Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-12-23, 06:06 PM   #1
TMason
Todd Mason

Antique Unicycle

I was super excited to find an antique unicycle on Craigslist last night that now can be an additional item to gather dust on my drafting table at the office! The seller couldn't figure out why I was willing to drive a couple hours at 8 pm to get it. I can only think he must be b*ke guy.

The man said it was his grandfather's but didn't know anything else about it. It has a wooden rim and tubular tire. With three missing spokes the rim has a big wow in it but makes for a great conversation piece. It should have been thrown out years ago so therein lies the lesson...Don't throw out your broken unicycles!!
Attached Images

TMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-23, 07:28 PM   #2
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Wow that's cool! Wish you had more info on when it was made.

How big is the wheel?

I did a little research earlier this year on unicyclists from 1880's - 1925 and found a few interesting photos and drawings.

Here's one from Salt Lake City.

Last edited by Vertigo; 2017-12-23 at 07:30 PM.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-23, 08:02 PM   #3
TMason
Todd Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
How big is the wheel?
"United States Tire Company" 26"

Thank you for posting the article.
Attached Images

Old 2017-12-23, 08:30 PM   #4
JimT
Unicyclist

Todd,
That is quite a unicycle. I saw that on CL also but the photos were not as good as yours and I did not realize that it had a wood rim. I bet there are not many of those that survived.

PS, I think you are too young to have actually used the slide rule in your photo. In my first couple years of college a slide rule was our only "calculator".

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-23, 08:36 PM   #5
TMason
Todd Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
PS, I think you are too young to have actually used the slide rule in your photo. In my first couple years of college a slide rule was our only "calculator".

Jim
Jim,

I only missed the slide rule by a couple years but I attribute that rule for getting me a 4.0 in Engineering Statics. The professor emeritus, Billy Hartz, would always turn from the board as he was doing calculations and ask if anyone had a slide rule. After a trip to the second hand store, there was one student in the front row who had one indeed!

Todd
Old 2017-12-24, 12:25 AM   #6
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

You call that a sliderule?
Attached Images

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-27, 04:01 AM   #7
Kwikkash
Unicyclist

old unicycle

Name:  IMG_1982.JPG
Views: 338
Size:  81.9 KB
this is an old uni I found on Ebay several years ago. I have it hanging on the wall at work. Its interesting. Jeff C
Kwikkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-27, 06:33 AM   #8
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkash View Post
Attachment 70829
this is an old uni I found on Ebay several years ago. I have it hanging on the wall at work. Its interesting. Jeff C
Your unicycle makes a good wall hanger, there should be a story there.

Because of the curved shape of the fork and fender it is a tricycle wheel and fork that someone put a saddle on. Tricycle wheels are a little light weight for a unicycle but they can work for a while. My first unicycle that I learned to ride on nearly 60 years ago was one I made out of a tricycle wheel. I only used the wheel and not the fork, I made the fork out of some scrap metal and a pipe I found on the farm. It held together long enough for me to learn to ride it but I think the hard rubber tire was the first thing to fail.

Jim
Old 2017-12-27, 10:20 AM   #9
Kwikkash
Unicyclist

old unicycle

Yes, Murray. I found similar style tricycles from Murray they claimed were from the 1950's. I love that style of fender. I have no history on this build. Was a random ebay purchase. I would be curious when it would have been assembled as a uni, and Why. Makes Great Wall art. Gets plenty of attention. The seat is very interesting also. Fun to Look at. Jeff C
Kwikkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-29, 04:32 AM   #10
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMason View Post
It should have been thrown out years ago so therein lies the lesson...Don't throw out your broken unicycles!!
YEEESSSSSS!!!

Thank you for that validation. I should print your quote and post it on the wall in the garage (where the 40+ unicycles are). Especially the piece-of-crap Troxel unicycle I started with in 1976, with stripped-out bearing screw, hard plastic tire and otherwise tricycle parts.

BTW I love your drafting table/work area. Very cool!
Quote:
I bet there are not many of those that survived.
It's very likely the only one, as it is most likely a one-off (hand made). I also love the look of that "decomposed" tire. Definitely makes it a cool piece of wall art. And the Messinger seat! Messinger made tons of unicycle seats over the years, including the ones on the older (1967-83) Schwinns.
Quote:
Tricycle wheels are a little light weight for a unicycle but they can work for a while.
True. My old Troxel's weak spot was the stupid idea of a single bolt on each side to hold the "bearing holders" to the fork. In engineering speak, a single bolt = a hinge. The "bearing holder" (in quotes because the thing just had nylon bushings) would twist at the bolt, making the tire come to a dead stop against the side of the fork.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkash View Post
I would be curious when it would have been assembled as a uni, and Why.
Probably any time after it finished its role as a tricycle; there were few if any unicycles on the market at the time. Why? Possibly just to make something funny out of some old bike/trike parts, but more likely someone wanted to try riding a unicycle. That seat may have been from the original trike, but would have been difficult for unicycling. The rest of it is pretty similar to my Troxel from the 70s, but I imagine it was more solidly built. You should be able to detect if someone tried to learn to ride on it; if they did, the pedals would show lots of wear on their ends, as would the seat.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2017-12-29 at 04:33 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-29, 06:40 AM   #11
JimT
Unicyclist

Here is another old one found online. Apparently was/is(?) for sale at a Kansas City antique dealer. Don't know if it sold. It doesn't look too bad except the peddle cranks do not appear to be 180° apart. I've read that when old wood rims fail they break into a bunch of sharp slivers so trying to ride it may not paint a pretty picture.

Jim
Old 2017-12-29, 04:02 PM   #12
JimT
Unicyclist

Here is a better photo of this antique unicycle. I also found out it is still available and the cost is $1595.00. Considerably more then TMason paid for his fine antique but given how rare they are, maybe a fair price.

Jim
Old 2017-12-30, 12:54 AM   #13
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Wow, only $1595.00! Can't believe it hasn't been picked up already! I think I'd get a Schlumpf hub instead. But I do like red unicycles...

Misaligned cranks aren't too uncommon on older, cotter pin unicycles. If you put both pins in facing the same direction, you tend to end up with a similar angle.

Looking at that uni, I get the impression that the fork may have originally been raked (some evidence of it being straightened). Also the seat looks like it may have been bent upward in front to create a little more control for the rider.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-30, 03:27 AM   #14
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Misaligned cranks aren't too uncommon on older, cotter pin unicycles. If you put both pins in facing the same direction, you tend to end up with a similar angle.
When I was a kid we all had ancient hand-me-down bicycles with cotter pins. They often developed several degrees of "slop".

They were always a wholly inappropriate technology for the job of transferring torque from crank to axle. I think they originally came from holding on wagon wheels where the only forces were axial.

I remember the sense of relief first time I saw a cotterless crank on a bicycle.
Old 2018-02-11, 12:14 AM   #15
Unicyclist Lou
Unicyclist

Custom Unicycle

A couple years ago I saw a tricycle that was converted to a unicycle like the one above and it inspire to make my own.
Attached Images

Unicyclist Lou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antique, unicycle