Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-03-02, 11:49 PM   #16
UNO
Unicyclist

johnfoss - is the handle you use the "shadow"?

http://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-har...ow-handle-set/
Old 2011-03-03, 12:01 AM   #17
Dane M
Muni Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNO View Post
thanks for all the advice. i bought bike shorts today. they did help. . i also tried to tackle my first hill. i did not make it. i was hoping that bars might help with hills, and you confirmed it. i am definitely buying one. the question now is which.
Well learning to ride flat ground is different than learning to ride up hills, and learning to ride down hills. It's a whole different way of treating the pedals for both situations.

You'll enjoy those bike shorts.
Dane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 02:15 AM   #18
Buddy
Registered User OF CANDY!!!

Send a message via AIM to Buddy Send a message via MSN to Buddy Send a message via Yahoo to Buddy
I just got my KH T-Bar handle and I love it. You have to fix it if you get it because of a known problem. But all you need is a drill to do that and once it's fixed it's awesome.

How I miss my old account...
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 03:27 AM   #19
Tirving
Portland Chiropractor & Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
I just got my KH T-Bar handle and I love it. You have to fix it if you get it because of a known problem. But all you need is a drill to do that and once it's fixed it's awesome.
You shouldn't have to if it's a new one, they fixed the problem in the latest KH bar.
Tirving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 03:34 AM   #20
magnustudios
while(!try());

Handlebars make distance possible for me, especially when I'm carrying weight. I don't particularly like the t-7, but I do think it gets an overly-bad chance. It was my first bar, and took me on a little 4700km jog with a 40-lb backpack. (I didn't have bike shorts, but that's another story). Would not have been remotely possible without some kind of handlebar. I added some mountain-bike bar-ends that faced down, which helped a ton.

I'm putting all my weight behind (or rather, on?) the handlebar as the best investment for this problem. I now do long rides with triathlon aero-bar mounted on my KH t-bar. It's really amazing. I was able to consistently do 20-40km stretches without break on my last tour. I did snap the t-bar a couple days before the end. It's not perfect, but it's the best I know of.

Yeah, proper shorts do help, significantly. Get those too. If I had to pick one though, handlebar, no question.
magnustudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 04:14 AM   #21
Buddy
Registered User OF CANDY!!!

Send a message via AIM to Buddy Send a message via MSN to Buddy Send a message via Yahoo to Buddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirving View Post
You shouldn't have to if it's a new one, they fixed the problem in the latest KH bar.
All I know is that I ordered my KH bar only two weeks ago from UDC and it still needed fixing. So maybe mine was just part of the old faulty batch. Who knows. I just meant to warn UNO that it might happen but that it's completely fixable so no freaking out will occur. ;D

How I miss my old account...

Last edited by Buddy; 2011-03-03 at 04:21 AM.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 05:33 AM   #22
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNO View Post
johnfoss - is the handle you use the "shadow"?

http://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-har...ow-handle-set/
That's the one. A bit pricey, but the various parts give you lots of flexibility. you can also set the seat/handle angle, though you have to take the seat off to do this.

I don't recommend using a handle until your riding gets more solid and comfortable. Your initial handle should be the one built onto your seat. Those were once a luxury as well; before the 90s, no unicycle had one! Holding the seat handle will get you started in using it for extra leverage/power, and getting used to the idea of isolating your upper body from the pedaling.

At first, holding the handle may seem strange, or even impossible. Don't worry. As you get more comfortable in your riding, you will need your upper body less and less. At the same time, you will be freed up to to add more power into the pedals. This is where a basic seat handle comes in; it lets you pedal hard without lifting yourself up off the seat.

A touring handle mostly does the opposite; providing a place to rest some of your body weight while cruising. If you tried one right now, you probably wouldn't be able to do much with it other than slam it into the ground a lot (not recommended). In time you will also be able to pull up on it for greater stability and power in a more aerodynamic position.

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 05:45 AM   #23
UNO
Unicyclist

johnfoss - i rode my uni about 3 miles today with only one break... and i have not fallen (yet). i have also stopped flapping my arms. so in your opinion the "shadow handle" IS a good one for touring and relieving pressure off the saddle? i saw a set that are long and slender with a gentle upcurve, where they meet(?). i think i saw them on a unigeezer vid. do you know which these are? if so, any experience with them? thank you for all you help and advice everyone... my boys thank you.

Tags
balls, boys, handlebars, oww, weight