Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-03-29, 09:20 PM   #301
Feisty
Unicyclist

Location: Worthing, England Unicycle 1: KH20 LN Sold Unicycle 2: KH24 (HS33) Sold Unicycle 3: 24 Impact Gravity Unicycle 4: KH26 (Disc) rebuilt Unicycle 5: KH29 (Disc) Unicycle 6: Triton 36 (Disc)
I did initially for a few days when I first assembled the uni (being a noob) but backed the cap screws off, as I was learning I only covered a mile with them overtightened

When I took the old bearings apart they were a bit rusty inside and there was no real grease to be found.

Even with just the rubber dust seals I would have thought they would have coped with the wet muddy weather and washing better than that.

We will see how these ones last, although these quax ones for UDC click slightly out the packet but spin freely (even with the caps off and just resting in the frame).
it

Thanks for the Kudos on bearing change (building a new wheel will be my next challenge as I true my bike wheels so should be ok to build one from scratch) I didn't think I would need a bloody grinder though another sign of a corrosion issues was the difficulty getting them off and orange corrosion residue all over the bearing caps and and frame bearing face

Last edited by Feisty; 2012-03-29 at 09:25 PM.
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 09:36 PM   #302
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisty View Post
Anyway static mounts suck (because I can't do them )
Should have kept the old bearings on - seized ones would make a static mount a lot easier
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 09:45 PM   #303
Feisty
Unicyclist

Location: Worthing, England Unicycle 1: KH20 LN Sold Unicycle 2: KH24 (HS33) Sold Unicycle 3: 24 Impact Gravity Unicycle 4: KH26 (Disc) rebuilt Unicycle 5: KH29 (Disc) Unicycle 6: Triton 36 (Disc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Should have kept the old bearings on - seized ones would make a static mount a lot easier
I always have my Maguras
Old 2012-03-31, 08:11 PM   #304
Feisty
Unicyclist

Wow what a difference! I am still finding the MUni a little more twitchy but the difference free bearings makes offroad is fantastic.

My speed downhill is massively faster than before when any resistance with my legs resulted in me pedalling from stall point to stall point due to the stiff bearings, now I can let gravity take me and just modulate my speed. This meant I could ride probably three times faster down hill and literally fly over the rough stuff, it was fantastic fun .

I was even chasing some runners down on one trail, one seemed to be a genuine royal marine judging by his gear so was chuffed when he said "rather you than me"

I did UPD later in the day going to the shops as I was pushing my top speed on the pavement and was at full tilt when a dip caught me, I almost pulled it back but just slowly went forward so had to jump off but found I was going far faster than I could run so hit the deck again fantastic fun lol

It is so free now I actually tried coasting and by that I mean I hard a brain fart and actually stopped pedalling as you would on a bike to free wheel managed to save that one though.
Old 2012-04-06, 06:04 PM   #305
Feisty
Unicyclist

A video of me going down a long steepish trail (I was holding my crappy phone as I went.

http://youtu.be/sTmoqu6Kykk
Old 2012-04-08, 09:25 PM   #306
AngryGumball
Unicyclist

We've had quite a bit of rain the past few weeks, fending me off of from riding but have had some great weather the past couple days. That said, I decided to do some more rides around the block and while I'm still feeling soreness, it seems that it is coming far later in the ride, thus allowing me to ride longer without burning out...and I'm feeling more comfy with riding up and down small slopes, a nice, new challenge.

And because I had nothing better to do today, why not do some multitasking...actually, this takes a bit of coordination as while I'm doing the footwork, I'm also concentrating on throwing a good sleeper and catching it (or looping it).
Expect the next video like this to be done with a creepy clown mask
AngryGumball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 11:51 AM   #307
Feisty
Unicyclist

Thought I would revive this thread.

My offroad skills have been getting better and better with me now taking 1+ foot drops and thundering over roors and pot holes, but the reason for my post is that with the kids asleep i decided that if I can't go out riding I was going to practice in the kitchen

I finally got static freemounting down, well I can get on 95% of the time but only do a pedal stroke or two after mounting in the confines of the kitchen.

My breakthrough was to just get on with it and more importantly throw myself forward. Previously I had been trying to jump up and on to the seat where as now I hop up but push my crouch and body forward thus rotating my trailing pedal up and counteracting the weight of my left foot (I try and unweight it as much as possible), this also means that I am helped up by the sadle rotating forward and up around the axle.

It is an amazing feeing when something kinda clicks and feel right (much like first learning to ride!)

I was covered in sweat (I never realy sweat) after 45 mins of constant mounting (I lost count at about 45 successful mounts straight), I need lots more practice but am happy now I have had that click moment so I can refine my technique.

Just need to master hopping a bit more and landing drops (working on rotating pedals to horizontal in mid air).
Old 2012-05-03, 03:17 PM   #308
jojoxie
Unicyclist

Hey Feisty, I've been watching your other posts and thinking how well you're doing. I have a really scruffy static mount, there is usually some backward movement And when I have done the perfect mount I've been so surprised that I keel over sideways

Have fun,
Joseph.
Old 2012-05-03, 05:06 PM   #309
Feisty
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoxie View Post
Hey Feisty, I've been watching your other posts and thinking how well you're doing. I have a really scruffy static mount, there is usually some backward movement And when I have done the perfect mount I've been so surprised that I keel over sideways

Have fun,
Joseph.
Thanks

I forget I have only been riding for such a short time

Normally I freemount perfectly with a small dab of the hand on the tyre and never got around to doing proper staic mounts (in my massive unicycling career :P)

Doing MUni helped my riding no end dealing with all the bumps and drops, not to mention all the remounts

more than most sports the saying practice makes perfect really does apply
Old 2012-05-10, 06:41 PM   #310
unilars
Unicyclist

Trying to get 900 unispins down. we'll see if I can get that by July
Old 2012-05-10, 09:32 PM   #311
Byc
Unicyclist

Hi there!

Hope you are all doing well, unicycling around the world.

Today i found out that since installing a cyclometer to the Muni i did 83 kilometers so far.

And i am enjoying it more and more. Last day i did the morning route to the market for breakfast. It was fun, it felt great, perfect way to start the day.

Greetings

Byc
Byc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 07:36 PM   #312
Feisty
Unicyclist

I have now mastered static free mounting and in the process also learned to hop which means I can rescue a dodgy mount and also adjust my position, turn around etc, I am still working on hopping on and over things but can hope 8-10 inches vertically with a high saddle setup (roll on the delivery of my KH20 Long Neck trials ) and jump a few feet sideways so it shouldn't take to long to get that down.

The video isn't my best run at all but was only my third attempt at going up and down my garden and turning around using hops. The pictures show me doing a 110degree turn at about 10" high in one move which I rode off from I might add

http://youtu.be/vNwzkt5kZvo
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-17, 05:35 PM   #313
edgybonehead
There is no such thing as normal

I've read this thread from front to back and I'm wondering if I missed something. I was in getting my bike tuned and saw a unicycle so I bought it. I got home and used a car as support my first ride was about four car lengths I got stoked. 7 days later I could do figure 8's and drop curbs basically I could ride anywhere I wanted in a relatively straight line. that was last summer(july). I read about the things you guys are doing(yoyo while stalling) and makes me wonder if I didn't miss something by the quick start I got. I'm trying to learn to idle and ride backwards but im just stuck. reading this thread makes me think there's a lot to be learned from the initial struggles. Keep it up, im gonna stop riding around and try to get some of these what seem to be basic skills.
P.S. i'd really love to be able to hop.
edgybonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 11:58 AM   #314
Piter
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgybonehead View Post
I've read this thread from front to back and I'm wondering if I missed something. I was in getting my bike tuned and saw a unicycle so I bought it. I got home and used a car as support my first ride was about four car lengths I got stoked. 7 days later I could do figure 8's and drop curbs basically I could ride anywhere I wanted in a relatively straight line. that was last summer(july). I read about the things you guys are doing(yoyo while stalling) and makes me wonder if I didn't miss something by the quick start I got. I'm trying to learn to idle and ride backwards but im just stuck. reading this thread makes me think there's a lot to be learned from the initial struggles. Keep it up, im gonna stop riding around and try to get some of these what seem to be basic skills.
P.S. i'd really love to be able to hop.
I also had a very quick start like yours, and just like you I was getting frustrated because I just couldn't manage to idle/ ride backwards long. But I just kept practicing and after a while I could ride backwards (not perfect) and idle.
So it is just a matter of perseverance, there are tricks that you will get very quick (for me it was all kinds of hops etc) and other tricks that will take a long time (for me it was different types of riding like SIF, Backwards, Belly on seat,...).
One thing I also learned is that it takes a looooong time to completely master a trick. Take freemounting for example, I learned it pretty quick, but I would still miss a freemount once in a while, but now I can freemount in a really bad (almost uncontrolled) way and still manage to get on my unicycle and ride away.
Piter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diary, freemount, learn, learn to ride, learning journal, learning the basics, progress, tips or advice