. I have come to the realization, I need one.
crazyunicyclerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-18, 11:57 AM   #934
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer on a Unicycle View Post
- I need to mount a water bottle where I can reach it.
I have two 0.75 liter bottles under my saddle, so 1.5 liters of water, easy to reach and it looks just like a jetpack from behind

bottle cages: 2x Elite Custom Race Soft touch
adapter: M-Wave bottle cage adapter 1 to 2
clamps: KCNC bottle cage clamps 31.6mm (ground to 31.8mm)

I don't feel them while riding. A backpack would disturb me more.
03.06.2018: Europamarathon

Last edited by Eric aus Chemnitz; 2017-05-18 at 12:01 PM.
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-18, 01:39 PM   #935
crazyunicyclerNJ
uni till death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
I have two 0.75 liter bottles under my saddle, so 1.5 liters of water, easy to reach and it looks just like a jetpack from behind

bottle cages: 2x Elite Custom Race Soft touch
adapter: M-Wave bottle cage adapter 1 to 2
clamps: KCNC bottle cage clamps 31.6mm (ground to 31.8mm)

I don't feel them while riding. A backpack would disturb me more.
I wish I could put a good bottle holder on my hatchet
Old 2017-05-18, 02:39 PM   #936
Engineer on a Unicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyunicyclerNJ View Post
I wish I could put a good bottle holder on my hatchet
Maybe some kind of drop-in basket cage bent from aluminum strips, attached to an inverted "U" base that could be wired tie to the the displaced fork crown, and then a brace/stay going forward to the seat post at the top?

I broke my plastic fender last night when the uni rolled out of a mud patch without me, and eventually impacted backwards on the point of it, so now thinking about more substantial replacements potentially with a tiny bit of storage space on top. I'm not actually convinced the fender that was on there when I bought it was doing anything, as the "throw lines" it intercepted would only seem to be the underside of the saddle.

Last edited by Engineer on a Unicycle; 2017-05-18 at 02:40 PM.
Engineer on a Unicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-18, 07:01 PM   #937
crazyunicyclerNJ
uni till death

Quote:
Maybe some kind of drop-in basket cage bent from aluminum strips, attached to an inverted "U" base that could be wired tie to the the displaced fork crown, and then a brace/stay going forward to the seat post at the top?

I broke my plastic fender last night when the uni rolled out of a mud patch without me, and eventually impacted backwards on the point of it, so now thinking about more substantial replacements potentially with a tiny bit of storage space on top. I'm not actually convinced the fender that was on there when I bought it was doing anything, as the "throw lines" it intercepted would only seem to be the underside of the saddle.
I do have a 3d printer. and you are local enough I am sure we can figure something out if you need it.

Last edited by crazyunicyclerNJ; 2017-05-18 at 07:02 PM.
Old 2017-05-18, 07:52 PM   #938
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
I have two 0.75 liter bottles under my saddle ...
I added more pics in this thread: http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthr...88#post1684188
03.06.2018: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-18, 08:09 PM   #939
Engineer on a Unicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyunicyclerNJ View Post
I do have a 3d printer. and you are local enough I am sure we can figure something out if you need it.
I do too... what I don't have since the move to the city is a machine shop :-(

Remounting the existing fender shouldn't be too hard, but I'm kind of interested to try to do something better.
Old 2017-05-19, 03:16 AM   #940
crazyunicyclerNJ
uni till death

Quote:
I do too... what I don't have since the move to the city is a machine shop :-(

Remounting the existing fender shouldn't be too hard, but I'm kind of interested to try to do something better.
I have access to a machine shop with 9 CNC's and all the manual working. LMK what you need.
Old 2017-05-22, 03:37 PM   #941
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Quote:
Wow! What saddle? With a handle or without?

Was noticing last week when I finally got out of the city onto a trail that went on for miles without traffic infrastructure interruptions that I was no longer getting implicit saddle breaks and had to start choosing them. Don't think I've yet done more than 2-3 miles without dismounting for one reason or another.
Sorry for the late reply here! for my 11 mile nonstop ride, I was on a 36" UDC Titan with 125mm cranks, a KH Freeride saddle, and a KH T-bar set pretty close to my saddle (I'm still getting used to it). I'm still learning to put weight on the handle to relieve the saddle pressure, but I have found that if i stand up and pedal for 10-20 revs every couple miles, it gets the blood flowing and relieves numbness.
Old 2017-05-22, 04:52 PM   #942
Engineer on a Unicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolojas View Post
Sorry for the late reply here! for my 11 mile nonstop ride, I was on a 36" UDC Titan with 125mm cranks, a KH Freeride saddle, and a KH T-bar set pretty close to my saddle (I'm still getting used to it). I'm still learning to put weight on the handle to relieve the saddle pressure, but I have found that if i stand up and pedal for 10-20 revs every couple miles, it gets the blood flowing and relieves numbness.
Thanks! Same unicycle and cranks, different saddle. I actually have a KH bar, but since UDC switched to a different base for the Nimbus Gel, the KH kit won't fit it. Did a shorter ride on Saturday on my zero saddle with bar on the 26er, trying to decide if I want to cut down the post to try that on the 36er, decided for the present not to. But still wonder a bit about buying some aluminum plate and angle and making similar mounting parts to fit the newer UDC base.
Old 2017-05-31, 03:21 AM   #943
Universal Unicorn
World's slowest learner

Hi everyone, I'm back! I haven't been here in a very long time because...I guess because unicycling is so hard.

Sorry if this is a long story, and I hope it belongs here.

I learned to ride a little bit ten years ago and then lost/forgot almost all of the skill over the winter (with no thanks to an ill-timed equipment failure). All efforts to relearn failed. Year after year, I tried and tried, and made no progress. It was about as frustrating as anything.

Last October, I joined a club and got a bit of help from them and then bought a new uni and a couple of months ago I got back to where I had been before the Great Unicycling Skill Loss. The only problem was that I tended to forget it all again by the next practice and I'd spend the whole time just trying to go anywhere at all. But lately I have been going to a great practice place in a nearby park and have been timing how long it takes me to "get it back."

I define "getting it back" or riding comfortably as going at least ten pedal strokes (and in this practice place I have room for nearly 20 and that becomes easy once I get to 10).

Best time before today was about 3 minutes.

Today I wanted to go practice after work but my friend called and said she was coming over in 45 minutes. That didn't give me much time, but I figured I could go over to the park, practice for 20 minutes and get back. I went there, got on, fell off right away before even trying to ride (weird!) and then got on again and tried to ride and got it on the first try! I rode about 50 feet just like that!
Universal Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-31, 07:55 PM   #944
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Today I got a unicycle delivered to me by helicopter.
Old 2017-05-31, 08:10 PM   #945
crazyunicyclerNJ
uni till death

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
Today I got a unicycle delivered to me by helicopter.
Can't beat that!

Today I got my new to me KH 36er and i have other obligations, and won't get to ride more than a lap of the parking lot.

Tags
brag, landed, thread, today, tricks, version 2