Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-03-23, 03:48 AM   #1
scott ttocs
Unicyclist
 
scott ttocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Irvine, CA
Age: 55
Posts: 1,220
Unicycle in "Hunger Games?"

Probably not.

NC is a great place for muni. Did they miss an opportunity?

scott ttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 07:35 PM   #2
mbalmer
Is it June yet?
 
mbalmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Age: 55
Posts: 1,111
Ha ha. I can see it now. A unicycle amongst the weapons and supplies. Someone grabs a bow and arrow and takes off on a unicycle, killing as he/she goes.
mbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 08:33 PM   #3
scott ttocs
Unicyclist
 
scott ttocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Irvine, CA
Age: 55
Posts: 1,220
It sounds like a new biathlon event for the olympics.
scott ttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 03:26 AM   #4
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'
 
johnfoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 15,436
Damn, this movie is really, really hyped! Hardly any other opening movies make it onto these forums for no particular reason.
__________________
John Foss
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 10:23 PM   #5
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists
 
JJuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Matawan, NJ, USA
Age: 53
Posts: 8,156
Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Damn, this movie is really, really hyped! Hardly any other opening movies make it onto these forums for no particular reason.
It was actually well done. Understated even.

And Stanley Tucci was marvelous.
__________________
Raphael Lasar

To plotz is human, to Schvitz divine.
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 12:16 AM   #6
harper
768 - It's in your DNA
 
harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Age: 62
Posts: 8,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJuggle View Post
It was actually well done. Understated even.

And Stanley Tucci was marvelous.
You're a big Tucci fan if I remember. I trust your judgement in movies and Karen wants to see this one.

I just finished the book. Karen had it lying around. My son had recommended it to her. I was about a page into it when I realized it was written for 5th graders. That's OK, it was a fast, fun read.

I spoke with my son about it yesterday. He had assigned it to his high school students in Bogota. That's he he heard about it. They all speak fluent English but their reading skills are kind of behind their speaking skills. He wanted them to read some adolescent level prose.
__________________
-Greg Harper

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 04:00 AM   #7
harper
768 - It's in your DNA
 
harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Age: 62
Posts: 8,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
You're a big Tucci fan if I remember. I trust your judgment in movies and Karen wants to see this one.
Well, I used to trust your judgment. That's not fair, I still do. I can still thank your past recommendation for allowing me to understand Richard Dreyfuss' character's response, as a playwrite, to Sarah Braverman in the Parenthood series when he said, "Do you think Stanley Kowalski was an average bus driver? Do you think Marty was an average butcher?" I wouldn't have known who Marty was without your movie pick.

I found The Hunger Games to be very weak. Jennifer Lawrence was almost as good as Katniss Everdeen as she was playing Ree Dolly in Winter's Bone, but not as good. And she couldn't carry this movie on her own. The difference in integrity and compassion between Cinna and the rest of the Capitol crowd was well stated. The only other moderately believable characters were those with brief appearances: Prim, momma Everdeen, Gale, and the cat. The complexity of Peeta was never developed. Woody Harleson didn't even begin to capture the debauchery of Haymitch. Donald Sutherland was completely unconvincing as the cold, ruthless, and calculating President Snow. Stanley Tucci is, of course, great, but what could he do with the scrap of a character that was fed to him.

I suppose that the box-office success of the movie alone will encourage the two sequels to be produced. I only fear that the very same success will encourage even sloppier screen writing and production.
__________________
-Greg Harper

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 12:37 AM   #8
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists
 
JJuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Matawan, NJ, USA
Age: 53
Posts: 8,156
Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
Well, I used to trust your judgment. That's not fair, I still do. I can still thank your past recommendation for allowing me to understand Richard Dreyfuss' character's response, as a playwrite, to Sarah Braverman in the Parenthood series when he said, "Do you think Stanley Kowalski was an average bus driver? Do you think Marty was an average butcher?" I wouldn't have known who Marty was without your movie pick.

I found The Hunger Games to be very weak. Jennifer Lawrence was almost as good as Katniss Everdeen as she was playing Ree Dolly in Winter's Bone, but not as good. And she couldn't carry this movie on her own. The difference in integrity and compassion between Cinna and the rest of the Capitol crowd was well stated. The only other moderately believable characters were those with brief appearances: Prim, momma Everdeen, Gale, and the cat. The complexity of Peeta was never developed. Woody Harleson didn't even begin to capture the debauchery of Haymitch. Donald Sutherland was completely unconvincing as the cold, ruthless, and calculating President Snow. Stanley Tucci is, of course, great, but what could he do with the scrap of a character that was fed to him.

I suppose that the box-office success of the movie alone will encourage the two sequels to be produced. I only fear that the very same success will encourage even sloppier screen writing and production.
Ask Tom Blackwood about John Gorka sometime.
__________________
Raphael Lasar

To plotz is human, to Schvitz divine.
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 01:24 AM   #9
harper
768 - It's in your DNA
 
harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Age: 62
Posts: 8,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJuggle View Post
Ask Tom Blackwood about John Gorka sometime.
Why? I've had John Gorka's music in the house for 10 years.
__________________
-Greg Harper

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 11:30 PM   #10
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists
 
JJuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Matawan, NJ, USA
Age: 53
Posts: 8,156
Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
Why?
Because I said to, that's why. Or don't, if that suits you.
__________________
Raphael Lasar

To plotz is human, to Schvitz divine.
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 12:22 AM   #11
harper
768 - It's in your DNA
 
harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Age: 62
Posts: 8,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJuggle View Post
Or don't, if that suits you.
You've suddenly become very flexible.
__________________
-Greg Harper

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 10:43 PM   #12
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists
 
JJuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Matawan, NJ, USA
Age: 53
Posts: 8,156
Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
You've suddenly become very flexible.
You have no idea.
__________________
Raphael Lasar

To plotz is human, to Schvitz divine.
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 03:14 AM   #13
Milosboy
Live every week like its shark week
 
Milosboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
You've suddenly become very flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJuggle View Post
You have no idea.
I bet your wife is happy.
__________________
Happy cows come from California. Then at one point, PETA got into the mix and claimed that California cows were not happy. Of course, being the animal experts PETA aren't, they were unable to quantify any method of detecting cow happiness. - JF
Milosboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 03:36 PM   #14
nick
jerk on one wheel
 
nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hard Hittin', New Brittian, CT, US and A
Age: 30
Posts: 707
Send a message via AIM to nick
If you enjoyed the first book, do yourself a favor and skip the remaining two.

I'm not a huge fan of "young-adult" novels, but read it anyway (like you said, it is a very fast read). I thought it was a passable book, but nothing special. The second two are terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
You're a big Tucci fan if I remember. I trust your judgement in movies and Karen wants to see this one.

I just finished the book. Karen had it lying around. My son had recommended it to her. I was about a page into it when I realized it was written for 5th graders. That's OK, it was a fast, fun read.

I spoke with my son about it yesterday. He had assigned it to his high school students in Bogota. That's he he heard about it. They all speak fluent English but their reading skills are kind of behind their speaking skills. He wanted them to read some adolescent level prose.
__________________
later,
nick http://www.extreme.unicyclist.com
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 05:49 PM   #15
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists
 
JJuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Matawan, NJ, USA
Age: 53
Posts: 8,156
Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
If you enjoyed the first book, do yourself a favor and skip the remaining two.

I'm not a huge fan of "young-adult" novels, but read it anyway (like you said, it is a very fast read). I thought it was a passable book, but nothing special. The second two are terrible.
I have to more or less respectfully disagree. I also don't read a whole lot of young adult fiction, but my daughter recommended the first one to me. It was good, but I actually thought the second was even better. The third kind of dragged a bit though. (My kid never made it through the second two books.)

I thought the second one explored the meaning of power, resistance to power, and the relationship between the two more thoroughly and in depth. I enjoyed it. The third of course brought the whole thing to a conclusion but also did the whole, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" theme well.

And I have to say that overall these books aren't good because of the quality of the prose, they are good because of the story and themes they explore.
__________________
Raphael Lasar

To plotz is human, to Schvitz divine.
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hunger games, unicycle


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
24" Wheel in a 26" Frame Biped General Unicycling Discussions 16 2011-10-24 01:00 AM
unicycle in "meaningful use" hip-hop video Rower99 General Unicycling Discussions 3 2011-08-26 03:37 PM
Distance Unicycling in Los Angeles – Jump right in… the "NightRiding" is fine!! DancesOnH2O General Unicycling Discussions 13 2011-04-04 06:23 PM
Gravity Games--A whole article about us "hacking" the poll! Jax General Unicycling Discussions 15 2003-06-04 07:33 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2013 Gilby
Page generated in 0.13750 seconds with 12 queries