Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-12-01, 09:48 AM   #16
pierrox
Unicyclist

That's a great story. And it's amazing to see how people like you guys can help us get a better product. Realizing that there are enough unicyclists worldwide to give you the confidence to invest into a new product. That's the nice aspect of globalisation for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeratunicycledotcom View Post
The UK did not get any spare new 32" tyres. I can not tell you if it will fit the kent rim. It should do going by figures, but it was slack on it before. I can not say if it will be different now.
I looked on your website, indeed in the "Tyres" section, there is only one 32" model. I assume it's the not-light weight. Which tyre is on the complete 32" uni you're offering?
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-01, 09:52 AM   #17
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:

In July (only weeks before our November container is placed with the factories) we received the first off's the tool.(...) So I built up a 32" and tested them. (...) . The interesting bit was the light weight one... wow! it was amazing. It performed so much better, it was responsive and controllable in a way I did not expect. Not all good news though. I could not keep the tyre on the rim! There was something wrong, so we got back to the factory immediately and asked them to check out why this was happening. It turned out that the bead tool was incorrect... so needed updating (more money!).

Roger
Quote:
The tyres have been checked for fit and pressur
Roger

Considering those two quotes there is something I'm not sure to understand well.
You have tested a sample of the new 32" light tire which was great, but you could not keep this tire on the rim (because something was wrong on the manufacturing, and now this issue is supposed to be fixed with the upcoming batches).

What does that mean exactly?
Does that mean that you were lucky enough to keep the tire on the rim during the test and it blew out of the rim later when it was just resting or something like this?
Or was it depending on how much air you put in it?
I mean.. what was exactly happening with this defective sample?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you have checked the new light 36" tires for fit and pressure, but that also means, if I understand well, that no one tested those tires during a proper test ride yet like you did on the 32" sample tire.

I'm very interested by this lighter tire, but I want to be sure the tire won't just explode because of not staying on the rim while I'm approaching 20 mph on my G36.

We all read those stories of random explosions of some of the 29" Schwalbe tires on Kh freeride rims while they were just resting in another room although it was ok for days prior to that.
It happened to me too one hour after installation : a Loud "BANG" but I was expecting it because of my previous readings, but I could not have guessed that it was going to happen otherwise, I mean the rim seemed to hold the tire properly.
I even have a testimony of a unicyclist (Simon Jan) who rode his G29 (same rim/tire combo: kh rim, schwalbe supermoto 29x2.35 50 PSI) and the tire went away after 20 km.

Of course very light schwalbe 29" tires with weak beads pumped up at High PSI on drilled kh rims made for low PSI off road tires, this situation has nothing to do with a much stronger 36" tire on a very good stealth2 rim, but you understand why I want to know what you mean by " I could not keep the tyre on the rim! "
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-01, 11:06 AM   #18
Moslki
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
That’s my dilemma, although my wheel has done many fewer miles than yours. I can’t justify throwing away my current tyre, yet I know it will last virtually forever. Humm, such a first world problem .
+1. Mine has quite a few cracks along the side walls though.. I usually don't inflate the tyre that much (just below 35psi - the cracks widen as you increase the pressure).. So maybe I should buy a new one after all...
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-01, 11:35 AM   #19
rogeratunicycledotcom
Mostly OKish Unicyclist

These tyres are from a different factory, so everything needs checking again even though they are using the same tools. I would rather have them a snug fit than having them loose.

You are right in that the lighter the side wall and bead the more likely to blow off the rims. Hence the problem I initially had with the sample 32" light tyre even though on the standard tyre it was ok - this is just that they used different materials than it was initially designed for. I blew it off at the top pressures, not where I was riding it.

I have checked the latest batch to be sure they fit and the indications are that there wont be any problems with the tyres coming off in use. So problem sorted.

Roger
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.uk.com
+++++++++++++++++++
rogeratunicycledotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-01, 12:14 PM   #20
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Great !
- Qu-ax trial 19"
Old 2017-12-04, 12:02 PM   #21
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Guess who just pulled the trigger

Can't wait to give it a spin
- Qu-ax trial 19"
Old 2017-12-04, 12:13 PM   #22
Moslki
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDreamerFR View Post

Can't wait to give it a spin
Let us know how it rides with the new tyre.. I might get one in the near future..
Moslki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-04, 01:03 PM   #23
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moslki View Post
Let us know how it rides with the new tyre.. I might get one in the near future..
Sure.
My first tire was a TA , about what? 2300 gm? smooth but heavy! max recommended PSI : 32PSI

then I put a light Nightrider (1700-1800gm lighter than the first NR batches).
Max recommended PSI: 65PSI

Then I built a G36 with the new Qu-Ax King George tire (1700-1800gm) which
feels like a mixture between the NR and the TA.
Max recommended PSI: 50PSI (just between the TA and the NR)
I still use the NR tire on my ungeared 36x145.

Where I ride, there is a lot flat paths but also a lot of climbs and slopes.
I can not miss a tire that is 400 gm lighter : especially for the climbs.
It will go on my G36x150.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
Old 2017-12-04, 01:31 PM   #24
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDreamerFR View Post
Yeah!
Xmas is early!
Eager to read your feedback!

btw: you still have your 29" Hookworm? -Thinking about selling mine very cheap, a pair could go easier maybe.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-04, 01:58 PM   #25
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Yeah!
Xmas is early!

btw: you still have your 29" Hookworm? -Thinking about selling mine very cheap, a pair could go easier maybe.
Feedback is not for right now, I'm having a break, didn't ride a single time those last 3 weeks, those short, cold, windy and rainy days are killing my motivation, but I'd like to ride my G36 (KG tire) at least once before putting this new lightweight tire, to better feel the difference.

And I still have a BUNCH of tires in which, yes, there still is my 29" Hookworm.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
Old 2017-12-04, 05:42 PM   #26
bouin-bouin
Didier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Yeah!
Xmas is early!

what about 3 ?
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-04, 06:30 PM   #27
Eremit
Seniorenklasse!

I'm afraid I did not get it: Will there be a 32er Version or not?

Großartigster Onlineshop der Welt! -> www.municycle.com
Eremit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-20, 09:36 AM   #28
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

First test ride of the 36" Nightrider Lite : review

For those who missed it on the Unicycle Chat FB page or for those who will read this thread in the future, here is a copy past of my review.

Test ride of the new 1400 gm 36er tire :Nightrider Lite.
Context: My last G36 ride was 6 weeks ago.
After that I only rode my not-geared 36er once one week later and that's all.
So my stamina is down to zero.
My experience with 36er tires is:
TA tire (2100-2300 gm) on my Qu-ax ungeared 36er
Nightrider (1750-1800gm) on the same Qu-ax 36er
King George (1750-1800 gm) on the G36
And now the Nightrider Lite 1400gm on the G36
The tube I used with this tire is the same as with the KG :a Michelin Airstop butyl A3 700x35-47 with schraded valve, 170 gm.
The tire was inflated at 52 PSI/3.5 Bars.
This test was during a 1h45-2h ride on a 22 km loop that has mixed parts, some complicated, some way easier and clear (bike path), a bit of uphill, a bit of downhill.
Some front and side wind, cold but sunny, and with some pauses to take pictures.
This was also the opportunity to test my latest DIY on the X-Chromosome Handlebar and my new audio Mp3 stuff, but I will focus on the tire.
Now this new tire: just wow !
I immediately felt the 400gm of rotational weight saved in comparison with the KG.
First the freemount. My freemounting technique is special: I freemount the uni and immediately do few hops in order to move my second foot until it is exactly where I want it to be, then only I start to pedal.
Each time I did it It was noticeably easier than how it used to be.
Second, accelerations : the wheel is more reactive when I want to accelerate or when I want to slow down.
The resistant torque at the pedals feels lower.
It's still a 36er tire with some inertia, but it's clearly a step toward smaller unis in term of feeling.
In low gear, with my 150 spirit cranks I could easily ride at 12-13-14 mph (19-22 km/h).
In high gear I found the guni stable, Sometimes the resistant torque at the pedals was in high gear nearly like what it used to feel in low gear with the previous tire.
I didn't dare to go faster than 26.8km/h (16.75 mph) in high gear because I didn't want to take any risk with this random wind, but I was quite comfortable at 15-16 mph and I didn't feel the need to go faster.
The transitions from low to high gear (or from high to low) were smooth, so I shifted way more often than I used to.
The inertia being lower, keeping a constant cruising speed in low gear may demand a bit more energy, at least theoretically , but in another hand, like I said, it's easier to accelerate and to slowdown.
Which leads to the third point: maneuverability.
I found it clearly easier to handle, to make sharp turns, to control exactly where I want to go on complicated situations.
There again it feels a bit more like a smaller uni.
also uphills were easier.
4th point: Sensitivity to Road camber :
Where the hell is it gone? On this loop I use to struggle with camber sensitivity on several parts, but with this tire: it never happened. I mean .. it NEVER HAPPENED !
5th the buzz sound : well I can't tell, I was riding with Joe Satriani playing his electric guitar just behind me
But the few times I turned it off I don't remember hearing anything.
As a conclusion about this new tire: It's the lightest one on the market right now and I pretty much felt it : easier to accelerate and to slowdown.
It's not only lighter, I found that it performs better than my previous tire in term of maneuverability.
Very low sensitivity to road camber, which is a big plus to me.
It was nearly like If I never stopped to ride, (except that I was suffering from low carb at the end).
I was supposed to be an extremely short test ride, but I enjoyed it so much that I just continued to ride.
I want to thank Unicycle UK-Staff for this great job on the new 32 and 36 tire. it seems that it was complicated to make it possible, but you did it! well done.
Now about the X-chromosome long and short position, with the strengthening DIY and the bar-tape, it's just perfect.
The audio system works like a charm and made the ride even funner.
I hope you guys enjoyed this review of the new 36er tire.
Pascal.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
Old 2017-12-20, 10:34 AM   #29
jogi
vegan rider

Thumbs up

thanks for nice review
www.ridetriton.com
jogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-21, 10:02 AM   #30
Fat D
Unicyclist

Tyre Blown off Rim

Morning Folks,

Some info with respect to the new Nimbus Tyre.

I bought Mike Fule's old Nimbus 36er with the Aero style rim. It came with a TA tyre and a Foss tube. A week back I bought the new Nightrider Lite tyre. I replaced the tube with a Michelin 29er tube as I don't have patches for the Foss tube. I've used 29er tubes for years on my 36er mountain bike.

The tyre is great to ride and the reduction in rotating mass made a noticeable difference.

The tyre has been on for a few days at 45 psi. Last night I inflated it to 55psi and parked it. The bead seat was nice and even. A couple of hours later, as my good lady was walking past the uni, the tyre blew off the rim. After the screaming had finished, I realized what had happened.

So after a chat with Roger this morning, his conclusion is that the tyre is not suitable for the older style aero profile rim, due to the narrow profile and possible slight reduction in bead seat diameter over the Nimbus rim. Roger also thought that the 29er tube might not have helped the matter.

So there you have it. Don't buy this tyre unless you are fitting it to the latest Nimbus rim. It's back to the TA tyre for me and I suppose I need to keep the Nightrider tyre until I build a new 36er wheel.
Fat D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new 36, tyre