Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-04-15, 08:03 AM   #271
Eddbmxdude
THE original 12" Trials vid

My 24" Gazz is wearing out I've been ignoring it for a while but I will need to replace it soon.
Whats the closest alternative I can get? I really need a 3" wide tyre because of the drops I do.
Old 2012-04-15, 10:52 AM   #272
Feisty
Unicyclist

Location: Worthing, England Unicycle 1: KH20 LN Sold Unicycle 2: KH24 (HS33) Sold Unicycle 3: 24 Impact Gravity Unicycle 4: KH26 (Disc) rebuilt Unicycle 5: KH29 (Disc) Unicycle 6: Triton 36 (Disc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddbmxdude View Post
My 24" Gazz is wearing out I've been ignoring it for a while but I will need to replace it soon.
Whats the closest alternative I can get? I really need a 3" wide tyre because of the drops I do.
I have been hunting the UK for a Gazz for the last 3 months without much luck in the end I have just found a mate who does Dirt Jumping and some of his friends run 24" so have found someone with an almost new one they will sell me for £15.

They really are rare as hens teeth over here.

I have been running a Duro but have no direct comparison to the Gazz, but it certainly doesn't let me down (but then I am noob who does tiny drops).

The other option you might want to take is to go for a Large Marge rim as that is really meant to help the tyre on drops as the side walls are more parallel. I will be ordering my LM and UDC disc rim this week
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 08:37 PM   #273
mtb
Unicyclist

My Qu-Ax Cross 29 came with a Kenda Karma tyre, which has served me well over the last year or so. Unfortunately I got a wire through the sidewall quite a while ago and the tube is starting to bulge through.

I am therefore looking for a replacement tyre, and I think I might as well try something new instead of just replacing the tyre with an identical one. The closest LBS has a few 29er tyres immediately available, but I am sure I can ask for them to order something else:

* Schwalbe Racing Ralph
* Maxxis Crossmark
* Bontrager XR1

I am mostly using this uni for road-riding along with some cross-country races. My muni style is rolling-based, rather than hopping.

I have heard that the Racing Ralph has rather thin sidewalls, but is great on hardpack. It is also the most expensive, but not relatively comparable. I would rather have something a little beefier, since thorns are relatively common in the races. The Crossmark and Bontrager do not seem to have been reviewed much here.

In addition, for some reason, I do not have much clearance between the frame and the tyre (I have seen a newer Qu-Ax 29er and they seem to have made some changes, one of which is the clearance). Does anyone have any suggestions of which of these might be most suitable for my purposes?
mtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 09:41 AM   #274
Eddbmxdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisty View Post
I have been hunting the UK for a Gazz for the last 3 months without much luck in the end I have just found a mate who does Dirt Jumping and some of his friends run 24" so have found someone with an almost new one they will sell me for £15.

They really are rare as hens teeth over here.

I have been running a Duro but have no direct comparison to the Gazz, but it certainly doesn't let me down (but then I am noob who does tiny drops).

The other option you might want to take is to go for a Large Marge rim as that is really meant to help the tyre on drops as the side walls are more parallel. I will be ordering my LM and UDC disc rim this week
Don't really want to go for a Large Marge. Its way overkill and looks stupid in my opinion.
I'll probably go with the Duro and see how it rides.

Cheers!
Old 2012-04-16, 11:24 AM   #275
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

@ Edd, talking as somebody who never does big drops so is quite probably talking out of my rear, I thought the Duro had thicker sidewalls than the Gazz - so shouldn't it be even better for landing drops?

Other than that, it's a rounder profile than the Gazz, which I personally prefer for handling, but people say the squarer profile of the Gazz is better for riding skinnies and traction on steep slippery climbs. I've only ridden a Gazz a few times on borrowed unis, so it's possibly just what I'm used to, but I actually prefer the Duro - can't see what all the fuss is about with the Gazz

Rob

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 11:49 AM   #276
Eddbmxdude

Cheers Rob. Looks like the Duro might be a good alternative then. I must admit, I've never ridden another muni tyre except the Halo Ception (Never again btw, rubbish tyre and a total waste of money).
Old 2012-04-16, 12:09 PM   #277
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Quote:
I've never ridden another muni tyre except the Halo Ception (Never again btw, rubbish tyre and a total waste of money).
The Duro Leopard is the same thing as a Halo Contra. The Ception looks to be a narrower (2.6"?) version of the same thing to me - what was it you didn't like about the Ception?

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
Old 2012-04-16, 12:22 PM   #278
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Well I've pulled the trigger on a Fat Albert 2.4 (front) - I figure somebody has to try one. Also found a German mag review in which they preferred it to a Rubber Queen. Got an Evo Snakeskin one for £23, when a Black Chilli RQ would have been twice that (and even a basic version still more expensive).

Have just got fed up with the weight of the Duro - not convinced I need it for the riding I do, and the extra kg of weight (+ however much for the 3" tube) makes hopping onto stuff harder work. Meanwhile it's still to muddy for my Ralph.
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 01:14 PM   #279
Eddbmxdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.northcott View Post
The Duro Leopard is the same thing as a Halo Contra. The Ception looks to be a narrower (2.6"?) version of the same thing to me - what was it you didn't like about the Ception?
I think the Ception might even be a 2.4. It was definitely too skinny anyway, if I had it pumped up enough to avoid smashing the rim off the ground it was much too hard and twitchy. The compound of the rubber is horribly hard and gives absolutely no grip. I put it on my trials bike and I can wheelspin on dry tarmac!
Old 2012-04-16, 03:46 PM   #280
mtb
Unicyclist

I have given them another call and they also have the Kenda Happy Medium, which I have not found any reference to here either.

On the downside, 2.1 is a bit narrow for muni, from what most of what I have read.
Old 2012-04-16, 04:22 PM   #281
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Quote:
The compound of the rubber is horribly hard and gives absolutely no grip. I put it on my trials bike and I can wheelspin on dry tarmac!
I wouldn't say that about the Duro - lots of rocky stuff round here as you know, and it grips well on that. Not as soft and grippy as something like a black chilli Conti tyre (or a trials tyre), but I wouldn't say it's hard rubber.

If you were closer I'd say borrow mine and see if you like it... but surely somebody you see more often must have one? The 3" tyre is a bit overkill for me really - I was seriously thinking of going to a 2.4 Rubber Queen on the 26", but now I've got the 29er for xc it's quite nice to have a silly bomb-proof tyre on the 26 for all the rock gardens - quite a nice skill-compensator

Rob

Old 2012-04-16, 05:32 PM   #282
danger_uni
Kris Holm

One thing to consider is the rim width versus the tire casing size. In my experience, a wider rim (within reason and limited by weight) seems to give the impression of higher volume without necessarily requiring the weight of a bigger tire or thicker sidewalls, and lets you drop the pressure slightly without the tire being prone to foldover. There is a noticeable increase in stability, for example, between the Ardent 29x2.4 on a 38 mm KH rim versus a 47 mm KH rim, without any difference in weight.

Kris
danger_uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 06:18 PM   #283
mtb
Unicyclist

So no advice regarding my tire choices?
Old 2012-04-19, 08:12 PM   #284
danger_uni
Kris Holm

On a 26 I am really liking the Maxxis High Roller single ply 26x2.5" tire. Works for all the riding I do on my KH26 and it's under 1000 grams. Previously I used a single ply 26x2.7 tire that at just over 1000 grams was really good. I'm planning to test the single ply High Roller 26x2.7 although locally they are very hard to find. Most places don't stock it.
Kris
danger_uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 02:21 PM   #285
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Have fitted the Fat Albert 2.4 - was exactly 750g on my scale, which along with the lighter tube than the DH one needed for the Duro means I've saved almost 1.2kg over the Duro. Measured 59mm wide fitted to a Nimbus 42mm rim, which is a bit narrower than I expected - what do Rubber Queen 2.4s measure? I pumped it up to 25psi, a bit below the recommended min of 2 bar (29psi) marked on the tyre, though the website suggests you can go to 1.6 bar.

First impressions on tarmac only - can really feel the difference in weight, and it also rolls significantly faster than the Duro. Can't remember how it compares to the Racing Ralph I've used previously, but given I've been mostly riding a slick 29er the last couple of days and it didn't feel noticeably slow compared to that, I can't believe I'd feel much difference in rolling. Actually quite surprised how well it rolls at that pressure. No obvious handling problems with sidewalls folding, so I'm actually tempted to try a little less air - though it felt pretty good rolling off a kerb and hopping. So far I'm quite impressed, though the off-road test awaits.
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muni, official, page, review, tyre