Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-03-27, 01:45 AM   #976
TopHatPlus
Unicyclist

Sunday was GREAT! the weather was superb! my girlfriend was home! i was down at a local park with about 8 friends, and some siblings, unicycling, street boarding, and long board, it was a great day i got some great riding in and got some tan action happening! New seat tomorrow! (thought monday was the 27th)

Nice Video Alucard! I need to get me one of those big wheels!!! haha!!!!
TopHatPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 01:58 AM   #977
TopHatPlus
Unicyclist

On a side note, a friend of my brothers, brother is a unicyclist, he has a 29er, an 20" flat land, and can do some pretty sweet trials and distance riding, so i will be hanging out with him! haha time to get my learn on!
Old 2012-03-27, 05:16 AM   #978
krjames
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Hey krjames
I can't remember when I got my 26" I think it was April 2011
Oh, well I'll be, nearly a year ago, fancy that
We're not fudging the date are we????
Anyway after 2 years and 3 months I now have 3 wheels! So the answer to the question I never get here is of course; " At home!"

Neat video, that has to be the greatest training ground ever, hope you can get out on it every weekend until you hit the hills
Of course I'm now waiting for the version with a musical background

Cheers
"If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV."
ó Homer Simpson
Haven't got the karate suit
krjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 11:44 AM   #979
jojoxie
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Hey Guys
Here's my vid from this weekend. One thing I did notice was how difficult it was to judge the uneven ground while wearing sunglasses. I rode much better without them.
Any ideas on what type would be suitable? polarised or non polarised etc?
Our broadband was very slow this morning but I finally managed to watch your video Alucard. Thanks for posting it (thanks to the camera man too). Yes, that looks a great practice ground for developing early muni skills. In my inexperienced opinion would it be better to have slightly longer cranks for rough ground?
As far as sunglasses go I have no idea. The problem with my prescription sunglasses is slight distortion at the edge.

Have fun.
Joseph.

Last edited by jojoxie; 2012-03-27 at 11:47 AM. Reason: forgot to include some information.
jojoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 08:46 PM   #980
Alucard
Unicyclist

Hi guys.

Thanks for the comments.
krjamesMe fudge the date? Never your honor
I left the original sound on so we could all hear the birds twittering in the background , in between the traffic noise. This is a field where cameraman hubby flies his rc planes. So I will be able to play with my uni while he plays with his planes. Funny thing, today he bought a plane called a UNI jet, freaky eh
jojoxie the cranks are the ones that I ordered with the uni. The plan being that I would use it to ride along the flat prom. I still do that, but I had another plan in my mind. ( bear with me, it's a bit long winded) and that is why I have started riding 'off road' with it. This plan is to get a bigger wheel, with a brake. Then I can cycle from my front door, down a steep gravel path, along more gravel tracks and through some pot holes. Then get onto a flat smooth road, through a campsite, and then along another gravel track, along a boardwalk. Park up at my mother's house, have a brew, and then turn round and cycle home. A ride of about 4 miles or so, probably more.
I like the idea that I don't have to put my uni in the car and thus have to pay for parking.
I've written so much I've forgotten where I was, ah that was it. I didn't buy any more cranks cos they're cotterless and my next uni will be isis. My 24'' muni has dual 125' and 150' and they are brilliant.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 12:20 AM   #981
TopHatPlus
Unicyclist

Well it has happened... i have received my seat! I got it installed, it is hard to believe the difference in seats... The quality and attention to detail, i was also able to raise my seat by about 2".

I am damn excited to take this thing for a spin!!!! May i also add it makes my unicycle look BAD ASS!!!!

Having a piece of Kris Holm gear on it makes me feel like a real unicyclist! O_O
Attached Images

Old 2012-03-28, 09:05 AM   #982
alix71
Unicyclist

New thread member...

Hi to everyone,

I have already exchanged hi's with some of you over here: http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...t=92164&page=2 and since i have finally got my uni, i believe that thread can be put to rest.

So, i though i'd join this lot since i am definately in the learning camp and am also NSYO as well. Well, maybe NSOO as some of you but...

It's been 3 days i've been experimenting with the uni and except from a couple times i managed to do 7-8 pedals, the rest of the time has been UPD after UPD, 3-4 pedals max, a few small falls and a big crash on my back from last saturday that is still hurting.

I've been wearing my back protection thing since and i am looking to start buying some more protective gear. I planned on getting shin guards anyway but will buy elbow guards and a helmet asap.

I am at around page 15 of this thread and reading the first 5 over and over since that's probably the most relevant part for a noob like me.

Glad to be here, glad to have caught the bug, hope i manage to make some progress going forward. The few times i've managed to do more than 10 feet felt so good

Cheers

Alex
alix71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 10:01 AM   #983
57UniRider
Talent is really an ability to work

Hello alix71,

Sounds like you are doing great!
The revs will multiply!

What kind of uni are you riding?

Hey Top Hat!

Exactly what saddle did you get?
I'm going to order one soon.
So... do you recommend the one you just installed?
What differences have you noticed already?

Thanks!
57UniRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 11:24 AM   #984
TopHatPlus
Unicyclist

Welcome alex!

57uni-

I have not taken it out for a scoot yet, but i did some stationary tests in my apartment, its a much firmer seat, but it was night and day for balance! I was able to balance in one place WAY better then i could prior, it was like sitting on a perfectly contoured platform >_<I was pretty excited!!! i am hoping to get out tonight and see what it really does and get a few scratches into it.

I will post more
Old 2012-03-28, 08:15 PM   #985
Alucard
Unicyclist

Hi alix71

Yeah! Good for you. Keep at it and think '' bum on seat''
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 12:29 PM   #986
Samstoney
semi-skilled laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alix71 View Post
Hi to everyone,

It's been 3 days i've been experimenting with the uni and except from a couple times i managed to do 7-8 pedals, the rest of the time has been UPD after UPD, 3-4 pedals max, a few small falls and a big crash on my back from last saturday that is still hurting.

I've been wearing my back protection thing since and i am looking to start buying some more protective gear. I planned on getting shin guards anyway but will buy elbow guards and a helmet asap.
Alex
Hi Alex, from my perspective you're doing well. It took me weeks to get to the point I could go more than 20 ft or so. But pleeese drop everything and go get yourself a helmet! Now, while you're beginning, is when you're most likely going to have the uni shoot out from underneath you and land right on the back of your head; knowing that you were about to get one is going to make you feel even dumber as you lie on your couch, dizzy from a concussion or worse. Don't worry about being picky about what kind of helmet for now, just get some kind of protection on as you continue through the "falling more than riding" phase. All your other body parts will heal somewhat easily. protect your head.

I don't mean to sound like a zealot, but I had a real bad slammer about a week into learning, and I felt the pain all over as I read your post. Yes, I was wearing a helmet, and I was fine after a few minutes, and up and riding again.

But back to leaning - did you ever think you could be so proud of 7 or 8 pedals? I still remember whooping and running into our house to brag after I first managed to make it the length of my driveway - about 20 feet! Learning to ride has been one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Sam
Samstoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 09:10 AM   #987
alix71
Unicyclist

Yesssssssss!!!!!!!!!

First up, thanks all for the kind words and welcome.

@ 57UR: I got a 20Ē Qu-Ax profi
@ Sam: My back still hurts and actually the pain and soreness have migrated towards my neck. Will make sure to get me the full monty in protective gear. I was thinking about getting the KH shin guards and everything else from Six Six One. Any other suggestions?

So, yesterday (Iíd call it day 4 I guess, i was tangled in other stuff for a couple days so wasnít able to do any training) turned out to be a BLAST!!!!

First 30 minutes or so I was back to square one. Was barely getting 3-4 pedals max and going longer seemed (at the time) impossible. Then, I started getting into it, did a few 7-8 pedal runs and it all started to feel good again.

I had been practicing on a basketball court (open court but very flat and smooth) and after try and try and try again, I landed my first 30+ footer I lost count of the pedals and walked to where I took off from and it was 11-12 large steps away (that should be approximately 10+ meters!!!!).

You can all imagine how that felt

Didnít manage to repeat that but was so pleased that I couldnít stop smiling till I called it a day about a half hour later.

Most runs were offcourse rather wobbly (i mostly turn right) but I took great satisfaction from some of them because by twisting my body and flailing my arms I managed to do a few feet more before I UPDíd. Saving it, is also a great feeling!

All in all, a very good day. Hope I get better today!

Tips, from my perspective:

Make sure the seat is high enough. Mine probably isnít. I think so anyway because sometimes I catch myself trying to pedal and the damn thing wonít turn. I didnít have tools with me (have an allen key with you whenever training) so will raise the seat today but I am pretty sure it will make things easier.

Lean a bit forward. When I started leaning I managed to consistently (well at this point a 20%-25% success ratio is a big deal) do at least 3-4 more pedal strokes than before.

TGIF!!!!

Cheers all
Old 2012-03-30, 12:44 PM   #988
alix71
Unicyclist

A few questions i forgot to ask, please bear with me:

1. What tire pressure did (or do) you use for learning? I have a 20'' and run it at around 55ish? Go lower? Stick with it? I am training/learning on very smooth flat ground. I weigh around 80kg and am 6.2''.

2. My uni has 114 mm cranks. Go for longer ones? Will that make learning easier? If so, what size?

3. Any comfy seat suggestions? KH freeride? Nimbus Gel? Other?

4. Since i am asking, reiterating safety gear question from post above. KH shin guards and all other stuff Six Six One? Suggestions?

Thanks all

Cheers
Old 2012-03-30, 03:02 PM   #989
57UniRider
Talent is really an ability to work

Hi alix71,

Well, longer cranks. 114 is short. I think most beginner 20"s come with 125 cranks. Some here have said that even longer cranks starting out could be helpful.

I don't know much about the rest of your questions just yet.
Padding of some sort will help your seat. I made my own from an $8 neck pillow I found at WalMart, but I'm about to swing for a KH, I think.
57UniRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 01:12 AM   #990
TopHatPlus
Unicyclist

Please note i am not that knowledgeable about unicycles, more am i good or experienced...

From what i have gathered over the last 8 months longer cranks = increased stability and from what i have gathered it makes sense, slower riding and more control. I have no idea what i have on my uni, its not a common uni and there is little if any info available..

Seats... i had a axion seat (in the photos posted above, it had tons of padding and was decently comfortable form that stand point, it was far to intrusive for me to ride... cause me extreme pain every ride... I purchased a Kris Holm (KH) fusion street saddle, i have only used it in my apartment so i have a very limited review... and with the LITERAL roller coaster weather... (i have experienced every season in one week...) it may be another day or two, but...

Comfort - 3/10 VERY similar to all of my bicycle seats.
Padding - 1/10 MINIMAL
Shape - 10/10 the largely decreased padding gives a much larger surface area, its a fair bit wider (THE LITERAL PREFECT WIDTH)
Overall rating - 9/10 it has already allowed me to do things i was not able, why such a high rating? ITS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED and i had never used one! The feel of it is like nothing i have ever experienced before and its almost magical, the precision fit is amazing! its lighter and just feels amazing! Padding? meh..

What do i recommend? If you want distance riding? The Fusion free ride, i have not had any desire to do any distance riding, i have some amazing bicycles and they are stupid fast so thats my ticket. If you are more interested in technical (which is the way i am leaning) the street is your ticket.

Like biking it doesn't matter what seat you buy there are more factors to calculate in, ie. the strength of your butt... how can i do a 100km ride on a skiing solid seat with a no suspension bike in 2 hours? my butt doesn't not touch the seat >_< and when it does BICYCLE SHORTS BYCICLE SHORTS BYCICLE SHORTS!!!! they wear like iron and fit like a glove, spandex padded inner liner make them amazing!!!! it doesn't matter what seat you end up with bicycle shorts will be your long lost friend! They are expensive (more then seats) and i average $120 per pair but oi can get 3-5 years out of a pair, they wear like iron!

So thats all i guess... =D

Tags
journal, learning