Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-01-29, 05:33 PM   #16
Regina Wrecks
Cylopic Menace to Society.

I have nothing but praise for the KH knee and shin guards, but one has to make sure the size is relevant to the user perfectly, otherwise they will fall down. I have no experience of any other make but the KH, and I for one will not do without them now. Virtually 100% leg cover below the knee right to the top of the foot,excellent value..
Old 2017-01-31, 08:57 PM   #17
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Wrecks View Post
I have nothing but praise for the KH knee and shin guards, but one has to make sure the size is relevant to the user perfectly, otherwise they will fall down....
Since I have short, stocky legs with large calves, I decided to go with separate shin and knee pads, and it works perfectly. I can also use one or the other, or both together. It didn't look like the KH knee and shin guards would work for me as one piece, so I use Fuse shin guards (had to get the XLs, and they barely went around my calves), and I just use regular knee pads. The knee pads cover the tops of the Fuse shin guards but don't interfere with movement, so I have a pretty good amount of coverage on the front. This does not, however, offer much protection for the backs of my legs, but that's never been an issue for me.

I'm a little envious that you were able to get the KHs to fit perfectly, but I did spend less overall with my setup, so I guess that was a decent compromise!
Old 2017-02-08, 03:09 PM   #18
steviesmallfry
Unicyclist

I bought a pair of Triple 8 Exoskin Shin Guards for shin protection

And I have a source for 661 4x4 Guards as well, if I decide to go that route.
steviesmallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-20, 09:56 PM   #19
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTinbender View Post
I'm 5'11" and about 150 lbs and I went with the large. They work great. I was afraid the x-large would fit too loose. At the same time I thought the large might slip below the knees. No problem. they look a bit short but every time I've needed them they were right where they needed to be. They are a bit loose at the ankle but it hasn't been a problem. X-large might be loose top to bottom.
I hope this helps, good luck.
AzTinbender, Thanks for your input. Here I am a month later and I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a large KH Percussion knee/shin guards. This old body needs all the protection it can get and so far, I have been pretty lucky with my knees and shins.

Be well and keep your falls injury free.
Old 2017-02-20, 11:12 PM   #20
AzTinbender
Unicyclist

The only scratches on my leg since I bought mine are from the time I found myself dancing across the desert, kind of face first in to a sticker bush of some sort following a UPD. But nothing much is going to help when the branch enters from the top and slides down your leg, under the guard. Other than that they've been great!
I hope they work out for you as well as mine have for me.
AzTinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 12:04 PM   #21
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

Quote:
The only scratches on my leg since I bought mine are from the time I found myself dancing across the desert, kind of face first in to a sticker bush of some sort following a UPD. But nothing much is going to help when the branch enters from the top and slides down your leg, under the guard. Other than that they've been great!
AzTinbender
I've received the KH Percussions and the large size fits great.
I've worn them twice over jeans and in 30 to 40 degree temperatures, they were fine. Yesterday, it was about 55 degree and they were warm with jeans. The real test will be during the humid NYC summers.
I also found another use for them. I recently traveled by plane and put my unicycle in my suitcase. I wrapped the frame with the shin/knee guards to protect the brake and frame. It suffered no injuries.
Thanks again for your feedback.
Be well and may your face first UPDs be into more forgiving vegetation
Old 2017-03-26, 06:52 PM   #22
AzTinbender
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unisphere View Post
AzTinbender

I also found another use for them. I recently traveled by plane and put my unicycle in my suitcase. I wrapped the frame with the shin/knee guards to protect the brake and frame. It suffered no injuries.

Great idea! Something I'd never thought of.
As far as getting hot in the humid NY summers, I'm sure you can count on that. It hasn't been too hot here since I bought mine, though it is starting to warm up. But I don't think anything that offers good protection is going to be comfortable in the summer time. If there's a trade off, I'll take sweating for a couple hours over bleeding all over the bed sheets at night. Finally something my wife and I agree on.
Old 2017-03-27, 02:14 AM   #23
Universe
Unicyclist

Quote:
AzTinbender
I've received the KH Percussions and the large size fits great.
I've worn them twice over jeans and in 30 to 40 degree temperatures, they were fine. Yesterday, it was about 55 degree and they were warm with jeans. The real test will be during the humid NYC summers.
Thanks again for your feedback.
Be well and may your face first UPDs be into more forgiving vegetation
I find my KH Percussions to be so warm even when its 20 F degrees that I still wear shorts. The only addition to my clothing is a pair of Gortex pants if keeping the snow out of my boots is in order.

In the summer they are serious ovens. I have to open them when I stop for a rest. They are just too hot otherwise. But like AzTinbender I'll take the protection over the torn up legs. I recently ripped a hole in the side of mine, I think with a stick. That's fine by me.
Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 10:23 AM   #24
Ben_Ceyssens
Unicyclist

For anyone still wondering what shinguards to buy.
Get these: https://www.ridetsg.com/index.php?sf...u=76012-35-102

I've been using these for over 10 years and they are still fantastic.
Ben_Ceyssens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-17, 10:31 AM   #25
rich
Unicyclist

I had some 661s years ago for Muni and they were too cumbersome with no back padding so I rarely wore them.
I've also tried KH Percussion but they were in a size too big for me (came with second hand uni). Never really liked knee pads since I rarely fall on my knees, favouring the run-out or 'parachute landing fall' whenever I can manage it.

I've just got hold of some of the TSG shin pads Ben mentioned. They are great! Thick neoprene all round and a very robust cordura front sleeve containing removable hard plastic insert. They also slim enough to work perfectly under trousers.

I wish I'd found them years ago; my shins would look less like sausagemeat!
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-29, 01:50 AM   #26
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

Quote:
AzTinbender,
The HK knee/shin pads are warm (or should I say, "hot") but they are keeping my skin intact. So far, I'm tolerating the heat okay, but I now carry them on my back to and from the local trails. A couple of weeks ago, I was riding and felt something like the "sticker bush" you described. I jumped off my unicycle and started to bang on my knee. Something was biting me. I ripped opened the velcro of the top section of the knee pad and found a bee biting my knee. Ouch! I mean OUCH! Man, I was feeling the sting for over a week.

Be well, without the Bees.
Old 2017-07-29, 09:41 PM   #27
AzTinbender
Unicyclist

Quote:
AzTinbender,
The HK knee/shin pads are warm (or should I say, "hot") but they are keeping my skin intact. So far, I'm tolerating the heat okay, but I now carry them on my back to and from the local trails. A couple of weeks ago, I was riding and felt something like the "sticker bush" you described. I jumped off my unicycle and started to bang on my knee. Something was biting me. I ripped opened the velcro of the top section of the knee pad and found a bee biting my knee. Ouch! I mean OUCH! Man, I was feeling the sting for over a week.

Be well, without the Bees.
Funny, I had a bee get under my wrist guard last summer. "OUCH" is right! I may have said a few other things at the time as well. I was stung on the wrist and swelled from the first knuckles of that hand to my elbow. Not fun.
As far as the shin pads getting warm, I've worn mine all summer this year, including one afternoon at 118° and don't really notice that they're there. Could be that in Arizona we're accustomed to the feeling that we're riding across the surface of the sun. When my head is melting, my shirt is soaked and my crotch is ready to sprout mushrooms I probably just don't give a lot of thought to my calves. The thing that reminds that they're there is the click they make when they hit the frame on every pedal stroke. But I finally got used to that. And I'm really getting used to not having my legs shredded.
Keep riding and try to steer clear of the bees!

Tags
guards, knee or shin