Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-07-01, 12:09 AM   #16
Paochow
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
On the other hand, isn't 30psi a lot in a 3.0" tire?
My thoughts exactly- I don't have a lot of 29+ time, but I rarely ran my 29er (2.4") tires above 25psi. I would think a 29X3.0 would be best in the 15-20psi range.
Paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-01, 08:45 AM   #17
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

It depends on the tire, especially the range written on the tire's side.

For example 26/29 x 2.35/2.50 road tires (like maxxis hokworm, schwalbe super moto, big apple) often have a max psi of about 55/65 PSI.
30 PSI is considered a low PSI for those tires.

I have the 26x3 surly knard and the max recommended PSI for riding is 30 PSI and it is what you wanna put if you ride long asphalt roads/bike paths/sidewalks.
It will reduce the big rolling resistance of those +/fat tires.

When I want to ride on trails and technical dh, I will put between 15 and 25 PSI.

At 15 PSI the 3" knard is very funny to ride, it flexes a lot, it rolls over everything, but at the end you have no legs anymore.
Especially when you ride in high gear on a geared unicycle.

So 30 PSI is still ok, it still has enough flexibility to handle very uneven floors, but if there is a lot of mud, sand or gravels, lower PSI will do the job better.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-08, 06:59 PM   #18
leadpan
Hatchet man

It's been over a year and my 29" Hatchet is my go to uni.
I luv it!
leadpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-10, 03:26 AM   #19
crazyunicyclerNJ
uni till death

Send a message via AIM to crazyunicyclerNJ
I love my 29er I have had it since December, I also have the 26x5 rim and tire and love that in the snow I keep the 29x3 on the rest of the year.
crazyunicyclerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-02, 04:50 AM   #20
Wennn
Unicyclist

New cranks?

The hatchet seems to be back in stock in the UK site, with some 'Nimbus 'VCX' ISIS Cranks'. What are these, and are they lighter/stronger than the venture2s?
Wennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-02, 02:37 PM   #21
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wennn View Post
The hatchet seems to be back in stock in the UK site, with some 'Nimbus 'VCX' ISIS Cranks'. What are these, and are they lighter/stronger than the venture2s?
I looked at the unicycle.com descriptions. The 138 length set weighs 376 grams. Also, Venture 2s in 138 length weigh 376 grams. From the picture, the edges of the VCX look a little more rounded off. As I tend to hug the cranks, this has been an issue for me and the Ventures. Both the VCX and Venture 2 are nearly zero-Q. Both are made from the same 7075 aluminum, and the price is the same.

Looks like a cosmetic overhaul, maybe the result of Venture2s getting bad-mouthed on the forums.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-08, 04:14 AM   #22
anton005
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyunicyclerNJ View Post
I love my 29er I have had it since December, I also have the 26x5 rim and tire and love that in the snow I keep the 29x3 on the rest of the year.
which tire is it (29x3)?

how is it on the pavement?
anton005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-13, 03:57 PM   #23
crazyunicyclerNJ
uni till death

Send a message via AIM to crazyunicyclerNJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by anton005 View Post
which tire is it (29x3)?

how is it on the pavement?
it is the 29x3 and it is ridable on pavement, but I don't ride it on pavement as I have a 36'er. Riding on pavement as mentioned in some of the above post talking about rolling resistance, it is a strength requiring and draining ride, in some cases, even with higher tire pressure, depending on tread. I end up riding only from parking lot to the trail and back from trail on paved areas.
crazyunicyclerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-05, 02:34 AM   #24
candyapplecorn
Unicyclist

Climbing w/ Hatchet

I've got a 26" Torker LX with a tiny little tire and can climb pretty steep stuff. Often I beat mountain bikers in grears 1 & 1.

I want to upgrade to a higher quality municycle and am considering the hatchet because it's so neat. I've got a question though - is it harder to climb hills on the hatchet than on a unicycle with regular tires? Or rephrased, does the fat tire make it harder to climb hills?
candyapplecorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-05, 10:18 PM   #25
LanceB
This space available

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyapplecorn View Post
I've got a 26" Torker LX with a tiny little tire and can climb pretty steep stuff. Often I beat mountain bikers in grears 1 & 1.

I want to upgrade to a higher quality municycle and am considering the hatchet because it's so neat. I've got a question though - is it harder to climb hills on the hatchet than on a unicycle with regular tires? Or rephrased, does the fat tire make it harder to climb hills?
The Hatchet has a fat tire. That will increase the contact patch on the pavement (or trail), and provide a bit more drag as a result. Often this can be overcome by adding air pressure. The tire will also be larger diameter than your other skinny 26" wheel, so that will also increase the climbing effort slightly.
The main advantage of the fat-tire unis is the ability to roll over larger obstacles, and to "float" over soft surfaces like sand and snow. If these are not your requirements, perhaps a conventional muni would be a better choice. (The 3" tire that comes with the Nimbus or Oracle is a good tire that can handle pretty much any conditions.)
Just my opinion! Good luck!
Old 2017-12-05, 10:26 PM   #26
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
If these are not your requirements, perhaps a conventional muni would be a better choice.
Just get the Hatchet, because it looks cool. That is what I did. I did learn to hop with it last weekend and because it is so wide, the frame rubbed my shins while doing that. Now they are black and blue. Because of the fat tire, mounting it is extremely easy.
For rolling uphill, I prefer my normal 29" Nimbus.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-09, 07:27 AM   #27
candyapplecorn
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
... perhaps a conventional muni would be a better choice. (The 3" tire that comes with the Nimbus or Oracle is a good tire that can handle pretty much any conditions.)
I haven't had many problems with my tiny Torker tire, which is less than 2", so I think an upgrade to 3" would be mostly beneficial. Sometimes it slips a little on loose rocks/gravel, but that's just exciting! Sounds like you're right about the 3" tire being good for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Just get the Hatchet, because it looks cool. That is what I did. I did learn to hop with it last weekend and because it is so wide, the frame rubbed my shins while doing that. Now they are black and blue. Because of the fat tire, mounting it is extremely easy.
For rolling uphill, I prefer my normal 29" Nimbus.
It certainly looks cool. I saw one IRL the other day.

I hop sometimes and am glad it doesn't hit my shins. However my Torker has this "T" piece in the frame that hits my legs when I pedal (rarely, only on the trickiest sections), which sometimes gives me painful bruises the next day. Really makes driving a clutch car suck.

Going uphill on a 29"? I have a Nimbus Venture 29" with 114mm cranks which I can take up fairly steep, PAVED, inclines... But I tackle tougher stuff on my Torker. I'm not sure if height is a factor but at 5'6" I have a hunch going higher than 26", let alone 27.5", might already be a bad move for me.

Apparently there's a version of the Hatchet that comes with a 3" tire: https://www.unicycle.com/nimbus-hatc...tain-unicycle/. $785. The Kris Holm muni is the same price @ $775

I'm comparing that to this QuAx, which has a 2.2" tire: https://www.einradladen.com/584mm-27...axle-Disc-Muni. My local shop was carrying this model for $600 but they're out of stock.

And this Nimbus Oracle, 3" tire: https://www.unicycle.com/nimbus-27-5-oracle-unicycle/. $700 with the shorter seatpost.
candyapplecorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-22, 08:59 PM   #28
Setonix
Unicyclist

I was wondering, now that I am focusing more on riding more technical muni trails, which I mostly ride with the 29" Nimbus, next time I will take the hatchet out, which is a 26" with 4.80" fatty tire (Maxxis). According to the tire the psi shouldn't be higher than 20, but I reckon for muni that is still too much. How much psi would yous normally ride with? The one trail I found is a nice downhill ride, not at all steep, but with 20cm drops because of roots. With the 29" I experienced a few times that I'd start bouncing when making such a "drop".
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-23, 12:29 AM   #29
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Every tire, trail, rider, etc... can have a different "dialed in" psi.
It's up to you to find your #'s.

Get a small pump with a psi gauge and start keeping track of your pressures.

Start on a trail you know with the max pressure you think. Try it out. Too much bounce?... let some air out.
Keep going till it doesn't feel right. Now bump it back up 1 or 2lbs with your handy pump and fine tune.

There you go. Keep that #.
After a while, you won't need the gauge to find your sweet spot.

I keep my tires on two settings. One for downhill and one for X-country.
Very rarely do I ride road.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-24, 12:14 PM   #30
Jigywigy
Unicyclist

Setonix: I recently started riding the 26 inch 4.8 inch Hatchet. It is a tricky unicycle for tire pressure. If the tire pressure is too low it is wobbly. I tried at 10 PSI, but I couldn't make it too fare as the tire was like jello. So now I ride at 16 psi. As I get better at handling this uni I plan on lowering the pressure. At 16 psi if the tire hits a root at the wrong angle it quickly self steers. If I can get to lower pressures it should be easier as more of the root will be 'absorbed'. It probably doesn't help that my weight is 230lbs.

I love Hatchet for well packed snowmobile trails = wide and firmly packed. On smaller packed walking paths in the snow it is difficult to keep on on the path. It is always self steering!

I haven't had a lot of opportunities to ride Muni with it, yet. I suspect I will switch to a 29 or 27.5 by 3 tire, unless I can get the tire pressure closer to 10 psi.
Jigywigy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 nimbus 29, hatchet, muni, questions