Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2007-05-15, 09:14 PM   #46
greencollar
Unicyclist

Im sorry guys...I couldnt help myself on this one...thought it was too funny...we had one of these for Cross Country back in the day.
http://www.shop.com/op/~INCHES_MEASU...0?sourceid=298

Last edited by greencollar; 2007-05-15 at 09:15 PM.
greencollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 09:51 PM   #47
joemarshall
dumb blonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo
...and the battery lasts just about indefinitely...
Yeah, 8 hour battery life on some of these gpses is only one ride. Which means that unless you're obsessive about charging them, they're not so good as a record of all your riding in the way a cycle computer is.

Joe
joemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 10:07 PM   #48
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Here's my new Forerunner 205! I love it!
Attached Images

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 10:13 PM   #49
Chexjc
GO RIGHT!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Chexjc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict
Here's my new Forerunner 205! I love it!
Can you travel through time with it?

IMO, it looks ridiculous. But if you like it, thats all that counts.

Chexjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 10:17 PM   #50
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexjc
Can you travel through time with it?

IMO, it looks ridiculous. But if you like it, thats all that counts.
Haha, yes I can! As for "rediculous", I don't agree; I think it's uber-cool! Plus I can read everything at a glance, from calories burned, elevation, present, average and max speed, distance, etc! It even keeps me abreast of daily lotto and racetrack info, and it's a 2-way radio and access to the web, email and HBO! aha, jk!...It's loaded with tons of features and goes 10 hours on a charge! Also hooks up to my laptop for lots of other stuff.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2007-05-15 at 10:26 PM.
Old 2007-05-16, 12:12 AM   #51
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Haha, yes I can! As for "rediculous", I don't agree; I think it's uber-cool! Plus I can read everything at a glance, from calories burned, elevation, present, average and max speed, distance, etc! It even keeps me abreast of daily lotto and racetrack info, and it's a 2-way radio and access to the web, email and HBO! aha, jk!...It's loaded with tons of features and goes 10 hours on a charge! Also hooks up to my laptop for lots of other stuff.
It's still a bit bulky, but nothing like the earlier 101/201 model. Hopefully they'll make them even smaller in the future - like regular watch size.

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 01:38 AM   #52
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo
It's still a bit bulky, but nothing like the earlier 101/201 model. Hopefully they'll make them even smaller in the future - like regular watch size.
I think that would be too small. I like the display size of the 205; it doesn't *feel* bulky at all. Anything smaller and you'd have to squint to read it! In fact, I just got back from my first muni ride using it and it was fantastic! I kept glancing at it and I had FOUR separate fields of real-time info: speed, time, distance and stop watch. Ride stats: 24.35 minutes ride time, max speed: 8.5 mph, total distance covered: 2.4 miles. Tomorow it's the Fullerton loop!

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2007-05-16 at 01:39 AM.
Old 2007-05-16, 03:23 AM   #53
Hugh
"Uni"fied!

I really like my Forerunner 305. Lately I have been uploading my ride info to motionbased.com. For instance, my muni ride last Saturday is here.

I also downloaded SportTracks which lets you associate the ride data with a specific piece of equipment (i.e. unicycle). This allows it to tell you the total mileage accumulated over all of your rides.

For awhile, I just got some string and hung the unit around my neck. However, I've started wearing it on my wrist now that my riding is getting a bit more agressive.
"Uni"fied
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 03:33 AM   #54
Chexjc
GO RIGHT!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Chexjc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
I really like my Forerunner 305. Lately I have been uploading my ride info to motionbased.com. For instance, my muni ride last Saturday is here.
Thats pretty cool How come it says your average heart rate was 174bpm?

Chexjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 04:51 AM   #55
Hugh
"Uni"fied!

Because I am way out of shape - I guess. I've actually talked to my doctor about it and he did an EKG and didn't see anything wrong. So, I'm hoping just getting out and doing more muni will get me in better shape and help my heart rate settle down. If not, you may be reading about the guy who died riding muni.
"Uni"fied
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 01:11 PM   #56
AscenXion
From Unkown to God

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemarshall
Yeah, 8 hour battery life on some of these gpses is only one ride. Which means that unless you're obsessive about charging them, they're not so good as a record of all your riding in the way a cycle computer is.

Joe

Ehh..you have a cell phone, right? You charge that every night, right? There's no difference. You just take it off, and plug it in at night...end of story. If you're using one that takes batteries, you get rechargeable batteries, and it's only SLIGHTLY more of a hassle to take the batteries out, and charge them everynight.

As long as it lasts a full day, there is no reason to complain about battery life. If you're going camping for a week, then just buy a simple dyno power generator, and use that to charge it.

And the forerunner 101 may be SLIGHTLY older technology, but it's not like their outdated. They are still being made and sold. And for the incredible versatility, they are much more of a deal than a cyclometer. In my MOST humble of opinions.

SingleTrak [Tą]
Order Of One [Oł]
MuNi:To Nothingness [ムニ]

You've shown your true face, AscenXion, and revealed that only an exclusive
order of people can exist in your world where you are an intolerant God.
AscenXion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 02:57 PM   #57
kington99
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to kington99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AscenXion
Ehh..you have a cell phone, right? You charge that every night, right? There's no difference. You just take it off, and plug it in at night...end of story.
I think the thing is that you don't use your GPS every day so you don't get in to a routine of charging it, then you want it and it's flat. The mobile you always know you're going to want to the next day. And it's still hassle, something else to think about, another charger.

- what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -

Last edited by kington99; 2007-05-16 at 02:57 PM.
kington99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 03:13 PM   #58
AscenXion
From Unkown to God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kington99
I think the thing is that you don't use your GPS every day so you don't get in to a routine of charging it, then you want it and it's flat. The mobile you always know you're going to want to the next day. And it's still hassle, something else to think about, another charger.

No you don't use it everyday, but on the day that you do use it, you should come home and plug it in. Simple as that. Put away your uni, put away your gear, plug in your gps. It's just one more step in a ritual that you already do. And what's your point about another charger...all the plugs in your house full up?

SingleTrak [Tą]
Order Of One [Oł]

Old 2007-05-16, 09:50 PM   #59
joemarshall
dumb blonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by AscenXion
Ehh..you have a cell phone, right? You charge that every night, right? There's no difference. You just take it off, and plug it in at night...end of story. If you're using one that takes batteries, you get rechargeable batteries, and it's only SLIGHTLY more of a hassle to take the batteries out, and charge them everynight.
No, I deliberately have a not so high tech phone that lasts almost a week without charging.

Like, a lot of weeks, I ride maybe 12 times, maybe more, some for fun, some for getting around. It's bad enough having to remember to charge my lights (once a week), let alone having to charge my cycle computer every day, upload the data to the PC etc, remember to turn it on at the start of a ride. The cycle computer is just there, so it captures every ride, whenever you do it.

Having said all this, I've gone ultra low-tech nowadays on my unicycles, my bike has a cycle computer, cos it's fun to know that you're going at 100km/h, but my unicycles I just go riding.

Joe
joemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 03:25 AM   #60
AscenXion
From Unkown to God

Quote:

SON OF A @$%%$^!!!!!

I just took like 15 minutes writing out a really detailed review of the new Forerunner 205 that I got....then I pressed the wrong button, and poof...all gone...That just totally burns my biscuits...

Well...suffice it to say, it's very cool. I recommend it...I recommend using it for more than just speed/distance though. You can GeoCache with it quite well and easily. And you can plug it into you laptop and use navigation software to get turn-by-turn directions like a TomTom or similar. That's something that I don't see anybody talking about, and it pays for more than half of this cool toy for just that functionality.

So...really sucks losing all that info, but, oh well, nobody prolly cares anywho...so if anybody does, ask, and I or Terry will letcha know just how cool this thing is.

grrrr.....stupid buttons.

SingleTrak [Tą]
Order Of One [Oł]

Tags
cyclometers, unicycling