Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Latest Unicycling News! > News and Announcements

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-01-23, 01:53 AM   #16
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

The more the merrier!

So how does the webt site work for everyone?

I have not pit a bunch of time into it, in fact I have not touched it since I made it last weekend

Has anyone tried to contact me through the website?
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 02:21 AM   #17
munimag
Unicyclist

The website is nice - good information. I can't commit since it is a 10 hour drive for me, but I am going to try to make it.
munimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-25, 04:56 PM   #18
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
Ok so I am comeing going to try to bring a 36er and my MUni and trials and some people :P
do you need any help with anything ben?
Old 2012-02-25, 08:43 PM   #19
Municrazy15
Unicyclist

Talking

really confused i have heard a lot of good info concerning this event but where is it located(state). i dont travel much so this is getting me pretty excited cosidering its in the south east, and i am kinda new to the sport just looking to get involved does anyone know about the southeast munifest?

Last edited by Municrazy15; 2012-02-25 at 08:48 PM.
Municrazy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-25, 11:22 PM   #20
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

The more the merrier for sure! This is a great venue, worth the drive if you can manage it, maybe carpool with another forum member? Better yet, meet people along the way and get in some rides as you go, make it a real riding vacation!

As we get closer I'll start putting the activities together and asking for volunteers. Here the basics and where we stand for the "events":

Trials: I don't do trials, so that is one area that a volunteer(s) could really work up. Lower and Upper Chunky have a lot of rock outcroppings, but it's a "natural" area, so it'll take some scouting to put together anything more than a "follow the leader" sort of format. There is a lot of stuff out there, drops, boulders, enough to keep you busy.

Road ride: This one is bit simpler because all you need is a start/finish line and someone keeping track of time, but we'll need to come up with a format, maybe a time trial one day and a multi lap ride/tour the next. I rode with Robert today, he is a big time road rider and he is planning to attend, so maybe I can tap him to organize the road ride. The road loop around the resevoir is ~7 miles of mostly flat riding, very smooth asphalt, and halpf of the route is one way traffic only.

Downhill challenge: this can be done as a timed ride or we can do it as a group ride. Megawatt trail starts at the control center, so we need to shuttle folks to the start, but you end at Laurel Point so that will be an easy one to arrange. It's really not to hairy, some steeps, big rocks, some drops that can be ridden or walked, best part is that it's a downhill all the way.

XC freeride: There are a ton of choices here, so we can ride a diffent trail each day, out and back or point to point. The trails are not that hard, so something like Small Intestine can be done by beginner and experienced muni riders, slower riders can walk across loops and shortcut, so we could all finish together

Instruction and new to muni: this can be managed at Laurel Point on the easy trails and asphalt, there is a ton of space for this kind of riding and we should have a bunch of demo unis and anyone can pitch in to help teach.

I'm heading down there tomorrow to ride, so I'll do some more scouting and see if I can get some pictures together to show the quality of trails.

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-02-25 at 11:27 PM.
Old 2012-02-26, 02:24 AM   #21
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
I am super PUMPED
Old 2012-03-25, 07:12 PM   #22
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

I just did some updating on the website, still can't make some functions cooperate, so if you need to contact me, send me an email:

southeastmuni@gmail.com

I'm still looking for folks to help organize the road events and the trials...

Also, keep in mind that you must have proof of USA membership in order to participate in the events. This is the only way that I could get event insurance without spending a whole lot of money.

USA is not speedy about sending you a confirmation once you've sent in your application, so don't wait, DO IT TODAY!

Count down, less than two months, don't wait, make the plans, get involved, attend this event and I guarantee you'll get your money's worth

Also, has anyone gotten the UDC fliers for event? Do they make sense?

If you are thinking about attending the event, please send me an email so I can start getting a head count.

Thanks!
Old 2012-03-26, 01:00 AM   #23
Galthrojh
Musician/Songwriter

What membership?
Old 2012-03-27, 01:38 PM   #24
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
Also, keep in mind that you must have proof of USA membership in order to participate in the events. This is the only way that I could get event insurance without spending a whole lot of money.
http://uniusa.org/membership/

$25 a person, annual fee, supports events, some cool member benefits.

This is the only way I can cover myself and you during this event, cheap insurance, no other costs to you, but you gotta have it to play.
Old 2012-04-09, 05:01 PM   #25
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

I went to the campground and reserved three group campsites, each will accomodate four people (or so), sites are $20/night, reservation is from Noon on Friday May 18th to Noon Sunday, May 20th.

These are primo sites: #78, 80, 82, located in the back corner, lots of riding space and a big fire pit, away from the RV's.

I am planning to use site #80 for me and mine, the other two sites I have to be canceled 48hrs in advance or I'll get charged, so I'll need some commitments on camping.

If want a site for your own group, choose sites 84 or 86, these are adjacent to the sites I reserved and are nice and flat. Site 76 is kinda sloped and is not very deep.

I scouted out Megawatt for the DH/XC challenge as well as Upper Chunky for the natural trials, so look for some pictures on the website and on this thread.

This is a rain or shine event, so plan to ride!

I need a head count, so please send me an email or PM with the following:
Your name
Where you are coming from
How long you plan to stay,
Lodging plans
The type of riding you plan to do
Skill level/experience
Interest in helping with set up, teaching, guiding
Questions???
Old 2012-04-10, 12:21 AM   #26
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Here are some teaser pics from yesterday's ride at Raccoon Mountain:

Lastly, your host, me
Old 2012-04-11, 05:02 PM   #27
davidp
Unicyclist

Hey Ben, I received one of your flyers for this event with my recent order from UDC. Hope you get a great turnout; wish I wasn't so far away.
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 12:07 PM   #28
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
Hey Ben, I received one of your flyers for this event with my recent order from UDC. Hope you get a great turnout; wish I wasn't so far away.
It's not that far, one day each way, just make it a big road trip

I'm thinking of heading your way this summer, hitting trails in VA, PA, WV, etc...
Old 2012-05-04, 12:26 PM   #29
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Preliminary Head Count:

Me, Karen (wife), Alex (son), his buddy
Wes (Knoxuni) and his buddy
Josh (UDC)
A family group fro Memphis, nine total, four unicyclists
A father, son, buddy from Alabama, three unicyclists
Another family group of four from West TN, up to four riders

I know some more folks are planning to come from Alabama and Georgia, but no final commitments YET, but it looks like a good turnout, 20 plus riders.

The three campsites I reserved are filling up, so if you are more than a couple people, you should call the campground a reserve a site. I have already reserved sites 78, 80, 82.

The area where we are camping has two remaining small sites: 76 and 92, and four remaining large sites: 84, 86, 88, 90. There is plenty of room for overflow camping and parking, so don't worry if the sites are booked when you call, we will find room for one and all

Anyone who is on the fence, you should jump on down, commit to the drive, it'll be well worth it.

Don't be the one that says: .."if only I'd gone to the Southeast Muni Gathering..."

Send me a PM if you have questions or you want my phone number to talk
Old 2012-05-04, 02:37 PM   #30
MuniSano
Hartman Rocks, Uncompahgre beyond..

Not riding very much right now...

You guys have fun. I'm just not feeling the itch to get back into doing any serious riding for a while. I'm a bit gun shy since my stress fracture I sustained in Moab last summer, easing back into my riding. I'm also on the hook for a very long ultramarathon run next month that I'm training for (Ultrabalaton 212km in Hungary) so all I have time for is running! But after that I'm really going to focus on getting back into riding; hopefully I'll be game for some sort of multi-day epic this Fall? If nothing else I'd like to go visit and ride some trail systems I've never ridden.

All the best!

Rob

Tags
1920, 2012, munifest, ride the raccoon, southeast