Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 2020-01-29, 11:01 AM   #2341
Quax1974
Wobbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post

Myths
The more experience I’m building the more I agree.
Weight in seat and sit up straight is something that absolute beginners cannot do / should not aspire.
Yet it is still very common advice for people learning to ride.

Just now on FB unicycle chat: “ stay on top, hips forwards, shoulders back“
Good advice to crack the back of the beginners skull...

On level ground I can ride (without accelerating) with the seat post vertical or even tilted forward by sitting like that.
But it is really not a posture I’d recommend a beginner to be in...

There is also an example of a gentleman trying for three years, still clinging to the fence. I suggested the fence is exactly the problem...
Quax1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-29, 12:02 PM   #2342
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quax1974 View Post
Just now on FB unicycle chat: “ stay on top, hips forwards, shoulders back“
Good advice to crack the back of the beginners skull...
I saw that one and thought similarly.
Old 2020-01-29, 02:25 PM   #2343
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Could you clarify grass for me (us)?
It is thick, plush grass. A soccer field. Over-watered so the ground under the grass isn't too firm. There is a fairly consistent amount of resistance on this surface. I wish the riders could see my neighborhood. Unicycle heaven. Almost nobody uses the basketball court next to the field. And that's just the city park. There are at least six parks within 1/2 mile of my house. I have very little reason to put my unicycle into a car.

OTM, Thanks for posting a more clearly thought out version of my method. Sounds like you have more experience teaching beginners, and that you are getting quick results on multiple occasions. You were a little bit quiet on the forum for a while.

I agree with OTM. It's hard / wrong / dangerous to expect beginners to put weight in the seat. The conventional wisdom is that a higher seat gets more weight in the seat. But a higher seat also promotes more of a standing posture. I tried riding on my neighbor's uni with its much-lower saddle. Sitting lower actually forced me to commit to putting weight in the seat. I wonder if that is also the case with beginners.

I forgot to mention one important factor in my neighbor's success. He was riding a 20". There is a new rider on the forum, scotty watty. He is starting on a 29". Scotty, if you're reading this, keep it up. It's going to take you somewhat longer to learn on a 29", but if you keep working, you'll get there. I started on a 24". I am pretty sure I would have learned faster on a 20". That doesn't really matter any more. The important thing was that I eventually bought a 20" and started learning skills on it.

Pierrox, I will think about making a video. Seems like I need a test subject who's never touched a unicycle.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-29, 08:31 PM   #2344
pierrox
Unicyclist

Defo on the video!
And I didn't think about a slight incline on the grass, that makes sense too!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-29, 11:10 PM   #2345
Alucard
Unicyclist

Whenever I get a new unicycle I take it to the field where hubby flies his model airplanes. There is this one spot on the pit lane with a little slope that it just right to get me started. I know if I fall off or bodge my freemounts then landing on grass won’t hurt too much. Gives me a bit more confidence. Also, I ride slower on grass because there is more effort needed to pedal so I actually feel more in control than maybe when I’m on tarmac.

( It’s past my bedtime and I’m tired, my phone autocorrected ‘unicycle’ to ‘unicorn’ and I nearly posted it like that )
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journal, learning