Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-08-01, 06:17 PM   #16
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I'm not familiar with the Arrow tire but as an aside my DX 24 came stock with a Kenda Kinetics tire (2.5") that was not a very nice tire to ride on. It always seemed to kick me around and I always felt off balance with it regardless of what type of surface I was riding on or what pressure it was set at. I have a Duro Leopard tire (this is under a different name now I think) on my KH 24 that i just love for any kind of riding. It's classed as an off road 3" tire and I usually have it set @ 15 psi. (I'm light)
The DX comes w/ a 2.6" tire (mine did anyway). I don't think Kenda makes that tire in a 2.5. I run it as low as I can w/o hitting the rim, which for me is 13 psi.

I also have a 3' Arrow Widebite, it's 66mm wide when mounted on my rim. I could run it @ 8 psi w/o hitting the rim but would get pretty squirmy, I liked it best at 11. It has a much rounder profile, grippier, heavier, stiffer sidewalls, and an effective larger diameter. The extra inertia made it harder to change speeds (both good and bad), harder to turn at high speed, & climb on unless I maintained a moderate constant speed, after which it became slightly easier to climb. The rounder profile made it turn better by leaning, but harder by pivoting, which I attribute to the extra grip. The effective larger diameter increased speed but made steeps harder (which were plenty hard for me already w/ the Kenda).

Overal I preffer the Kenda, since I don't do drops and the benefits of a 3" tire aren't worth the downsides for me, so I put the Kenda back on. Also I don't know if it's just that I got used to the square profile, in addition to the turning differences, it seemed to deflect off the sides of rocks and follow ruts less than the rounder Arrow. It would be nice to have a bit more cussion, so when I wear it out I'm gonna get a 2.7" Maxis High Roller.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2011-08-01 at 06:23 PM.
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, unicycles, work