Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-02-22, 01:42 AM   #16
idiorythmic
Oddistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict
Haha maybe we can get them to go "advocate peace and love" in, say, Red China, Iran, South Korea, Venezuela and Cuba for starters? Oh no wait...they'll be murdered...

No doubt! And let's not forget that some advocates for peace were assassinated right here, in the sixties, presumably by people who were born in the 40s or 30s. (what that means I fail to fathom)

But I'm distracted by something else in that video: the image of the Princess Phone. I remember the big boxy dial phones everyone had. I really miss them.

I WANT MINE BACK!

Last edited by idiorythmic; 2008-02-22 at 01:43 AM.
idiorythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 01:45 AM   #17
MuniAddict
Not "2" Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiorythmic
No doubt! And let's not forget that some advocates for peace were assassinated right here, in the sixties, presumably by people who were born in the 40s or 30s. (what that means I fail to fathom)

But I'm distracted by something else in that video: the image of the Princess Phone. I remember the big boxy dial phones everyone had. I really miss them.

I WANT MINE BACK!
Swanson TV dinners! "Get Smart!" 1966 Stingray (Both bike & car!) Cowboy boots, Tie dye, Summer of love! BEatles!!!!!!! Oh, and saying "it's cool" when entering the school bathroom so they know you're not a "narc!"

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 02:27 AM   #18
Nimbusnut
Unicyclist

Peter Max for President! signed, The black light party
Nimbusnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 07:12 AM   #19
pkittle
NorCal Riding Project

I was born in '63, so am more of a 70s than 60s generation kid ...

I liked some of this, but found the general "back then, we didn't have problems" tone absurd. I think if you interviewed some parents raising kids during the 60s (my dad, for instance) and asked them if they thought everything back then was fine, or if they worried about what tv shows and pop music were doing to society, they'd say things that echo what people say now. It's a loop; we look back at our own past as though it was idyllic, despite the many flaws that we recognized when we were actually living in that time period. In 40 years, today's kids will think of the innocent days of Halo 3, Dexter, and AVP movies, and decry whatever's currently popular as debased and the certain symbol of the end of civilization as we know it.
--Billy Bragg

==========================
pkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 09:09 AM   #20
kington99
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to kington99
Quote:
Btw, who's making all the ultra-violent VIDEO games that glorify murder and cop killing? 50 year olds? Haha no way! It's the 20 and 30 somethings doing that.

well let's see, the MD of rockstar games, responsible for the GTA series, is 53. Presumably the people who run the banks that finance them, run the shops that sell them and the PR companies that advertise them are also of similar age.

- what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
kington99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 01:19 PM   #21
mattsmith
addicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo
Free maps and oil checks from the service guy who filled up your car for you.
A couple of my local petrol stations did free oil checks and filled the tank for you until about 5 years ago. I was pretty upset when they both went out of business. It felt kinda classy to have the tank filled without leaving the car.

I think it's the kind of practice that should come back into fashion. If I have to pay £1+ per litre then I want some better service into the bargain.
Old 2008-02-22, 02:43 PM   #22
Nimbusnut
Unicyclist

Ya, there are always problems with every decade because people are involved, and there will always be problems in every decade to come.... As long as people are involved. It's nice though to think of the good stuff whether it was the 50's, 60's, 70's or whatever. Heck, even the age of the hair bands had it's moments. The 60's though were really a fascinating time in a lot of ways. It is too easy to be cynical even if it's with good reason. If a person knew that we would destroy ourselves as a species in the next 20 years would that mean we should stop enjoying ourselves? Melt down all the unis, and sit around waiting?
Old 2008-02-22, 05:49 PM   #23
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Quote:
Haha maybe we can get them to go "advocate peace and love" in, say, Red China, Iran, South Korea, Venezuela and Cuba for starters? Oh no wait...they'll be murdered by those governments. Better if they just do what they usually do and go on foreign soil to trash America.
Oh oh ... why romanticize an epoch in either way (good or bad)? each generation had some excessive landmarks but though some "peace and love" people were romantic (even unrealistic in the way they lived it) it remains that many things that you and you and you and everyone of you can do .... you owe it to cultural trends that emerged at that time.
It amuses me to see that president Sarkozy of France demonizes "68" and is happy to profit from things that emerged then: equal opportunity, women lib (in its best acception), gay acceptance, planned parenthood ,and so on ....
in international politics some romantic view of red china for example were fakeries, but Martin Luther King or Nelson Mandela showed also that dreams can lead to important changes in the real world.
Even if you look closely at things such as acceptable attitudes in the army you can discover that they stem from problems that were discussed then!

note : I was 20 in 1968 and I fully accept the "68er" tag. I have evolved but do not think I have betrayed my ideals.

Last edited by wobbling bear; 2008-02-22 at 05:52 PM.
wobbling bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 06:26 PM   #24
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Fantastic decade, the 1960s.

In America, the Jim Crow Laws ended, and Americans in many states could for the first time choose to marry people from different races without fear of imprisonment. How progressive.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (in my life time) ended racial segregation in cinemas and restaurants - at least in law if not necessarily in practice.

1962, the Cuban missile crisis had the whole world gripped with terror at the thought of imminent nuclear holocaust.

A popular president of the USA was assassinated (JFK).

In 1961, the disastrous Bay of Pigs battle occurred. Lots of people were killed trying to oust Fidel Castro, who in fact survived unscathed until stepping down voluntarily, er... in 2008, a mere 47 years later.

Over here, Labour won power under Harold Wilson with a tiny majority and limped on for a couple of years before having to go back to the polls and securing a bigger majority. They were grim times.

Meanwhile, the Vietnam War raged for the entire decade. I don't think anyone thinks that was a good thing.

It was certainly not a better time than now. Same sh*t differnt day.

I remember terraced houses with damp outside toilets, damp inside walls, and tenants having few rights and no power to do anything about it.

On the other hand, there were the Rolling Stones, the Dave Clark Five, and mini skirts, so it wasn't all bad. I was too young to appreciate the mini skirts at the time.
Old 2008-02-22, 06:41 PM   #25
Nimbusnut
Unicyclist

Yup, yup. Making a sweeping description is like saying everyone was the same, whether they were in the Hells Angles or a Barber Shop Quartet. Hey, didn't the H.A's have barber shop quartets? If you're a 1%er, please don't kill me.

Tags
awesome, retrospective, totally