Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-08-02, 09:09 AM   #16
stingingkneeben
Ben Glynn

cant beat a few packs of these
Attached Images

Old 2011-08-02, 03:14 PM   #17
Milosboy
Live every week like its shark week

Are those sugar tablets?
Happy cows come from California. Then at one point, PETA got into the mix and claimed that California cows were not happy. Of course, being the animal experts PETA aren't, they were unable to quantify any method of detecting cow happiness. - JF
Milosboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 03:35 PM   #18
stingingkneeben
Ben Glynn

YEAH MAN!! seriously cant beat them a few packs of those weigh virtually nothing ( lighter than a jar of hunny :P) and are 80% sugar which is released straight into your system for a tasty little kick ( take with water though or thell suck you dry:P )
Old 2011-08-02, 03:59 PM   #19
Milosboy
Live every week like its shark week

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingingkneeben View Post
YEAH MAN!! seriously cant beat them a few packs of those weigh virtually nothing ( lighter than a jar of hunny :P) and are 80% sugar which is released straight into your system for a tasty little kick ( take with water though or thell suck you dry:P )
They're not going to be fueling though. I figure they would just give you a quick burst of energy and then you would use it up rather quickly.

IMO truly nutritious food is the way to go.
Happy cows come from California. Then at one point, PETA got into the mix and claimed that California cows were not happy. Of course, being the animal experts PETA aren't, they were unable to quantify any method of detecting cow happiness. - JF
Milosboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 04:04 PM   #20
stingingkneeben
Ben Glynn

but you fuel before a ride not during so yeah thats what there for quick boosts of fast acting energy
i bet even you cant fit a nutritious meal in you bag they tend to be quite big, thats where these little beauties come in
Old 2011-08-03, 01:34 AM   #21
ImFalling
Graham

I like to take a bag of pistachios for a mid ride snack. Usually also have muesli bar(s) and/or a banana. Dried fruit is good too. +1 on the Camelbak, mine has a 3L bladder and can fit some food, tools, wallet, keys, phone.
ImFalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 03:56 AM   #22
aarons
Eating a sandwich

The path I usually ride is about 5 miles long, so I've gotten used to getting off for a few minutes and having a drink every 5 miles. I don't like backpacks when it's hot since I sweat like crazy underneath them, so I clip my water bottle to the frame. I've mostly gotten used to weight of the bottle on the frame. I still occasionally have a silly mount where I weave all over the place and flail my arms. It keeps me humble.

I've tried and tried to get used to energy bars. They're very convenient. But I can't get past the taste. Those things are disgusting. I usually take a bag of peanuts and raisins in my pocket. I don't need much since I rarely ride longer than 2 hours.
aarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 04:07 AM   #23
ally1776
UniMudder

Send a message via Yahoo to ally1776
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons View Post
I've tried and tried to get used to energy bars. They're very convenient. But I can't get past the taste. Those things are disgusting. I usually take a bag of peanuts and raisins in my pocket. I don't need much since I rarely ride longer than 2 hours.
Aarons I had a similar reaction to energy bars until a coworker had me try the Balance Bar, the bar isn't bad in comparison to some. Here is the link to info about the bars in case you're interested.
http://www.balance.com/varieties/

Sorry not trying to thread jack

My Twitter Page

I plan on riding unicycles till I break a hip and then I'll ride a little longer.

Last edited by ally1776; 2011-08-03 at 04:08 AM.
ally1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 10:44 AM   #24
napalm
Because i can.

I've been doing lots of MTB races on my Geared Muni (50-113km) in the past year or so and have had to come to grips with nutrition while riding. Being in the saddle for 3.5-8hrs+ at race pace means you need to get it right, or you don't finish. For races longer than 50km i carry 2, 2L bladders. One full of plain water, the other with a potent electrolyte sports drink mix (think 10x the recommended powder to water ratio). Its great to sip on- keep the cramps at bay and the sugars in it help lift the spirits. Also I have a GU energy gel every 45 mins. For the longer races I also eat a banana or two, take some sultanas (raisins), and a few muesli bars.

What I believe is just as important, however, is what you have consumed in the 2 days leading up to your big ride. You need to be fully hydrated (you know you have it right when you have to pee about 3 times in the morning before you start!). I abstain from all caffeine and booze the week before a big race to help in this. Also, I make a massive pasta meal that I eat for the 2 dinners and one lunch before the event. This puts you in a really good position to perform well and ultimately have a good time out there on the trails.

I have a 100km off road race this sunday so i'm in the middle of prep for it. I'll be able to refill my bladders at the 37 an 78km marks so I probably wont start with a full 2L water, and will take some more sports drink powder with me to top up later on in the day.

Mark
napalm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distance, long, riding