Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Latest Unicycling News! > News and Announcements

View Poll Results: Do you (realistically) expect to attend Munifest Destiny 2012: Albuquerque?
I want to attend, but have to miss it this year. 7 23.33%
I definitely plan to attend Munifest Destiny! 23 76.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-05-01, 04:45 AM   #1
eyal
Unicycologist

"California" Muni Weekend 2012 Teaser: Oct 5-8 in Albuquerque!

Hello unicyclists! For those of you who like to plan early, I can't keep the secret any longer: A date and location has been selected for the 2012 version of what has been popularly known as "California Mountain Unicycle Weekend".

Date: Oct 5-7 2012

In fact, these dates occur on Columbus Day Weekend, providing the most dedicated folks an extra day (the 8th) of ultra-fun adventure time.

Given the Western migratory pattern of this exiting annual adventure, the organizers have decided upon a name change too. This year's original muni weekend will be known as "Munifest Destiny: Albuquerque"!

Keep an eye out here for updates and links. In the coming weeks and months, our club website will provide info about accommodations, itinerary, etc. For now, suffice it to say that Albuquerque offers a fantastic network of trails, great food, and real cheap accommodations. For your convenience, here are driving times for some popular starting points:

Austin: 12 hrs
Denver: 7 hrs
Los Angeles: 12 hrs
Phoenix: 7 hrs
Salt Lake City: 11 hrs
San Francisco, Oregon, Seattle, Twin Cities, Vancouver: you guys should probably fly

Last, for our planning purposes, we ask that if you plan to come, please indicate so using the poll below. Note, I'm not asking if you merely WANT to come - I'm asking if you realistically expect that you WILL come. If you're not sure yet, ignore the poll until you are sure

Join us... It is your munifest destiny!

Your organizing committee,
Eyal Aharoni and
the New Mexico Mountain Unicycle Brigade (NMuni)
Attached Images

eyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 05:50 AM   #2
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Send a message via MSN to saskatchewanian Send a message via Skype™ to saskatchewanian
ooooOOOOOoooo, I haven't been to New Mexico yet...

I got the dates written down but I think I am going to have to skip this fall.

I think that is what I said last year though.
Old 2012-05-01, 12:06 PM   #3
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Eric, you have no excuse, fire season will be over, you'll have a new truck to break in, might as well come tour and visit with freinds

I'm in.
Old 2012-05-01, 12:38 PM   #4
Max_Dingemans
Pedal Pedal Crash

Send a message via AIM to Max_Dingemans
Argh, same weekend as the mandolin convention I'm helping to organize. Otherwise I'd be all over it.
Old 2012-05-01, 01:36 PM   #5
Gilby
Unicyclist.com Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Dingemans View Post
Argh, same weekend as the mandolin convention I'm helping to organize. Otherwise I'd be all over it.
We'll still have a contingent from the Twin Cities, as I have no excuse not to be there!
Gilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 02:32 PM   #6
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Mandolin, seriously?

I suppose a covention of Mandolin players is unique, but a munifest in October, riding trails with other muni riders, how often can you do that?
Old 2012-05-02, 12:53 AM   #7
nathan
BIG rides: 24"/36" on/off road

Sounds like a blast. See you there!
nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 03:47 AM   #8
uniShark
muni commuter

I'm very interested, and considering bringing my 12-y-o riding buddy. There's that whole father-son trip bonding experience thing, but really I just want an excuse for not riding as well as y'all.

Seriously, I assume there are actually trails around/through the boulders in that great photo above, right? Doable (umm, response from other than Tom Holub please) for a 29er roller and a kid on a 24?
Another question: how steep are we talking? I've been meaning to get my son a brake, just need to know how much training to put him through on it.

Oh, and there's that little factor of I still haven't been back on a uni since breaking my leg, and have follow-up surgery tomorrow. . . but October's far enough off, eh?

So, not quite ready to commit in the poll, but seriously considering it.
- James (and Owen)

pLs forgve anu typist imak win positing forum my fone.
uniShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 06:47 AM   #9
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

By the way, Eyal forgot to mention another cool event going on that same weekend/week. If you like balloons, add another excuse to go:
http://www.balloonfiesta.com/
The dates run Oct. 6-14, so you don't even have to miss any rides to do both! Jacquie and I will be there.

Extremely-eastern California here we come!

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 02:58 PM   #10
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
Seriously, I assume there are actually trails around/through the boulders in that great photo above, right? Doable (umm, response from other than Tom Holub please) for a 29er roller and a kid on a 24?
Another question: how steep are we talking? I've been meaning to get my son a brake, just need to know how much training to put him through on it.

Oh, and there's that little factor of I still haven't been back on a uni since breaking my leg, and have follow-up surgery tomorrow. . . but October's far enough off, eh?
You should come, there's always mellow trails and there are always mellow riders, not everyone jumps off buolders; I certainly do not!

Bring your son, I was thinking of doing the same with mine, though he probably can't go do to school and marching band season.

You don't "need" brakes, but short cranks can be tiring if there's a lot of downhill. My son rode the Oregon over teh weekend with 150's and he said even with brakes his legs got tired.

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-05-02 at 02:59 PM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 05:05 PM   #11
aarons
Eating a sandwich

I'm moving to Santa Fe in July. This will be practically right next door

.. and thanks for the link to the NMuni site. I somehow hadn't seen that before.
aarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 12:29 AM   #12
eyal
Unicycologist

Hey folks. All good questions! Here are some preliminary answers. More detail to come later.

The ride itinerary / trail conditions will have broad appeal...

Steepness level: Knowing my muni heritage, there will be much more downhill than uphill. However, the ABQ area really doesn't have very steep trails, and so a brake is absolutely not necessary for people with more-or-less healthy knees.

Technicality: Anyone with a little off-road experience should have no problem finding a route on most of the trails. More experienced riders will also get to enjoy some interesting rock formations. Obviously, not everyone will be able to ride every section, but it shouldn't stop a 12 year old relative newbie from attending. The hardest section for newbies will probably be the first mile of Cedro Peak's Power Lines trail (probably Friday), which has a lot of loose "golf balls." There will also be a very short section (1/8 mile?) called Balsam Glade that only a few rock stars will be able to complete, but the rest of us can easily ride around this kind of stuff. Also, the photo I posted may be a bit misleading. All the trails we will ride will actually be legitimate trails. The only possible exception will be during the trails comp. If we end up going with a natural trials comp, we won't be far from that boulder section. However, we are considering a man-made trials comp instead - details later.

Distance: The longest trail is likely to max out at about 12 miles. However, there are lots of early exits throughout that circuit for people who are concerned.

Dangerousness: Unlike porcupine or SB trails, the trails here do not traverse any cliff edges, so there is no risk of cliff side retrievals of uni's or unicyclists. Contrary to expectation, you will also not have to worry much about cactus or poison oak on this itinerary

While I agree with Nurse Ben's enthusiasm, I don't want to dis the mandolin convention. That sounds really darn fun, and I'm sorry it conflicts, Max!

Thanks, Foss, for pointing out about the Balloon Fiesta. Riders will get a kick out of seeing dozens of them filling up the big New Mexico sky. But the Balloon Fiesta is a really popular event, so be sure to book your accommodations soon!
eyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 01:22 AM   #13
ABQnmuni
Just a guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons View Post
I'm moving to Santa Fe in July. This will be practically right next door

.. and thanks for the link to the NMuni site. I somehow hadn't seen that before.
We are excited to see you out here this summer. You will be in good company.

Eyal also forgot to mention really good beer as well...lol

Last edited by ABQnmuni; 2012-05-03 at 01:23 AM.
ABQnmuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 02:21 AM   #14
magicollin
Unicyclist

Send a message via AIM to magicollin
Awesome, this sounds like a lot of fun! The trails in the NMuni photos look like a blast. October is too far in the future for me to commit for certain, once I am registered for the fall semester I will have a better idea if I can make it.

edit: I just saw the bit about really good beer, the date is now written in my planner.

Last edited by magicollin; 2012-05-03 at 02:22 AM.
magicollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 03:46 PM   #15
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

First Mandolins, now Balloons, puleeze people, we're talking
M-U-N-I-F-E-S-T, and "California style" to boot!

Quote:
I don't want to dis the mandolin convention. That sounds really darn fun, and I'm sorry it conflicts, Max!
Yeah, it is a shame to miss it, but Max is an organizer so I supposed he can't exactly not show up

So, anyone wanna join me at Outerbike in Moab a couple days before?

It'd be cool if we had a Southeast Contingent...anyone?

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-05-03 at 03:47 PM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, albuquerque, california, california muni weekend, muni, munifest destiny, new mexico, oct, teaser, weekend