Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-10-31, 10:03 PM   #31
Feisty
Unicyclist

Location: Worthing, England Unicycle 1: KH20 LN Sold Unicycle 2: KH24 (HS33) Sold Unicycle 3: 24 Impact Gravity Unicycle 4: KH26 (Disc) rebuilt Unicycle 5: KH29 (Disc) Unicycle 6: Triton 36 (Disc)
Looking at just the leverage angle is a bit simplistic as you have bio mechanical interface of the riders limb as well and overall speed of a ride.

My 170mm cranks made hills ridiculously easy on my first ride with a 29er but my overall average was 1mph slower than my 26er with 145mm cranks. Yes it was easier on the hills and at the end of the ride I wasn't very tired at all but it felt slow and unchallenged opposed to my 137mm which are fast hard work on the hills but rewarding and challenge me.

My experience seems to reflect other peoples experiences but it would be interesting to know peoples total leg and or Femur length and their preferred crank length as I bet there will be a direct correlation between the two
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 10:43 PM   #32
MuniAddict
Not "2" Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisty View Post
My experience seems to reflect other peoples experiences but it would be interesting to know peoples total leg and or Femur length and their preferred crank length as I bet there will be a direct correlation between the two
Excellent point!

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2012-10-31 at 10:45 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-02, 02:38 AM   #33
jona
Registered Looser

standard measuring

Sounds good....What should be the standard?
Bottom of foot to top of bent knee?
Front of bent knee to crotch?
jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-02, 04:51 AM   #34
jona
Registered Looser

I'll start....
35" inseam = 150's
Old 2012-11-02, 05:12 PM   #35
Feisty
Unicyclist

Location: Worthing, England Unicycle 1: KH20 LN Sold Unicycle 2: KH24 (HS33) Sold Unicycle 3: 24 Impact Gravity Unicycle 4: KH26 (Disc) rebuilt Unicycle 5: KH29 (Disc) Unicycle 6: Triton 36 (Disc)
32" inseam
137mm cranks

Nice to mix metric and imperial units
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 03:33 AM   #36
jona
Registered Looser

Wow didn't even notice the mixed measuring.
I was thinking "1 wheel-1 world" yeah, that's it.
Old 2012-11-11, 04:03 AM   #37
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

My inseam is 32", femur measuring from center of knee cap to illiac crest (hip bone) is 21". I dom't have very long legs, but I loke very long cranks

Last weekend I did a brief pedal poistin swap from 165 to 137, this was on the trail, ridih some flowy singel track. I found the cranks to be a tad short, lost enogh control that transitons and obstacles became much more difficult and steep ups became steel walks, so I swapped back shortly.

So yesterda I swapped cranks on my 36er from 165's to 150's and rode a moderate single track loop that I've done often on 29er and 36er. It was akward at first, requiring a finer balance point than the big cranks, I couldn't count on pedal pressure to slow down or power up, momentum was key but too much momentum with short cranks is not as controllable, spinning smoothly and thinking ahead were the name of the game.

By the end of the ride, fours later, I was pretty comfortable riding the shorter cranks, I even considered keeping them on for a while longer, that was until I hit some tough uphills and some even tougher downhills. Uphills that I normally think nothing of ridring were walks and the downhills on steep rocky terrain were supper duper sketchy; think out of control spin riding across rock ledges.

I could see running 137 to 150 for flatter terrain, more double track, gravel roads, that sort of thing, but for single track it's just not reasonable to try and climb/descend technical single track on short cranks. I'd even go as far as to say it was dangerous doing so, had to force myself to walk things I normally ride

So i went home and swapped cranks, but instead of going back to 165's, I went straight to 170's

Tomorrow it's back to the single track on the36er, go big or go home!
Old 2012-11-11, 04:38 PM   #38
Twente Muni
Tom

Hi Ben,

All this crank swapping....
How about a Schlumpf?
You have much more experience than a few years ago, when you had your first Schlumpf.
You will be fine in high gear on the easy trails, they will be fun again.
26" KH Guni, 2.5" muddy mary, freeride
Twente Muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 04:47 PM   #39
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Just been out on my 36 which always reverts to 150s whatever else I try. About 22 miles including a single longish steepish incline and a more gradual descent with some steep sections. Always felt under control and I made it up the hill in one. I also ride the 36 comfortably on easy cross country including short but steep descents on 150s.

Swapping cranks is a simple 5 - 10 minute job if your tools aren't hidden in several different parts of the garage.
Old 2012-11-12, 01:01 PM   #40
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
Hi Ben,

All this crank swapping....
How about a Schlumpf?
You have much more experience than a few years ago, when you had your first Schlumpf.
You will be fine in high gear on the easy trails, they will be fun again.
I've always played around with cranks, it helps that I have lots of choices and a nice place to work.

I last rode a guni a year ago, my skills haven't changed much, but then it really wasn't a skill thing turned me off on the guni, it was the 50% gearing step. I'd like a 25-30% step, also some 165/150 cranks, but of course neither of those dreams are coming anytime soon...

I'm thinking about building a 29guni, but it would be more for double track and dirt/gravel road, extended rides, overnighters, that sort of thing. A guni really isn't viable for the trails I ride, it's just to variable, I'd be in and out of gear too often. When I rode bikes I was on a 29er single speed, which is a very popular mtb styler here, for the same reasons I ride a single speed uni.

I rode the 36er last night with the QuAx chromoly steel 170's, but the Q factor was just a little too much for my already super wide hub (125mm), the power was better but the width threw me off.

@ Feisty: I think the Q factor may have been what made your uni ride weird when you ride the wider cranks. I'm on an Oregon, so I'm used to having a wide set up, but the addition of 12-15mm width made the ride wonky. Have you tried a K1 crank?

So I didn't totally dislike the 150's, though they were a tad short for climbing, so tonight I'm swapping out to some K1 160's which have a Q factor in between the Ventures and Moments. If these are a nice balance of power and spin, then I'm going to order a new set of the K1 lights.

Last night was my first night ride of the season, single track, leaves, roots and rocks, so much fun
Old 2014-05-12, 07:44 PM   #41
jona
Registered Looser

I bought a 29 trainer from UDC a few months ago. It came with 150's. I switched to Coker 127's and was much better. Curiosity got me and went to 102's. These were even better. (totally flat road riding) I figured it would be too much, but I ordered a set of Nimbus Ventures 75's anyway. Put them on and after some trying was able to ride down the road. I was thinking I was getting it, when I came to a stop and shot the uni out in front and landed flat on my back. Lack of torque and no brake. Little road rash was all, no biggy.
So a couple questions come to mind. Does anyone ride 75's on a 29 regularly, or is that just too short?
Is there a "Too short" for riding due to not enough movement, resulting in leg muscle issues.
I was surprised at the speed difference between 75's and 102's.....thanks
Old 2014-05-12, 08:49 PM   #42
GizmoDuck
Uni Hour Record Holder 29.993km

Quote:
Originally Posted by jona View Post
So a couple questions come to mind. Does anyone ride 75's on a 29 regularly, or is that just too short?
Is there a "Too short" for riding due to not enough movement, resulting in leg muscle issues.
I was surprised at the speed difference between 75's and 102's.....thanks
I ride a 700c, and 75mm cranks are what I use. It works fine where I live, which is pretty hilly. I recall riding the Unicon 15 marathon course (which was very hilly- ask anyone who rode it), and climbed up faster than I ever thought possible, and much faster than I did on a 36"/145mm Schlumpf in 1:1. The slideshow of the terrain is at the bottom: http://www.uniconxv.co.nz/participan...tition/venues/

Partly that is from having a lightwheel, but once you get used to it, the 75mm cranks are great for climbing. The grades where I ride get to 10-15%.

Last edited by GizmoDuck; 2014-05-12 at 08:56 PM.
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-12, 09:21 PM   #43
LargeEddie
Kiss up, kick down

Wow, 75mm... Now that really is "heroic." How are they going downhill? That's what I'm curious about.

The older pages of this exchange are mostly from before I joined the site, and there are some interesting and less obvious points going back there. What adelman has to say about a larger range of motion engaging more muscle fibers, making more stored energy available for long rides, is food for thought. But fighting the wobble from wonky pedaling on long cranks probably wastes energy too.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-13, 12:30 AM   #44
GizmoDuck
Uni Hour Record Holder 29.993km

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
Wow, 75mm... Now that really is "heroic." How are they going downhill? That's what I'm curious about.

The older pages of this exchange are mostly from before I joined the site, and there are some interesting and less obvious points going back there. What adelman has to say about a larger range of motion engaging more muscle fibers, making more stored energy available for long rides, is food for thought. But fighting the wobble from wonky pedaling on long cranks probably wastes energy too.
I find long cranks use more energy because of the greater range of motion and also because you tend to be using a bigger, heavier wheel.

At low resistance with short cranks, the movement is so small- it feels like you're gliding with little effort/movement. I could ride all day with a 75mm/700c. On long cranks/big wheel (125mm/36"), I know my legs have had a good workout after a couple of hours.

I have a 32km training ride with a few climbs and I'm a few minutes faster on the 75mm/700c than my 110/36" record (which was set jsut before I won the Marathon at Unicon 13- I was quite fit then!).

Downhill- hard to answer- it depends on steepness, and the weight/momentum of the wheel/rider. The 75mm/700c feels similar to 110/36" in terms of controllability for me.

Last edited by GizmoDuck; 2014-05-13 at 12:31 AM.
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-13, 01:51 PM   #45
Dida

I have tested 75/700c compared to 125/36" on flat road. I was faster on the 36er. Going downhill with short cranks on a small wheel is harder than on a big wheel with long cranks. For me, a 700c uni cant beat a 36er.
Dida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
climb, cranks, shock, short