Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-04-12, 03:20 AM   #1
Grizoo
Unicyclist

Friendly warning !!!

Hi Everybody, Finally climbed out of a large hole and life is back to normal again.
Had a great christmas and new year with family and friends, new uni for me. everything great, then second week of school and my youngest son complains of a bad knee. see the doctor and its a normal small tear of a small ligament normal for active growing 13 year old, he limp's for a day at school and this takes us to friday night. He says knee feels better but his hip hurts, by sunday night he's running a fever and can't sleep with the pain in his hip. Monday straight to hospital emergency
and to cut along story short. It was a Staphylococcus Bacterial infection which attacked the hip joint, anyway after 24 days in hospital and two surgery's a month with cruches he finally got on his uni this weekend very careful riding. He can not do any sports or activeties involving impacts for at least another month. I am very thankful that there is no perminent damage done as it did not attack the bone or cartilage.
My warning comes because with all the tests my son had they are 80% sure that it entered his body by him picking and playing with a small cut he had on his leg, so no picking and clean and look after any cuts an grazes or peddle bites you get with a good antiseptic ointment and with clean hands. It's still a bit of a lottery to catch it but apprently there are 30 types of this bacteria and some are building a resistance to antibiotic's and becoming more difficult to treat!!!

Anyway must say a quick thanks to any doctor's and nurses on here you peole are amazing!!!
Grizoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 09:15 AM   #2
57UniRider
Talent is really an ability to work

Hi Grizoo,

Thanks for the warning.
That sounds like quite an experience!
Good to hear your son is mending.

Last edited by 57UniRider; 2012-04-12 at 09:16 AM.
57UniRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 12:08 PM   #3
Milosboy
Live every week like its shark week

Thanks for the reminder, Griz. Staph (and other infections, for that matter) can be serious, but no one ever thinks it will happen to them.
Happy cows come from California. Then at one point, PETA got into the mix and claimed that California cows were not happy. Of course, being the animal experts PETA aren't, they were unable to quantify any method of detecting cow happiness. - JF
Milosboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 08:08 AM   #4
thieum
Tee-Um

I'm happy you avoided the worst. As a father I totally relate, and share your gratitude towards the medical folks and health care in general.
thieum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 07:25 PM   #5
Zzagg
Threadjack surfer

pretty same thing happened to my niece, she endorsed really bad pain but went OK in the end.
She couldn't walk for 3 month if I remember well.
Even knowing that, I'm afraid I won't take proper care of each skin scratching more than I'm used to but I'll try and remember that advice and will most probably be carefull about the issue for my kids.
Thanks for the advice and glad to see that things got back in order for you all.

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways.
Till then I'll just keep riding on
Zzagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 08:23 PM   #6
Grizoo
Unicyclist

Thank you for your concern and you are right when everthing is going fine you don't give things a second's thought, then something nasty bites you in the backside. What I realistically learned from this is you can reduce the risk alot by not taking things for granted and looking after the small cuts and stuff properly, you don't have to become paranoid or adopt the atitude of Howard Hughes. But just think next time you are tempted to half look after yourself!!!

Just a thought I was brave enought to ask some questions after the treatment failed the first time and if this situation had occurred 150 years ago my son would have probably not lived longer than two weeks????
Grizoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 11:15 PM   #7
Zzagg
Threadjack surfer

On the same line, remember that shinguards are real bacteria nests.

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways.
Till then I'll just keep riding on

Last edited by Zzagg; 2012-04-13 at 11:16 PM.
Zzagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 03:21 AM   #8
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

even worse, all your skin is covered with bacteria, which starts increasing from the moment you get out of the shower

you even have bacteria INSIDE your body ALL the time

and you probably have more bacteria in your mouth than a dog has in his or her mouth

and don't even mention how much bacteria is on your unicycle seat
Old 2012-04-14, 04:18 AM   #9
Milosboy
Live every week like its shark week

That bacteria is mostly benign though. It is important to protect our bodies from harmful, outside bacteria, which I believe is what Griz was getting at.
By all means Billy, if you want a demo, go eat fecal matter for a few days and the illness will come rolling in. Or you could just slather it on some road rash. It works either way.
Happy cows come from California. Then at one point, PETA got into the mix and claimed that California cows were not happy. Of course, being the animal experts PETA aren't, they were unable to quantify any method of detecting cow happiness. - JF
Milosboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 06:03 PM   #10
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milosboy View Post
go eat fecal matter for a few days and the illness will come rolling in.
because it's INSIDE you
Old 2012-04-14, 11:21 PM   #11
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheMountain View Post
you even have bacteria INSIDE your body ALL the time

and you probably have more bacteria in your mouth than a dog has in his or her mouth
And if you think that's gross, ask yourself when was the last time you cleaned your computer's keyboard?

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 12:28 AM   #12
Biped
Ischial Tuberitus

This thread is relevant but has the potential to go in a hundred different directions:

1. MRSA from public gym equipment
2. The rise of anti-biotic germs due to too much ingestion of antiobiotic laced beef and chicken
3. Hospitals are the #1 source of disease
4. Big business influence of the FDA and the food supply from seed to table
5. Innoculation risks
6. Alternative vs. western medicine.

Like global warming, the trends are in place. At best we can adopt best practices to mitigate the risks, which is what the original post is about.

What we regard as "best practice" is an individual choice.

Thanks,
Biped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 04:45 AM   #13
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

and to think we contributed to this by taking antibiotics the wrong way, allowing anti biotic resistant strains to develop!
Old 2012-04-19, 02:34 PM   #14
UniBrier
Time To Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheMountain View Post
and to think we contributed to this by taking antibiotics the wrong way, allowing anti biotic resistant strains to develop!
Listen to Billy. He's been an expert on these things ever since his hero, Richard Nixon, suffered from a staph infection in 1960 after a knee operation.

But his interest really took off with Nixon's next infection in 1972, here is Billy's cherished button:
Attached Images

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer

Last edited by UniBrier; 2012-04-19 at 02:35 PM.
UniBrier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
friendly, warning