Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-08-01, 01:01 AM   #16
KiwiRichard
Unicyclist

John Foss, I am intrigued that you say idling a 36 isn't useful or enjoyable. I might go along with it not being enjoyable, but I find it very useful when cycling in city streets. I have just learnt to idle over the last 3 months, and while it's no use on the trails, I find it very useful when stopping at intersections. If you get off your uni at an intersection, you are a pedestrian standing in the middle of the road! At least while you are idling, you have a reason to be there and cars can see your intentions.

Also, and I know you will appreciate this, it is fun to learn these skills.
Old 2011-08-01, 05:11 AM   #17
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRichard View Post
If you get off your uni at an intersection, you are a pedestrian standing in the middle of the road! At least while you are idling, you have a reason to be there and cars can see your intentions.
So are you between two lines of cars, like waiting to make a turn? Even on the side, with cars only on one side, idling takes up a lot of space on large wheels. You must have some good precision to do it without taking out any side mirrors or other cyclists who come up behind you.

When I stop at an intersection among cars, I do what most other cyclists do; I put my foot down. Okay, usually both of them. I'm still as tall as the cyclists, and hopefully already between some stopped cars.
Quote:
Also, and I know you will appreciate this, it is fun to learn these skills.
Yup, and potentially useful in other areas. If you learn to idle on a 36", doing it on any smaller wheel is going to be that much easier!

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish

Last edited by johnfoss; 2011-08-01 at 05:12 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 01:28 AM   #18
KiwiRichard
Unicyclist

Thanks John, you are right. I wouldn't idle at every intersection, but often, I just need to let one car, or a pedestrian go, and a short idle seems like the appropriate thing to do.

Yes I believe that it should be easier to idle on a smaller wheel, and I would have learnt faster on the 29. However since I have learnt on the 36, I find it harder on the 29.

My big challenge comes next weekend, when my 36 schlumpf hub is ready to ride.

Thanks again,

Tags
idle, long